Slingshots in the Rockies 2016.Vail CO Sept1st-5th

• I think so. There are a lot of weekend rides being posted on Meetup in general. I know GForce has offered to do a SSiTR Sendoff for us, but Grand Prix may be closer for some people...just don;t know yet. I did just email GForce and ask them if they would be able to sponsor a breakfast or something for us on Thursday. I will post here what I get back, and if we all agree on a spot we can post it on Meetup and Mr. Br4 can post it on the FB page. :)

• :) WAHOO, just finished getting all reservations finalized last night !!! :00008040:
    Gonna be just over 50 hours driving, 5200 kilometers (not including fun SS seat time) over 14 days :00007555:
    Getta meet up with the SS Across America gang in Montrose and then see ya'all :00008674: in the Rockies event.
    Can't wait for the fun :00000441:
    Now if I could just get that Canadian dollar exchange rate to cooperate :00008356:

• Hola...

If any locals have an alternative ride idea for Mt Evans road I would appreciate suggestions. It's the ride I want to do, but on Sept 1st there very well could be a foot or so of snow up there...need an backup plan.

• If anyone is interested in some stock parts,
    Stock seats black with grey stripes, I used the frame for my new PRP seats.
    Stock plastic hood vent,
    Stock dual winshields (not 100% sure on selling these yet)
    More than likely a stock steering wheel as I hope to buy one there.
    All from a 2015 SLLE, all in very good condition. I'm not sure what any of this stuff is worth but I will be open to reasonable offers
    Let me know and I can haul'em down on my trip to the Rockies.

• Hola...

If any locals have an alternative ride idea for Mt Evans road I would appreciate suggestions. It's the ride I want to do, but on Sept 1st there very well could be a foot or so of snow up there...need an backup plan.

Very doubtful you will see snow on Evans 09/01. Could happen but unlikely. Cold yes. It's normally 20-30F colder at the summit than at I-70, and it's always windy up there.

Source: Me. Lived here my whole life.

Don't bring a squirt gun to a garden hose fight. :thumbup:

• Ahh!

Well then from one native to another I will tell you I agree with you. It is quite rare when you see snow up there that early!

Also, as a native...you know the rule when it comes to weather above 10k. Always have a backup plan :)

• Ahh!

Well then from one native to another I will tell you I agree with you. It is quite rare when you see snow up there that early!

Also, as a native...you know the rule when it comes to weather above 10k. Always have a backup plan :)

Amen brother.

Ghost, here is the deal:

I have seen (personally, standing there with my own eyes) full dress Harleys being blown on their side from wind at the summit.

Watch the frost heave on the road up the mountain. Depending on the year and road work it can become the equivalent of a roller coaster ride tamed down a bit. I have had people not used to the altitude get sick in my vehicle on that road. You can still see one of them on the side of the mountain - yellow vest. :-)

Have lunch in Idaho Springs and then hit the pass after and you will be fine. Bring a warm jacket.

And after you are done, you can brag that you and your SS and SO drove up the highest highway in the continental U.S.

You will note I did not say highest contiguous highway (Mt. Evans goes up/down the same way) - that honor belongs to Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park (which if you have a remote chance of doing, do it).

• I would encourage any and all going on this trip to do the Mt. Evans loop. I could try to explain the beauty but I am human and words fail me.

Just beware that you will notice decreased HP as you gain elevation but you will not hurt your vehicle or anything. Just take it easy and listen to your motor.

Trust me on this: The trip is worth the destination. ;-)

I would be happy to be there as a sag wagon if needed, but I don't think needed.

• You know the Mt Evans ride Blue. The other one I am leading is over the Mesa, with an exit a DeBuque for a very interesting stretch of road not common in Colorado. Then over the Mesa highway. We can stop for lunch in Cedaredge and then decide if we want to go back over the Mesa, or take the highway 50 loop through Payonia and back to Glenwood. If you haven't done that one, I am sure you would enjoy it.

• One month to go until SSITR.If you are still interested in attending go to website or app events page to register.
    Approx 50 Slingshots coming.Its going to be great.
    Fantastic roads,great vendors,group rides.

• I'm ready. We are going Thursday morning to Sunday. Gotta be home for the pool party on Monday. Have any of the CO folks set up a Denver meet point to ride up together?

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.