Not a Sunday Funday!

• Seems I managed to blow my motor on the way to work this morning. Running at 65, opened it up and a couple of seconds later there was a strange noise for a split second, a puff of blue smoke and then my legs were covered in oil. I was running 8 psi of boost on a Hahn stage 2 setup and ARP head studs. I didn't get the huge power increase some have spoke of before it let go so I don't think it was the fault of the turbo. I can't see anything wrong from the top end so it has to be under it, maybe through the oil pan? Looks like I'll be getting that DDM motor sooner than I planned.

• Seems I managed to blow my motor on the way to work this morning. Running at 65, opened it up and a couple of seconds later there was a strange noise for a split second, a puff of blue smoke and then my legs were covered in oil. I was running 8 psi of boost on a Hahn stage 2 setup and ARP head studs. I didn't get the huge power increase some have spoke of before it let go so I don't think it was the fault of the turbo. I can't see anything wrong from the top end so it has to be under it, maybe through the oil pan? Looks like I'll be getting that DDM motor sooner than I planned.

Most importantly you are ok!

• Thats a bummer..

What gear were you in when you smashed the throttle? These motors don't seem to like boost down low in the RPM range.

Do you have any way of knowing what your AFR and boost was before it blew?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I am curious about the details when you have time to gather your thoughts. Sorry to hear about your engine.

It doesn't take but a split second and all the fun just drains right out of it. :(

It is strange how one stock engine can take more or less abuse than another. My little stock engine could take 10psi all day.... I never heard any ping or knocking at all...

One thing that you may not have thought about..... The last time you filled up with gas you could have recieved low octane gas (station mistake or human error).... Lets say you were in 4th at 75mph and you rolled into the gas hard...your engine wouldn't last but a second or two if you accidentally has 87 octane in the tank. If you have a loud exhaust you may not even hear the detonation. And BANG. It will paint the highway with oil and antifreeze....

• Thats a bummer..

What gear were you in when you smashed the throttle? These motors don't seem to like boost down low in the RPM range.

Do you have any way of knowing what your AFR and boost was before it blew?

5th gear and no AFR read8ngs. The gauge is in the garage. I didn't know enough to order the second bung when I got the turbo system and I've been waiting on a friend to weld one in for me.

• Just filled up 20 miles before with Shell 90 octane rec fuel. Only my second time using it. Hope that wasn't it. A lot of Mobil 1 in the footwear, underside, and rear wheel. Guess at least I was lucky enough to be going in a straight line.

• Sorry. For us non-educated "souped up" users, I've read about other engines being blown with turbos, so what are the causes (if you can explain to us dummies).

And sorry it has happened to you, I feel for ya.

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• Good news on the free tow. I'm sure you'll be pumped to get a built motor!

A couple things I firmly believe in if you are going to run a turbo...

Get and install a good AFR and Boost gauge; even better if you can log info.

Dont build a bunch of boost in 4th or 5th gear at lower RPMs. These engines don't seem to like this "lugging". Downshift if you want the power. Keep the RPMs above 3400rpm when driving hard to stay on open loop tuning.

Check your spark plugs once in awhile. They can tell you a lot about how your machine is running. I personally think heat range 5 plugs are too hot (not sure if anyone with Hahn kits run these) if you're running boost. Go with a 6 or 7 heat range.

Just my observations over the couple of years. I'm sure the experts can chime in with more clarity.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D