What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies.....?

Attention Vendors. Please email robert@rabtech.com any instruction manuals you may have for your products. They will be added to the FILEBASE tab for members to access.
  • MiM got his lights from me. They are actually Rugged Ridge LEDs that have a heat rating of over 6000 so a very bright white.

Just an FYI. You can find them out there for less money but you have to be careful with what you order off Amazon. With LEDs you really do have to worry about the old saying " you get what you pay for".

I run the Rugged Ridge dual beams that have Amber running lights.

IIRC, I read at least one review on LED lights where the reviewer pointed out the durability of Rugged Ridge LEDS. He replaced a different, cheaper brand with the RR units after the other lights ended up allowing water protection after a short exposure to rain.

• IIRC, I read at least one review on LED lights where the reviewer pointed out the durability of Rugged Ridge LEDS. He replaced a different, cheaper brand with the RR units after the other lights ended up allowing water protection after a short exposure to rain.

Full disclosure here.... I'm not promoting the brand just letting him know what MiM used. I actually work at Rugged Ridge but I'm really not interested in what brand someone ends up with. Only that they do a little research on the brand they might buy through Amazon. The Rugged Ridge brand are a private lable LED supplied by a reputable manufacturer. Just do your research that's all. LED lights is one of the most copied and knocked off product you will ever find out if China.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Full disclosure here.... I'm not promoting the brand just letting him know what MiM used. I actually work at Rugged Ridge but I'm really not interested in what brand someone ends up with. Only that they do a little research on the brand they might buy through Amazon. The Rugged Ridge brand are a private lable LED supplied by a reputable manufacturer. Just do your research that's all. LED lights is one of the most copied and knocked off product you will ever find out if China.

No problem. The reviewer stated that "You get what you pay for..." and reported disappointment with a cheaper brand.

• Hey Ruptured Duck thanks for chiming in. Marco told me they came from you so I kinda figured but had already ordered when he told me . Your probably right about getting what you pay for. That said they're in now and if I have a problem with them it looks like rugged ridge will fit my mounts. And for BKL I took a ride this evening just for you

This is my dims ( center lights only)

This is brights ( center lights)

This is brights and LEDs

Hope this helps :)

• MiM got his lights from me. They are actually Rugged Ridge LEDs that have a heat rating of over 6000 so a very bright white.

Just an FYI. You can find them out there for less money but you have to be careful with what you order off Amazon. With LEDs you really do have to worry about the old saying " you get what you pay for".

I run the Rugged Ridge dual beams that have Amber running lights.

Yep! I let DER know that they were from you, but I wasn't sure of the model , just that they probably are the ones a Jeep might use. 😉

They are so freaking bright it's ridiculous. I hardly ride at night, but when I do, it's practically daytime... 💡 (because they're so bright!!!)

• Today, I converted from standard air to Nitrogen in my tires. I know there are those who say this is bull, but I did it, and time will tell how well it works for me. I do have a boat trailer that is 3 years old and the pressure is right on where normally we lose pressure every year due to the seasonal temperature changes that we see in the Midwest.

I've used nitrogen in my tires for years. Very seldom get low pressure readings. My experience as an Aircraft Mechanic is the reason I use it. All aircraft tires are inflated with nitrogen.

• I have thought about this, there is a local place that does all their tires with nitrogen and my brother in law takes their vehicles there for tires and gets them topped off there whenever they get low. I havent bothered since I have a compressor sitting right in my garage next to our vehicles and it is just easier to do it at home.

one thing I have wondered is if the air that is in the tire before you pump the Nitrogen dilutes the Nitrogen or reduces the benefits - - I dont think there is any way to get 100% of the air out is there?

I used to think it was a sales gimmick until my neighbor an ex military helicopter mechanic told me they use it in all the tires because the higher you go up in the air the pressure forced air out of the tires. Nitrogen has a bigger molecule than oxygen so it has to squeeze out of a bigger hole.

Sooner or later all the regular air will leak out and you’ll have nothing but nitrogen.

I use it in all my vehicles.

And in the slingshot I also have The FOBOBIKE

Pressure monitors. Tells me in my recliner what the tire pressure is in the driveway.

And if I had a trailer i would definitely have them on it.

• Nitrogen has a bigger molecule than oxygen so it has to squeeze out of a bigger hole.

Sooner or later all the regular air will leak out and you’ll have nothing but nitrogen.

Sorry, no.

Nitrogen gas (N2) has a molecular weight of 28 amu*, while oxygen gas (O2) has a molecular weight of 32 amu. Oxygen also has 8 electrons (6 in the outer shell) while nitrogen has just 7 electrons, (5 in the outer shell.)

(amu = atomic mass unit)

Nitrogen is the *smaller* molecule, but in fact the difference in molecular weight and diffusion through a barrier is virtually undetectable.

