V-SHOT'S TRAILER REVIEW

• Here is the long awaited review I promised on the trailer. First and foremost, this is an excellent trailer. The construction is spot on. It is built tough and sturdy. This particular trailer was built from scratch to the specs requested. The workable width is 81.5". The usable length is right at 14'. The Sling's span is right around 78". Overall length is under 13'. IF YOU HAVE AFTERMARKET WHEELS, this trailer is a VERY tight fit!!!!! Trust me on this one. The front wheels of any of the aftermarket wheels will eat up that clearance you once had with the stock wheels. And due to the 3" to 4" lip around the edge, you now only have about 1/2" clearance from the rim to the metal edge.
    That being said, let's talk about the setup of tie downs @av8ingtom and I chose to use. We went with the 3-point tie down for each tire.

For the rear tire, we thought we took the right measurement. But came up a little short on the two rear tie downs, and opted for a secure 2-point system. The extra blue strap was just used as an added safety feature. Coming back from Florida, I opted out of the extra strap. The 3-point performed flawlessly.

Now for the performance of the trailer...
    Loading and unloading is a breeze. I was able to do both by myself. With the stock wheels, there is a good amount of clearance on both sides. The elephant's feet on both sides act as a good visual reference while loading. The 7' ramps are perfect! On level ground, there is no risk/chance of bottoming out. I would suggest you use a spotter up front, so as not to bump the front rail. Just to be on the safe side, I will be installing a neoprene pad on the front rail.

Towing the trailer was a breeze! With the trailer coming in at about 1,700 lbs, and the Sling hovering around the same, a generous 3,500 lbs is a good total guess. I have a Chevy Silverado, which is the same as the GMC 1500 and the Ford F-150. At speeds of up to 85 mph, the trailer performed flawlessly. It tracked true and had no sway affect at all. The suspension is spot on. At times, I actually forgot I was hauling such a load.

Braking. I'll make this short and sweet. Do not set your electric brake controller higher than 3.5 or 4.0. I inadvertently set mine at 8.5, and didn't figure it out until we made our first stop at the Rest Area. Checking the hubs, (which you should do at every gas break or rest stop) I grabbed a handful of HOT-ASS metal. Basically, I had been hanging up the brakes by setting the controller too high. Basically, the trailer was the apparatus stopping the trailer AND the truck. Bonehead mistake on my part.

Maneuvering. In traffic, parking, tight gas stations, no problem! Interstate 95 from Virginia to Florida has little to no substantial inclines, so I don't really have an option on mountain/twistie-type maneuverability. But as far as the tie down style we chose, I'm more than confident the Sling is safe! We will be taking the Sling and trailer to SSITS-2017. I'll find out about the twisties then.

• I have the info for those interested. A simple PM to me and I will put you in contact with the Dealer. I don't want to sound callous, but, I assume not responsibility for your decision. I just thought this was a good deal and wanted to share MY experiences with the group. If you choose to go into this deal, you do so on your own. This is not an endorsement of any sort. Contact the dealer, ask all the questions that you want answered, then make your decision. If you have any doubts, don't move forward.
    The Dealer is located in Virginia Beach, VA.

• I have the info for those interested. A simple PM to me and I will put you in contact with the Dealer. I don't want to sound callous, but, I assume not responsibility for your decision. I just thought this was a good deal and wanted to share MY experiences with the group. If you choose to go into this deal, you do so on your own. This is not an endorsement of any sort. Contact the dealer, ask all the questions that you want answered, then make your decision. If you have any doubts, don't move forward.
    The Dealer is located in Virginia Beach, VA.

Concur, but you might want to at least mention price point so people can decide whether it's worth consideration. I would, but I don't remember. I do remember it was a good price. We were *this close* to picking one up just like yours, we just don't have anywhere to keep it when we move in a few months.

• Concur, but you might want to at least mention price point so people can decide whether it's worth consideration. I would, but I don't remember. I do remember it was a good price. We were *this close* to picking one up just like yours, we just don't have anywhere to keep it when we move in a few months.

Gotta' get the exact number...but I think the final total was $2659.00

• Very good review. I still have not got my trailer. They are ordering a complete new axle. Glad to hear it worked so good for you. Hopefully mine will be ready for SSITS. Glad the tie down points worked good.

• Very good review. I still have not got my trailer. They are ordering a complete new axle. Glad to hear it worked so good for you. Hopefully mine will be ready for SSITS. Glad the tie down points worked good.

I still want to talk to Kevin in regards to the axle issue as well. Just want to make sure my electric brake system is on the up and up. No glitches...other than my own stupidity...so far.

• @V-SHOT

So, couple of questions for you...

a) What if you were to add a 2x6 on the left and right hand sides of the trailer, would that eliminate the possibility of scratching the tires from the rails? (I know they would have to bolted down, your tie-downs re-done on the left and right, and possibly have to add a 2x6 block for the rear to keep it level).

b) You said there are 7' ramps? Three of them?

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• @V-SHOT
    Nice trailer. Word of advice. I wouldn't put any strap across the wheel like that blue one you're showing. If the sling gets to rocking or even just the shaking in small vibrations will start wearing I to your finish and screw up your wheel. :thumbsup:

• Hey @DocG!! Long time, no see. The only problem with the 2X6, it wouldn't fit between the wheel and the side rail. With aftermarket wheels, I have less than 1/2" clearance. Stock wheels have no problem. Noel supplied me with a self-adhesive rubber mat to adhere to the lower rail to protect the rims.

And yes, three (3) 7' ramps. They are a little on the heavy side. Wish they were aluminum.

• @V-SHOT
    Nice trailer. Word of advice. I wouldn't put any strap across the wheel like that blue one you're showing. If the sling gets to rocking or even just the shaking in small vibrations will start wearing I to your finish and screw up your wheel. :thumbsup:

Agree. If you feel compelled to use a strap in that manner, a cloth backer (folded towel) would be advised.

• @V-SHOT

My thoughts with the 2x6 was that the wheels drive on top of them, thus clearing (sitting above) the rail?

And I've been following all you Tidewater Slingers, it's just been wood cutting time for me here.

• Hey @V-SHOT wrap that back wheel with a soft fluffy bath towel. Then put the strap thru the wheel...

Preferably a really nice bath towel that will get you in trouble if the wife sees you with it... Those are the best for trailering..... :D

And by the way.... I like your new trailer a lot. You will to.... Nothing like having a car to haul that extra stuff that you buy while out in your slingshot..

• @V-SHOT

My thoughts with the 2x6 was that the wheels drive on top of them, thus clearing (sitting above) the rail?

And I've been following all you Tidewater Slingers, it's just been wood cutting time for me here.

Damn good idea!!! The 2X6's would be attached to the floor of the trailer, thereby raising the rim away from the mean and nasty metal edge. I like it!!!

• @V-SHOT

I use an axel strap covered with 2 seat belt pads - works great

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• :00008356: My wife would surely choke me with the same fluffy bath towel!!! Having that extra storage space by hauling the Sling with the truck was a key concern. With so much extra storage, we were tempted to ask the folks at the Hotel if we could purchase these chairs we saw in their Lobby. Hmmmm!?!?! :00008172:

• That was my thought @V-SHOT - Elevate the wheels above the rail.

Now to add to that - maybe possibly use two 2x6's and then use a router to make a groove the width (plus more) of the tires to help guide it in when you drive it up. Plus you add chocks in the front to make a stop for the front.