If you ever wondered where the worst place to mount an electric water pump might be.

• i found it.... freaking had to pull the front end off the wife's X6 to replace a $500 eletric water pump.... for the love of all that is good.

Side note the Magnesium bolts used to hold the pump on were freaky light but freaky strong.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• You must like pain owning more than one BMW product ;)

PS - The electric power steering pump on our R53 just caught fire the other day, not sure if you know about the extended warranty on the R53's for it, but BMW extended the warranty to 150K miles and 13 years, just FYI incase you have an issue with yours.

• @Dave@DDMWorks did the full inspection and cleaning of the area for the PS pump when I did the head.
    It was replaced at about 80k....
    With the miles I'm out of luck if it does go up.... 180k now.

Love the BMW's and don't mind working on the stuff but Damn that's a craptastic spot for it. All other models require a lot less work to get it out. The X6 must be special.. :whistling:

Worst part was paying $50 for NDA from Turner Motorsports only to find that the BMW group box the pump was in had a freaking damaged pump in it. The Turner box was great with all kinds of nice packing. They just didn't inspect the product before they packed it. They did send out a replacement at no charge today NDA so could have been worse.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Man RD, you have surely been fine tuning your mechanic skills. Best of luck on your new venture.

would enjoy it so much more if I didn't have a problem paying someone $1200 to do the work for me....

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Before I got in the beer business, I worked for BMW. I was a regional service rep.
    They are great vehicles, but yes, Definitely expensive to repair.
    If you tell me what year and model you have, I can tell you what common preventative things to check to help keep future costs down.
    I tell everyone now, lease, or sell it before the Warranty is up.
    Fyi, if you have a BMW that is still in factory Warranty, you can go to your dealer, (not all will do this) and, basically, sell it to them, and but it back as a CPO car. They will charge you for the inspection and Warranty cost. ( when I left it was $1200).
    With checking into.

• its a 2010 X6 i35.... payed off so surprise repairs are a surprise but manageable. Being able to do tne repairs help. The big one that get the X5 and X6 owners is the transfer case... don't do the maintenance and change that 1quart of special $60 oil and you out of pocket in the 5k range.

(Slingshot Owners Group)