New Product Teaser Rear Big Brake Kit

• New Product Teaser for the Polaris Slingshot.

This Rear Big Brake Kit uses the same 14 inch Wilwood rotor and 6 piston Wilwood caliper as our current Front Big Brake Kit with the addition of a separate emergency brake caliper, also from Wilwood.

More details on the price and availability of this kit coming soon.

[/b]

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• New Product Teaser for the Polaris Slingshot.

This Rear Big Brake Kit uses the same 14 inch Wilwood rotor and 6 piston Wilwood caliper as our current Front Big Brake Kit with the addition of a separate emergency brake caliper, also from Wilwood.

More details on the price and availability of this kit coming soon.

Jeff, no question that's a pretty cool set-up, looks good and all, but I have a more pressing question for you: what can you tell me about that wrap/paint job in the background?

• That looks PHAT...Awesome - Ridicules - and I should add Ludacrisly goooooood!! Yep I think I made up a few new adjectives....or adjectivities :thumbup: ....

That's HOT...!!! Credit card just burnt hole in wallet 8o

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I have seen a lot of Slingshots. But the one in the picture is a true work of art...... every piece of hood plastic is filled and sanded with a mirror black finish. Even the glove box and side plastics are mirror black and smooth... And his engine bay make mine look like a 1965 Cub Cadet tractor that has been left in a field to rust...

• Even the swing arm is done...darn he may have to get that redone on the recall...but I am sure it will be worth it. One good looking SS DDMWorks is doing!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• Enough with the tease...bark out a price, and that beast is mine!!!!! Just kidding!!!!! Are you looking at doing custom paint on the caliper? Sexy looking Sling, by the way.

• Enough with the tease...bark out a price, and that beast is mine!!!!! Just kidding!!!!! Are you looking at doing custom paint on the caliper? Sexy looking Sling, by the way.

Yes @V-SHOT good idea. ... @Jeff@DDMWorks I could possible do white powdered coated AND black DDMWORKS LETTERING. HEHEHEEEE :thumbsup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• I don't know anything about what @WraithSS just said, but in some way, eager to know the answer... 8|

Hahahaha.....you kill me. I almost spit tea out of my mouth.

So, there are a few companies that make mechanical parking brake calipers. Mechanical meaning it works off of a lever and cable, not fluid. There are PB calipers that cover more of the rotor which does two things, function: larger contact patch of the pad means better holding power, form: looks better up against the other brake caliper as they both reach down to the rotors hat. Helps with my OCD :thumbsup:

The specs for the Wilwood MC4 PB caliper that I believe is what they are showing in their picture is maxed out on a 12.88" rotor diameter. So, if they are using it on a 14" rotor it is out of spec slightly. With this vehicle being held by only one PB I want as much grip as possible.

I have some serious interest in this kit and am anxiously awaiting what the answer is. :D

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Would it be possible to get a parking brake caliper that has more contact patch? Similar to attached picture?

I think the MC4 in your picture is maxed out on a 12.88" rotor.

That is a good question. Right now we have no plans to go with another parking brake caliper though.

We originally designed the rear parking brake setup to use an internal drum setup, but after hearing about a couple issues with that setup on the other rear kit, we went back to an individual caliper for the parking brake. We have used several of the Wilwood parking brake calipers on custom setups before including mechanical spot calipers like in your picture and the MC4 and have always preferred the MC4 over the mechanical spot calipers for a couple reasons. The MC4 is basically a floating setup that is very easy to adjust by the end user and setup properly, also the attachment point for the cable is more secure than the mechanical spot calipers we have used. The MC4 is also a lot simpler in operation than the internal drum and easier to install. Wilwood does list the MC4 as maxing out at 12.88" and we are using it on a 14" rotor, however we do have it mounted so that there is plenty of clearance from the caliper to the rotor and also the pad is in complete contact with the rotor and does not hang off of the rotor at all. Typically the reason you limit a caliper to a certain size rotor is for those reasons. Also, since the center of force of the pad is further out on the rotor, there is a torque advantage when applied vs. the center of force closer to the center of the rotor. We have also used the MC4 on other custom setups with larger than 12.88" rotors before and they work fantastic. We will be doing more testing on the setup though before it is released and will make sure that it can lock up the rear while at speed, hold the Slingshot on steep hills, etc. If this parking brake setup does not perform atleast as good as stock, we will ditch it and probably just go back to the internal drum setup we already prototyped also.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• Great information Dave. Very happy to hear of all the testing being done with your system... this is something I have my EYEs on. Other systems I have heard about lost my attention between reliability, after the sale issues and price. Thanks

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,