Some folks say that oxygen causes more deterioration of the rubber; so I ask you, has anyone EVER seen a tire fail from the *inside out*!? Has anyone EVER taken an old tire off after years of road wear & found the *inside surface* crumbling and corroded?

No, sorry. There is no science to support the nitrogen myth, but there is ample evidence that dealerships and tire shops use it to bump up prices and tie consumers to their particular business. "Be SURE you come back to OUR shop Mr Jones! You don't want to dilute your nitrogen filled tires with a few puffs of ordinary air!" This of course gives the dealer many opportunities for follow on sales.

#snakeoil

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• The Doctor has spoken! #micdrop

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• ???? Is wiki wrong???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_diameter

Besides that, we don't put pure oxygen from our air compressors into our tires, how about the moisture?

Also an interesting read... Key word is Kinetic Diameter

https://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

2018 GT

Edited once, last by W0GEN ().

• Thank you - :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDM short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar & DDM mounts

MeanSling Sport Top & OEM Dual Windshield + Misc Goodies

• ???? Is wiki wrong???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_diameter

Besides that, we don't put pure oxygen from our air compressors into our tires, how about the moisture?

considering the fact that wikipedia is written by and contributed to by any one who wants to it isnt a good guaranteed source and is often wrong

• considering the fact that wikipedia is written by and contributed to by any one who wants to it isnt a good guaranteed source and is often wrong

I edited the post later and added the question specifically around molecular size? Doc is right, however I would like his take on this. The military and aviation does use it, and I know I do not have to inflate my tires every spring like i used to on my trailers.

Guess it is to each their own....

• I edited the post later and added the question specifically around molecular size? Doc is right, however I would like his take on this. The military and aviation does use it, and I know I do not have to inflate my tires every spring like i used to on my trailers.

Guess it is to each their own....

yep I agree, whatever makes people happy works for me

• Pressure stability and reduced water vapor are the big reasons.

Air alone is actually 78% nitrogen to start with. You are just eliminating 22% of stuff that causes pressure variations and corrosion causing water vapor.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Doc&Ruby , Doc you are compairing Nitrogen to Oxygen to plain air we breath, and that is what we inflate our tires with. The air we breath will leak out of tires over time and so will Nitrogen. It just takes longer for Nitrogen. And that is fact not science.

• Pressure stability and reduced water vapor are the big reasons.

Air alone is actually 78% nitrogen to start with. You are just eliminating 22% of stuff that causes pressure variations and corrosion causing water vapor.

I've had several GM vehicles with aluminum wheels. Many of those were daily drivers, so 10 plus years old. The rims could be cleaned and sealed, but they would start leaking months later. Then they got cleaned and filled with Nitrogen. No issues with leaks after that. I know of at least 4 cars I had that were that way, and all were fine after switching over to Nitrogen. Wasn't expensive, and fixed the issue. IMHO, not snake oil in some cases.....

• Doc&Ruby , Doc you are compairing Nitrogen to Oxygen to plain air we breath, and that is what we inflate our tires with. The air we breath will leak out of tires over time and so will Nitrogen. It just takes longer for Nitrogen. And that is fact not science.

all I know is that my brother in law who puts Nitrogen in his cars tires takes all three cars several times a year to have the Nitrogen topped off - - I am fairly sure the place he goes does this for free, but he still has to take the time out to take the vehicles to get this done.

I on the other hand have my compressor in my garage and I have a lock on tire chuck so that I can simply set the regulator at the pressure I want and clip the chuck on the tire valve stem and let it do its thing.

For me the benefits of Nitrogen are not enough to outweigh the convenience of being able to do it at home

• I've had several GM vehicles with aluminum wheels. Many of those were daily drivers, so 10 plus years old. The rims could be cleaned and sealed, but they would start leaking months later. Then they got cleaned and filled with Nitrogen. No issues with leaks after that. I know of at least 4 cars I had that were that way, and all were fine after switching over to Nitrogen. Wasn't expensive, and fixed the issue. IMHO, not snake oil in some cases.....

To add to this, anyone who lives in places with sub zero temps can confirm that Nitrogen filled tires do not loose air pressure during winter.

For example my vehicles tires normally make through a full MN winter without needing to be topped off unless I play chicken with pot holes(hint, the car always loose in that game), tires filled with normal air loose about 10# or more when temperatures drop from the normal above zero(10-32F) to below zero in january vs nitrogen tires that will likely drop no more than 2psi and only when shit really hits the fan (-20F or below) which means no stupid TPMS light annoying you.

Some of you can call it snake oil all you want but those of us in sub zero temp can easily confirm that it is not.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Nitrogen is delivered as a dry clean gas. Air from a compressor is saturated with moisture and this moisture will change the pressures in the tire depending on the temperatures it sees. Just remember the air your putting in from a normal air compressor is putting 78% nitrogen to begin with but its also has moisture in it