Sending Out Prayers to All Our SouthEast Coast Family & Friends

• Galveston after Ike...

I had the pleasure of riding out Katrina, moored pierside and on a 60% complete ship. We didn't even take the full impact, but the devastation around us was incredible. They used our ship to provide food and showers on a rotating basis for the shipyard workers because we were the only place within 100 miles with power. We were the staging location for the divers that went to find the bodies in the flooded waters in New Orleans. There are images and memories I will never forget from that experience.

I was down in Pascagoula also, for separate reasons, a couple weeks after Katrina. I took the time to drive my truck through Biloxi and Gulfport. Looked a lot like the picture above. Saw some heartwrenching stuff.

I know how people are wired to stay in the face of the storm. I'm the same way. Just be aware you have limits, and sometimes you don't have a say in where that limit is or how hard it gets pushed.

• I have to say the worst thing after Rita was the HEAT, the mosquitos, everywhere there was high ground that we were on cottonmouths & alligators tryin to get away from the salt water. The hurricane is just AWFUL but the couple weeks following are just miserable if you stay and ride it out. Rita made me realize I was not near as tough as I thought I was - real reality check for me.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Pretty calm in Palatka right now.
    Only had 3 inches of rain today and gusts of only 12 mph.
    Will have to see what kind of excitement we can drum up tomorrow when it gets closer.
    I hope those on the coast got the hell out.
    If you didn't. stay safe, and if you can make it to Palatka, I will have a hot cup of coffee for you when you get here.

• I have to say the worst thing after Rita was the HEAT, the mosquitos, everywhere there was high ground that we were on cottonmouths & alligators tryin to get away from the salt water. The hurricane is just AWFUL but the couple weeks following are just miserable if you stay and ride it out. Rita made me realize I was not near as tough as I thought I was - real reality check for me.

Rita was a beast! She reached pretty far inland with her storm surge...Ike's took out entire areas that were 40 miles inland...I had to go to Boston for conference a week after Ike and the picture "fish in a fence" was sent to me
    This was in the Orange-Bridge City area. People went back to their homes to find them full of all kinds of salt water creatures...

• All of my group are safe... without power but safe. They say they will be opening the bridges in Daytona area at 8:00am. We are going to give the local evacuees time to get back home and hopefully off the highway. If we leave sunday morning maybe we won't be stuck in traffic too long. :thumbsup:

• I may be away from the forum for a couple of days so if anyone in the Daytona area needs some hard to find in that area items there are a handful of members that know how to get in touch with me...
    @Bill Martin
    @Tripod
    @DKF Texas
    @Slingrazor
    @kyslingshot
    @KYJoe57
    and a few others I've missed but anyway if you guys need anything have one of the above members call me on my cell.
    I'm planning on heading south on Sunday morning. Have fun and be safe. :thumbsup::thumbup:

• We all got REALLY lucky with this one folks so just wanted to check in .....

Power just came back on ..quickest restoration ever, way to go guys....lost it around 8pm yesterday....... have standby power though ...

Recorded 85 mph gusts here ...being hit by three in a row with two eyes passing directly over the property 10 years ago was much worse for us .... no structural damage at the compound this time but my neighbors who joke about me being a "prepper" have been knocking on the door looking for help, advise, and stuff for the past three days ... lost most of the Ice Cream Banana crop for the year :(

Gotta go ..lots of others need help and where not nearly as lucky (or prepared), my oldest daughter had a huge Australian pine just miss the house but fell on the power line ripping the stanchion through the roof and the meter box off the wall ... glad they where here... just finished unbolting the genny, set it on a trailer, loaded up the tools and heading out ...

Its been a busy few days but now its time to get to work .....Hope everyone fared as well ...........

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Getting hit hard here right now and it is supposed to continue until tomorrow. It decided to move inland slightly. Now the eye is going to pass within 40 miles of us. All good though. Just wind and rain.

We are the blue dot.

We are high enough not to have to worry about flooding.
    My wife is prepared though.

• I am so glad damage was minimal. Hope things get back to normal very quickly. Looks like Jacksonville and Georgia are in for a rough ride now. Best wishes to anyone close to Matthew's path!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Be safe OM!

• Hi guys. Made it back home this morning. Bailed out Thursday night for a local hotel room far enough in that it was out of the reach if the river overflowed too badly. They were talking about 10 to 12 foot storm surge, and being across the street from the river meant the wife would have her swimming pool without having to pay for one (sick j/k). Should have stayed home. Neighbors that did reported that they only lost power for an hour while the hotel we were at lost it about 2AM Friday morning and stil don't have it back. PLUS, they didn't have any back-up power supply or generators, so we had no emerncy lights, no hot water, no a/c, and no wifi to go along with the limited cell phone service and intermittent internet. Made it home to see that we have power, no flooding and only minimal roof damage to go along with the distruction of my banana plants. It could have been a LOT worse and I hope others were as lucky to dodge this massive bullet.

Thanks for all the concerns and well-wished from everyone that reached out to us. Thanks again - you're the best

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE