Any Bow guys?

• So, been thinking of getting a Bow for my son & 1 for myself. Figured it would be a father son past time to shoot? Pretty pricey hobby though initially. Can set up some fake deer targets in yard and there's a range about 45 min away we can shoot @ for hrs reasonably cheap. So how many guys are Bow guys? anything bow you would recommend that decent for beginners? I was gunna look @ a Hoyt for myself and buddy told me about a BOW for my son that's suppose to be real nice for $400?

Buddy and his son shoot and he says it's a good time......

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

Edited once, last by BONES ().

• So, been thinking of getting a Bow for my son & 1 for myself. Figured it would be a father son past time to shoot? Pretty pricey hobby though initially. Can set up some fake deer targets in yard and there's a range about 45 min away we can shoot @ for hrs reasonably cheap. So how many guys are Bow guys? anything bow you would recommend that decent for beginners? I was gunna look @ a Hoyt for myself and buddy told me about a boy for my son that's suppose to be real nice for $400?

Buddy and his son shoot and he says it's a good time......

Teach him the safety lessons for shooting a gun. Then teach him proper control and shooting of the long gun and the hand gun.

• Teach him the safety lessons for shooting a gun. Then teach him proper control and shooting of the long gun and the hand gun.

He knows safety..Pretty good with a BB gun. Still young for a real gun, a bow would be good for him

• Have you checked out an airbow? About $800, so it aint cheap!

????? Man learn something new every day...Never heard of that. The bow I was looking @ is said to be a great first bow

• For your son, The Mission Craze 2 would be a great bow. draw weight can be adjusted from 13-70lbs, and a huge draw length adjustment option. Mission is a division of Matthews, so the quality is great. It's what my wife and son both shoot. Great bow he can grow with. Just stay away from Parker and Diamond. their quality is much lower for the same price point.
    As far as for you, you can't go wrong with a Hoytt or a Matthews. I've owned several of both brands. I have a Matthews Chill right now and love it. To me, PSE bows are too heavy overall for a long shooting session.
    For arrows, I love Carbon Express. Just stay away from the arrows they sell at Walmart. they are a lower grade.
    Get a simple trigger release, Scott makes affordable ones that are good quality. I still use mine. I like a double jaw release, but a single works fine too.
    A Whisker Bisket is best to start with for an arrow holder. I use a fall away, but while learning, a biscuit is much easier.
    As far as targets, I would start with a bag target. 3D targets are nice, but expensive and the inserts wear quickly.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY, be sure to emphasize NOT to dry fire any bow. (Firing without an arrow nocked) It can destroy a bow in an instant. Modern bows are more resilient to it, but it's best not to take the chance.

These are just my suggestions, do your research.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.
    I've been shooting since I was 8. It's a fun sport. Hope you have fun!

• @Joker256 thanks buddy good info! That actually sounds like the specs of the bow my buddy was talking about. I was told a lot of people think you need a lot of draw (lbs) when I was told 50lbs is a good setting? HOYT I hear is a real good feeling bow in the hand and Mathews are without doubt great bows to, they must be cause there pricey :D . I may even consider a used MINT bow for myself? I was told same info with arrows. I was told shorter, skinny arrows for son. I'm gunna go to a place that's just straight up bows. Said to be real good to deal with, friendly and knowledgable. Thanks again for info... :thumbsup:

• Good archery equipment is outrageous these days. You two ever going to hunt with them?
    I've been hunting with compound bows for 30 years. Nothing like a silent kill. Pretty much any good archery shop will let you try out different bows and steer you in the right directions. My last compound bow was a Hoyt Katera. Think I bought that one in 08. Tomorrow I pick up my new Prime Rize. It has a double parallel cam set up. A friend got one last year and swore it was so much better than his Hoyt carbon fiber. After drawing it and shooting it I had to agree. Probably the last new bow I will purchase since I'm 50 now. Not hard to drop $1400 on a setup. Good luck. Pretty easy to hit bulls eyes just after shooting a few arrows with today's sights using a peep and mechanical release.

