What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Ditto. I'm in for just over 4k in goodies so far and I think the only cosmetic items I've bought are a gas cap, double nut cover, powder coated valve cover and some mirror accent strips. Everything else has been a functional mod.

Speaking of gas caps, anyone know where I can find one that locks?

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Speaking of gas caps, anyone know where I can find one that locks?

Why???????????????? There are lots of them out on the market. Every body worries about locking everything up tight. I've never locked the glove box or the back storage space. I generally take the keys out of mine if I'm not in my home area.

I do carry a second gas cap in the storage area...have lost a couple of those.

• Why???????????????? There are lots of them out on the market. Every body worries about locking everything up tight. I've never locked the glove box or the back storage space. I generally take the keys out of mine if I'm not in my home area.

Granted, I've never had a locking gas cap on any vehicle I've owned, they were all behind a locked hatch, but most, if not all of the motorcycles I've owned have them. I'm not saying people are bad, but there are bad apples everywhere and it would give me a little piece of mind knowing that an idiot wouldn't be able to easily put something I don't want in my gas tank. That's all.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Why???????????????? There are lots of them out on the market. Every body worries about locking everything up tight. I've never locked the glove box or the back storage space. I generally take the keys out of mine if I'm not in my home area.

I have to laugh. I filled up in PA (Jersey doesn't allow public gas pumping) and I got distracted by a pretty girl. Forgot to reinstall the cap and drove off. A few miles down the road I had a strange feeling that I didn't reinstall the cap. Sure enough when I pulled over it was confirmed. Being about 50 mi. from home I doubled back for a look. Luck was on my side it was in the tire path of the passing lane on a busy highway but someone above was on my side! I parked the sling and waited as multiple vehicles passed but none in the passing lane. Finally all cleared and I grabbed the cap. Virtually unharmed! Sometimes you win!

• Granted, I've never had a locking gas cap on any vehicle I've owned, they were all behind a locked hatch, but most, if not all of the motorcycles I've owned have them. I'm not saying people are bad, but there are bad apples everywhere and it would give me a little piece of mind knowing that an idiot wouldn't be able to easily put something I don't want in my gas tank. That's all.

Many years ago my ex and I had a Chevy Astro van, we were up visiting relatives and they also had the same van. we parked right next to them overnight and when we came out in the morning someone had pried the locked hatch open on their van and siphoned all the gas - - I was really glad it was their van and not ours because the door/hatch was really messed up and the plastic parts of the latch were all broken - cost them way more to fix the hatch and the latch than what the gas was worth

Anyway after that I really never saw much point in locking gas caps or the locking hatches - if people really want my gas I would rather they just take it without causing any damage to my vehicle by trying to pry the cap/hatch off, heck even if the cap works and stops them they could still cause a great deal of damage trying to get it open.

As to someone putting something in my tank - - never really worried about it - in all my years I only know of one guy who said someone put sugar in his tank and I always suspected he did it himself to make an insurance claim =O

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• As to someone putting something in my tank - - never really worried about it - in all my years I only know of one guy who said someone put sugar in his tank and I always suspected he did it himself to make an insurance claim =O

I taught high school for 30 years, and in some pretty rough places. Never had anyone put anything in my tank or mess with my car. Never heard of a colleague who had stuff in a tank either. Couple of people I know got keyed, but that's about it. I'm not buying a locking cap, either.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Anyway after that I really never saw much point in locking gas caps or the locking hatches - if people really want my gas I would rather they just take it without causing any damage to my vehicle by trying to pry the cap/hatch off, heck even if the cap works and stops them they could still cause a great deal of damage trying to get it open.

As to someone putting something in my tank - - never really worried about it - in all my years I only know of one guy who said someone put sugar in his tank and I always suspected he did it himself to make an insurance claim =O

Same here. Figure if they are desperate enough to want to risk their life to steal $20 (or less) worth of gas, I'll let them have it. Probably cheaper in the long run than a locking cap and/or damage to vehicle.

And as long as I don't piss anyone off too much, not worried about anything going in the tank. Heck, there are better ways to get revenge. (Did I say that out loud?)

• That is such a clean cool look not clunky.... and I really like the added grip tape look on it. BUT please elaborate on the "sand the edge" and how easy is it to remove. Can you turn it lose with just the key or do you NEED the grip tape?

....can you take it out and snap a pic , for us....I'm interested in one & since you posted the part # I found it on Amazon (thanks)

• That is such a clean cool look not clunky.... and I really like the added grip tape look on it. BUT please elaborate on the "sand the edge" and how easy is it to remove. Can you turn it lose with just the key or do you NEED the grip tape?

This would go to Red inquiring minds want to know:)

The outside edge of the cap is a little to big to fit easily in the raised edge around the fill hole. I spun the cap against some course emery cloth and took off about an 1/8 of an inch. The grip tape makes it easier to turn by using my palm to unscrew it. I use the key to lift it after unscrewing it. I'll pull it tomorrow and take a picture of the edge.

• I’m more worried about stolen gas....during the gas shortage lots of people had their tanks drained...

to fill a 30 gallon tank costs over $100..

just on our local news today.....someone is crawling under vehicles and cutting off catalytic converters....with portable saws ....

• I bought the BRP locking gas cap thru Amazon several years ago and still haven't gotten around to fitting it so I can actually use it! If I can find it in my garage, I guess I should just sell it since Ive gotten along so long s/o it.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Ok kids here's some photos to help explain the modification to the BRP cap.

This is the gap that's to tight.

This is the edge that needs sanded down.

You'll need to take off more if your fill hole isn't centered or loosed the retainer and center it.