Sending Out Prayers to All Our SouthEast Coast Family & Friends

• I can see you know what I am talking about.

I am just about re-living 1979- listening to the updates now. Back then, I was "invincible". All the hardcore southerners were staying to "protect what was theirs". I figured I would do the same- gathered supplies, boarded up as much as possible- I had a 100+ year old home, added onto, where inside walls were original outside walls. Had I not been so busy watching for, and waving in vehicles (road totally blocked just past my property by multiple huge trees), and then making sure those folks were as comfy as possible- I would have lost my mind. Ancient sycamore trees with those damn balls behind my house- took out my siding & windows- Like machine guns going off, until they came crashing down on the house! We lost the garage, vehicles, and half the house- but we survived. Today-- I would run like hell, rather than go thru that again!

• I just don't think it is possible to make someone really understand unless they have experienced it!! I will still ride out a 1 or 2 but Cat 3 or above I'm on my way back to @Slunglow s house :)

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• In 1997 my house on the mighty Ohio River had 11' (feet not inches) of water in it. For a visual aid the first floor has 9' ceilings and the water was just below the electrical outlets on the 2nd floor. I am still finding mud every once in a while in places I didn't know was there. And yes I would gladly go through that flood again before I would want to be in the condo or house in Daytona with my freinds right now.
    On a positive note I can assure you the group staying in the oceanfront condo won't be going thirsty anytime soon. :00000436:
    May God watch over them.

• I read an article today that said people in high rise buildings are in more danger from flying debris than a 1 story dwelling. The article said that if you are on the 10th floor of a high rise that the winds are 1 category higher than normal. With this storm being a CAT4 and staying in a high rise 10 floors or higher would now make the winds a CAT5. I stayed in Charleston, South Carolina and rode out Hurricane Hugo. I learned a lesson that night. I Live in Virginia Beach, Virginia now and we really do not get that many Hurricanes, but if it is a CAT 3 or higher I am out of here. I have been there and done that and never again. If you still have time, get out of town.

• Pretty sure cell service will be down before daylight. I HATE being such a pessimist but in a storm like this everything that you believe to be impossible becomes possible very quickly.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have a guest room in Texas available if anyone wants to drive this far. You'll be safe here until the tornadoes come in the spring.

I know its a far drive, but wanted to offer. Stay safe!

Tom

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• I'm in Dallas with a huge hotel bed if anybody needs a place to crash. Only for tonite though as I'm leaving to go home tomorrow.

Did i mention i have beer?

Seriously though i hope all our brothers and sisters come through this safely.

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• For those of you that this is your first time going through a storm of this magnitude brace yourself for a LONG recovery time frame. If you have evacuated - great - however - have a plan when you return home because it will be much like living in the covered wagon days. I still remember how awful these were - never wanna eat these again

I have a case of those here.
    Ate way too many of those through the military years.
    Also have a 2 month supply of Wise Survival food.
    These things are tasty.

• I just don't think it is possible to make someone really understand unless they have experienced it!! I will still ride out a 1 or 2 but Cat 3 or above I'm on my way back to @Slunglow s house :)

Tropical Storm Allison did over $9 billion in damage, 23 deaths and destroyed medical research that can't even be tallied...you can never out guess Mother Nature!
    One thing folks don't know about is "storm surge" Hurricane Rita and Ike had huge storm surges.
    Galveston after Ike...

• I had the pleasure of riding out Katrina, moored pierside and on a 60% complete ship. We didn't even take the full impact, but the devastation around us was incredible. They used our ship to provide food and showers on a rotating basis for the shipyard workers because we were the only place within 100 miles with power. We were the staging location for the divers that went to find the bodies in the flooded waters in New Orleans. There are images and memories I will never forget from that experience.

For those of you staying, hold on to your ass, our thoughts and prayers are with you. For those who have left, we have a bed and a couple of couches if you need them.

For those of you who may need to find relief afterwards, we are here if you need us.