Heated Riding Gear

• My pants have a removable liner that is heated so I can wear the pants with or with out. Right now I just have my underwear on with them.

This stuff is so hot unplugged, I work up a sweat getting into it. I dressed outside so I wouldn’t over heat.

I need to do a little wire management to keep the different wire ends for getting lost or snagged. And easy to find to plug in. Probably some Velcro additions.

I bought a light weight heated jacket liner and a big leather coat to use with it. But right now I have it under a lighter jacket. Wanted give myself some clothing options based on the weather. It could actually be worn as a windbreaker.

• Went to Tractor Supply today & picked up these Schmidt insulated bib overalls. Was looking at Carhartt & Refrigerwear coveralls, also tried on Carhartt overalls, but these fit better and seemed plenty warm enough.

They certainly are easier to get in & out of than coveralls, and I have perfectly good winter jackets... it rarely gets more than 10 below here anyway, so I should be fine in these. Not expecting lows below 40 for the next two weeks, well see how they go!

• Had my first chance to try out quilted bib overalls this morning - 41 degrees and damp (100% humidity and light fog) Rode for almost an hour at speeds up to 60 mph. Overalls did great! Thin balaclava under the helmet also helped keep drafts off my neck!

• Almost no wind penetration through the zippers or up the pants cuff
    • No interference with shifting / braking - I did button up the pant cuffs using the attached snaps
    • A bit different getting in/out of the slingshot. Wider across the hips with these on, a tiny bit stiff, but I'm sure the fabric will loosen up.
    • Wore a fall-weight jacket on top, business shirt & tie. Walked into class, took jacket off, showing off the overalls with the tie out - students thought it was great! LoL!

I think I'm going to be good down to 20 degrees or so!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I know with my extra gear on my range of motion is reduced...I feel like a robot...I can’t turn my head as much ...my arm and upper body movement is lessened ...as well as my legs getting in and out.

So the choices are freeze or be able to move about.

• Had my first chance to try out quilted bib overalls this morning - 41 degrees and damp (100% humidity and light fog) Rode for almost an hour at speeds up to 60 mph. Overalls did great! Thin balaclava under the helmet also helped keep drafts off my neck!

• Almost no wind penetration through the zippers or up the pants cuff
    • No interference with shifting / braking - I did button up the pant cuffs using the attached snaps
    • A bit different getting in/out of the slingshot. Wider across the hips with these on, a tiny bit stiff, but I'm sure the fabric will loosen up.
    • Wore a fall-weight jacket on top, business shirt & tie. Walked into class, took jacket off, showing off the overalls with the tie out - students thought it was great! LoL!

I think I'm going to be good down to 20 degrees or so!

I want the bib's in the light weight material, not the heavy denium. I stopped by Cycle Gear a few minutes ago while in Charleston. They only had one pair of the Hotwired Heated pants in small. No other brands either. The Hotwired stuff is sized so small I do not want to order on the web site. Had to get the large in the vest just to fit me.

• I didn't get anything fancy - I went to the local Tractor Supply Co. They had Carhartt Yukon insulated winter wear - but I couldn't find the right size. They also had a brand called Schmidt which cost about 1/3 less and fit better. Not made as well, not good with the pockets like Carhartt, but at $69, I couldn't pass 'em up.

• I didn't get anything fancy - I went to the local Tractor Supply Co. They had Carhartt Yukon insulated winter wear - but I couldn't find the right size. They also had a brand called Schmidt which cost about 1/3 less and fit better. Not made as well, not good with the pockets like Carhartt, but at $69, I couldn't pass 'em up.

Yes, I looked at the Schmidt also just because it was lighter in weight, but they did not have a big selection in sizes. None to fit me in my short petite Medium

• Yes, I looked at the Schmidt also just because it was lighter in weight, but they did not have a big selection in sizes. None to fit me in my short petite Medium

Carhartt does offer specific short sizes. I think you can call their customer service, give them your measurements and they will help you pick the correct size. Amazon has a pretty good selection if your local store does not.

• I have be meaning to tell everyone about this one. If you want some extra heat inside your Slingshot during the cold weather just pull your cup holders out and it is like you just opened up a heater vent. I know it works up to 75 mph at least. With a little bit of engineering it could be blowing on you or inside of your clothes.

• Went for a nice brisk ride yesterday, started out at 42 Degrees and ended at around 40-50. I wear Gerbing Heated Gloves and Jacket and have them wired separately to my Neutron Fuse Box. They worked great and during the winter months am very happy for Polaris's lousy firewall thickness because my feet and legs were kept nice and warm.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• If you have a Cycle Gear store near you go in and look at their Seduci heated riding gear. Their liners use the carbon heating gear that is very effective and it is guaranteed for the life of the product. They will do a one for one swap in the store if there is a problem. It generally cost less than the name brands.

The Hot Wire Gear is carbon also, which is what I bought at the local Cycle Gear. Also the reason I just went to the Home Depot was to figure out which PVC street elbow came closer to fitting the cup holder holes. I am thinking the 3 inch will work with just a little cutting down. (Heat to the Cockpit) of course they did not have them.