Sending Out Prayers to All Our SouthEast Coast Family & Friends

• We made it through. Wind wss horrible. Rain too. We're on 36 hours of no power, night be a few more days with what they're saying.
    That's the good news. The bad news is, my jeep is totaled. A massive oak tree crushed it like a tin can. No fixing that amount of damage.
    It was at outside my friends shop.
    I'll get pics when I can.
    My wife's business took major roof damage according to her boss. Won't know the extent until we are cleared to go into town.
    It was really bad here, but could have been much worse.

But, we're safe. That's the important part. Hope everyone else is the same.

• Sorry to hear about the Jeep. But in the larger picture, you did make it through what was starting to look like a massive CAT 4 storm with a direct hit to the area. Glad you're safe and insurances will make it right

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• After cleaning up a lot of yard debris and taking a few pictures, I thought I'd show you a bit of what damages have hit the local area. We suffered some roof damage, but the pictures really don't show the extent. But these should give you an idea of what 80 - 100 mph winds and rains can do to an area close to ground zero

The gas staion and Biggins are within 5 miles of the house - the two boats are within 2 miles of the house. Things could have been a LOT worse than we had.

• Having been there with past storms, loosing our roof, storage building, and lots of property damage then to have another pass directly over us again, then another skirt the area a short time later, I can assure you that if you are all safe that is all that matters ....everything else will be solved in time ...

After we had a hat trick season people where walking around like zombies ..PTSD was rampant ... so take care of your family and friends and good luck with a quick recovery...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Thanks guys. We definitely have it better that others closer to the water.
    Insurance will replace the materiel things. I could care less about that.
    There were 2 people killed locally by the storm. One was an Army Ranger who was killed by a tree falling on him. That's where the true losses are.
    Metal can be replaced. People can't.

• On a better note, HUGE kudos to Firehouse Subs.
    Our local Firehouse Subs employees came to work today (all voluntary ) to open just for Police, Fire Fighters and First Responders free of charge.
    These people sacrificed being with their families today so that the hard working public servants could have meals.
    So, if you have a Firehouse Subs near you, please give them your business. To me, they earned my future business today by taking care of those who take care of us.

• After cleaning up a lot of yard debris and taking a few pictures, I thought I'd show you a bit of what damages have hit the local area. We suffered some roof damage, but the pictures really don't show the extent. But these should give you an idea of what 80 - 100 mph winds and rains can do to an area close to ground zero

The gas staion and Biggins are within 5 miles of the house - the two boats are within 2 miles of the house. Things could have been a LOT worse than we had.

I guess the banana daiquiris are out until you regrow the banana trees. DAM YOU MATTHEW :(

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Just chiming in...our area of Florida, west of Gainesville and about 15 miles from The Gulf of Mexico, was only moderately affected by Matthew. Certainly nothing like what @funinthesun and others experienced on the coast!

A few downed trees, and as we live in a dense forest with massive 80-foot tall pines and oaks, that can be an adventure all its own! Since we have to be ever vigilant about such tree damage, we routinely and pre-emptively take the trees down that look unhealthy or have been hit by lightning, which may be threatening structures. That ongoing prophylactic effort was very comforting for our first hurricane here.

For those who may recall, this is actually our second hurricane in six weeks, as Category 1 Hermine struck us from the west in late August. Of course, we had to watch that one unfold from a distance, as we'd traveled to Vail, Colorado for the Slingshots in the Rockies event. That was tough, a couple of sleepless nights for sure, but our family, friends and employees did a great job of assuaging our fears and taking care of the business and home. God bless them.

Neither storm was particularly bad for us, although our son and daughter-in-law weathered some madness in Jacksonville with Matthew. Like most businesses, we were closed on Friday. Thanks to all who sent well wishes and caring. Now that my hurricane cherry has been broken, I am ready for the next one! We had over 100 gallons of gasoline and two sizable generators on hand, so we felt ready this time. Glad we'll be back in business Monday AM!

Osiris stands watch. Hillbilly board-up is to protect a window pane he broke. Ol' boy don't know his own strength, still thinks he's a little puppy even though he's now a one-year old, 80-pound knot of solid muscle!

The damage is manageable. A few felled trees, and a felled surfboard.

• I live 25 miles inland. Lots of trees down. Had some shingles fly off the roof and had some water damage to the wood floors. ;(

Guess it could have been worse....a building in orlando flipped over!

Dude! I almost fell for that!!!

• If it did, wouldn't it right side up now? Damn, one in Panama City did the same thing and the storm never hit there. Here's a couple more pics of the local area when I went out this morning looking for fresh veggies for dinner. Sorry for the blurry pics on some of them as I had to take them while driving by to not cause any traffic issues