• @FunCycle we can't get guns like that here... Banned! 10 rnd clips is capacity in any gun here. :thumbdown: It's expensive to shoot rounds. I remember going to Cabelas years ago buy Remington ammo box of 50 buy 1 get 1 free. Now there double in price for a box of 50. Then range time is $35-$50 depending on time. Not worth it anymore. Arrows would be cheaper. A 22 maybe in a few years maybe?? Probably get arrested if my son ever repeated I let him shoot a gun. :cursing:?(

• @FunCycle we can't get guns like that here... Banned! 10 rnd clips is capacity in any gun here. :thumbdown: It's expensive to shoot rounds. I remember going to Cabelas years ago buy Remington ammo box of 50 buy 1 get 1 free. Now there double in price for a box of 50. Then range time is $35-$50 depending on time. Not worth it anymore. Arrows would be cheaper. A 22 maybe in a few years maybe?? Probably get arrested if my son ever repeated I let him shoot a gun. :cursing:?(

I don't know how you do it, man. CT is on my list of 10 "will never live there" states for just that reason.

• Damn, I guess my 100rd drum on my AR would just cause them to have an instant aneurysm, LOLAnd to just finish them off i would pull out my 40rd mag for the AK and the 33rd for the glock, :00008172::00008356:

Back yard range here, I do not do any indoor shooting. 75 round drum for the AK is only good for bench shooting, otherwise it is just to heavy for an old man to hold up. I have several 22's that have well over 100,000 rounds thru them. Hell we put over 100,000 rounds thru the S&W AR15-22 in less than 6 months and that was when it first came out, no telling how many rounds total since then.

• I used to shoot with a bow for years Jay, Very fun but I don't think it is a cheap hobby by any means
    I would start with good equipment a nice compound bow with a 45lb pull for your Son and a 55 to 65lbs for you
    if you a going to shoot targets indoor you might want to look into a Scope and weight stabilizers and a hand release
    I haven't shot for over 20 years but it was a good time with my father when I did.
    I been out of it so long I couldn't tell you what Bows are good now but in my day it was Bear ,Jennings and PSE
    I had a Jennings Arrow-Star 4 wheel compound I used for competition shooting it was the best back then, I have no clue what is good today.

• I don't know how you do it, man. CT is on my list of 10 "will never live there" states for just that reason.

Trust me everyday I think of putting a little dab of gas in corner of house, lighting and walking away..Get insurance money and leaving for good! :whistling:

Move to Va and join this Wrecking Crew gang I hear about....

Edited once, last by BONES ().

• Trust me everyday I think of putting a little dab of gas in corner of house, lighting and walking away..Get insurance money and leaving for good! :whistling:
    Move to Va and join this Wrecking Crew gang I hear about....

That, or if you want to stay a Yankee, just up the road is a little bastion of freedom in VT/NH/ME.

• That, or if you want to stay a Yankee, just up the road is a little bastion of freedom in VT/NH/ME.

Come to Ohio @BONES!!! We can start our own "Mini Swarm"!!!!!!! :00007555::00000008::00007991:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @Joker256 thanks buddy good info! That actually sounds like the specs of the bow my buddy was talking about. I was told a lot of people think you need a lot of draw (lbs) when I was told 50lbs is a good setting? HOYT I hear is a real good feeling bow in the hand and Mathews are without doubt great bows to, they must be cause there pricey :D . I may even consider a used MINT bow for myself? I was told same info with arrows. I was told shorter, skinny arrows for son. I'm gunna go to a place that's just straight up bows. Said to be real good to deal with, friendly and knowledgable. Thanks again for info... :thumbsup:

Unless you are hunting, the draw weight really doesn't matter. Each state has it's limits for hunting. (for example, in Georgia, draw has to be at least 50lbs to hunt. If you go to a good archery store, they should have a draw tool that can let you feel different draw weights. Get the weigh as high as you feel comfortable holding. For example, I have an 85lb draw on one bow because it has an 85% letoff (holding weight) My other bow is a 70lb draw, but the letoff is only 60%.
    As far as arrows, get them sized for each of you. The store will measure you and cut the arrows to the size you need. Get a good quality. but no need to get anything super expensive when you are starting off.
    If you are looking at a used bow, be sure that you can take it and get it checked for bent cams, limbs, etc. Unless it's put in a jig to check, it's really hard to spot an issue.

This is the bow I was talking about for your son. Lots of color options too.
    Craze® II - Mission Archery

I was just at our local shop and asked my guy about a good bow for you and he suggested the Martin Lithium. MSRP is $799
    Very good quality for the price. He said it has won several top pick awards this year for cost/quality.
    Lithium | Performance | Compound | Martin Archery