What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies.....?

Attention Vendors. Please email robert@rabtech.com any instruction manuals you may have for your products. They will be added to the FILEBASE tab for members to access.
  • Tire mod, and brake check. I was very surprised at the amount of pad I have left on the front brakes at 37,500 miles. I've not been easy on them at times.... but I might be into FunCycle area of lacking to hit the brakes after looking at them! I have more than a quarter inch of safe pad left. The new tires look great to me, put all 3 on this time. Stock front size for SL, 275/35R20 for rear and it appear to clear the fender with ease! (General G-Max RS)

Brakes in front...

Front tire....

Rear before.... ( ThomaSS stock tires and rims I was running since late last summer)

And the 275.....

• I like the looks of them, but not as good as the AS-03 tread pattern. I know we will find out how well they work out. Are you running the Hawk 5.0 pads? I need to take a look at mine, I do not remember how much pad is left. A lot of miles on them

• I had my SS inspected at a garage that does mostly cars but they do motorcycle too. He was really surprised by how thick my brake pads were at around 10500 miles...he made it sound like they would never need changed...LOL..like he never saw pads that thick.

• I like the looks of them, but not as good as the AS-03 tread pattern. I know we will find out how well they work out. Are you running the Hawk 5.0 pads? I need to take a look at mine, I do not remember how much pad is left. A lot of miles on them

I liked the look of the AS-03 better too, but this look is fine with me as long as they stick. The AS-03 was a good tire overall for what I used it for. As it aged and was getting worn (last 1/3 of the usable tread) it seemed to get hard and would spin very easily. I went back and checked the rating and it was 460 if I remember right. Just not sticky enough. These are 360, but appear softer than the Kendas which are rated 300. The tread depth looks deeper on the RS, so that may be the difference in rating. We have rain in the future, and this weekend I'll not be out on it so it may be a little bit before I can say much about them.

I'm still running stock pads. I meant to switch to the Hawk's, but just haven't. Like you, I'm not one to use the brakes that much. Except for the occasional clamping hard where I charged a corner too fast....

I had my SS inspected at a garage that does mostly cars but they do motorcycle too. He was really surprised by how thick my brake pads were at around 10500 miles...he made it sound like they would never need changed...LOL..like he never saw pads that thick.

For a motorcycle, the pads are very thick (likely 3 times as thick). But the Slingshot doesn't fit into a motorcycle category other than title/license/insurance to me. It's much closer to a open cockpit, two seat roadster with a swingarm and one tire in the back. Most of the parts used are off the shelf automotive types. With the SS only weighing 1700 plus, it takes less to stop it than a Honda Accord..... and from what I've read, the pad is the same. They should last well over 100,000 miles, I'm over a third of the way there and I doubt I've used 20% of the pad.

• I absolutely love this thing, it helps so much with noise and wind reduction inside the cabin. I can talk to my passenger easier and listen to my radio without having to crank it all the way up. Thank you so much lrobbi it is truly awesome. With the weather getting warmer it still allows just the right amount of air through. its the perfect amount of serenity. Truly awesome

• So, I get a call from the office.

Hey Doc, UPS dropped off a big big box for you!

Hey, giggity! It's from Kyle D !

In addition to the exhaust system, I ordered a ball cap and a couple of chrome badges, Kyle send some stickers and extra swag as well - thanks, mate!

Now I'm gonna have to bug dangerdarrell about a wrench day. I wanted to do this when the Captain was out of town... now I don't know if I can wait! I feel kinda like a kid who snuck downstairs before dawn on Christmas! 😄

I'll be sure to make an audio clip before and after I drop this bad boy in Ruby!

• It stops the flex of the master cylinder and makes them feel a bit more stiff. It's a pricey bit of aluminum for sure, but totally worth it to help the brakes.

I'm also replacing the ceramic pads with the blackhawk 5.0 and some new rotors.

• It stops the flex of the master cylinder and makes them feel a bit more stiff. It's a pricey bit of aluminum for sure, but totally worth it to help the brakes.

I'm also replacing the ceramic pads with the blackhawk 5.0 and some new rotors.

I am still running the stock rotors with the 5.0's, a lot of miles on them

• I am still running the stock rotors with the 5.0's, a lot of miles on them

Dave at DDM has said that the stock rotors are good, not sure where I saw him say that, but pretty sure he did. I just want that little extra boost of braking, so going with slotted rotors, plus they look damned cool.

Will post pics as soon as I have them on the SS.

• Dave at DDM has said that the stock rotors are good, not sure where I saw him say that, but pretty sure he did. I just want that little extra boost of braking, so going with slotted rotors, plus they look damned cool.

Hot Rod Magazine did a write up on the drilled and the slotted rotors a couple of years ago and from what I remember there was no real benefit except the looks. Larger rotors were a yes, drilled and slotted was a no

• alright, I finally got my brackets in the mail, and have the rear wing in the garage so going to be getting this ready to install. I am installing the brackets on the rear deck and not on the roll hoops. This should be fun. . . . . . .

From what I’ve seen it’s just plastic unless you’re attaching to the frame.

You might need a reinforcement plate long enough to bolt both brackets to.

Under the plastic deck...

• Got my windscreen this afternoon that @Irobbi is making to fit the Slingshade. Came well packaged and great instructions, as usual. Install was easy and I really like the looks of it with the Slingshade. The Black color blends in well and it looks like it part of the Slingshade. Thanks @Irobbi, it was just what I was looking for. I will be taking it out tomorrow and will report back on how it works with the air circulation and noise reduction.

• Whats the skinny on this? Does it really help the breaks or just stop the unit from flexing??

I have one of the DDMWorks ones also. I installed it (takes 10 minutes if that) and noticed a difference right away. It's a bit of change, but worth it. I could make one, but time plus materials, plus finish and ease of install.... it's well worth it.

Dave at DDM has said that the stock rotors are good, not sure where I saw him say that, but pretty sure he did. I just want that little extra boost of braking, so going with slotted rotors, plus they look damned cool.

I don't care what they look like on your SS... (ok, I'll still look and appreciate the pics!) but feedback on the performance is what I crave! I'm looking at these also!

• I didn't go with Dave's rotors, can't, due to me having 17" wheels all the way around. His big brake kit wants bigger wheels. I sourced some EBC rotors made for the SS off of Amazon. Soon as I get them on, I'll have a build post about them with pics.