How to grease axle bearings

• Of course you have already jacked up and set the SS on the jack stands. Loosen the axle nuts first but do not remove. The single nut size is 41 mm the double nut size is 1 3/4 inch. The only one we could find at the time was a 12 point and we could not find a mm size at all, we needed one right then. Remove the tire and then remove the brake caliper. Take a block of wood and a sledge hammer ( this is why you left the nuts on so you would not damage the axle threads ) place the block of wood over the nuts and sharply hit with the sledge hammer to remove axle from the belt pulley. This should loosen the axle up so that you can remove after you take the axle nuts off. Pull the axle out, removing the belt pulley from it the only thing that will fall out is the bushing/bearing race for the needle bearing on the pulley side. This is where you take pictures of everything before you clean anything up and after you clean everything for Polaris warrenty work. After cleaning the needle bearing use the small needle on your grease gun to grease and using your finger to press grease in the needle bearings. Remember to dry any cleaning fluids from the housing before you grease the bearings. Now for the tire side, the inner race is a split race and will separate just enough for you to use the small needle on the grease gun and your finger to press the grease into the bearing. I used the Lucas green heavy duty grease because it had the highest temperature rating. My first greasing lasted 20,000 miles, that is from clicking to clicking on the bearing. Now reassembly everything and torque the inner nut to 250 foot pounds and the outer nut to 150 foot pounds. Harbor Freight and Snap On have a bearing puller that can pull the needle bearing on the pulley side without pulling the bearing on the tire side. I have bought the Harbor one but have not used it yet. I also have bought the torque wrench and a pull bar. I am also keeping a set of bearings for just in case, that will also travel with me. I have been messing with the dealer for over 4 weeks to get the bearings changed out under warrenty, he did not have in stock took him 2 weeks to get his and 3 days for me to receive mine. Also the next time that I grease I will mark where to drill hole for the grease fitting install. I am also going to build a greaser for greasing the tire side bearing once the axle is pulled. If you think I have left something out just let me know and I will add it in.

• I arrived at the dealership this morning and they took the SS back for the axle bearings to be replaced at 9 AM. they finished up at about 12/30 PM ( so 3 1/2 hours ) On Monday which was their first ever install it took them 6 hours, Polaris only pays 1 1/2 hour labor for this job. They replaced both bearings and the axle on both SS. 35,000 miles on mine greased once at 14,500 miles. The other had 6,000 miles, the bearings had never been greased since Polaris built it. Both bearings on this one were shot. So I am ready for another trip next week, back up and around Maggie Valley. My friend who drives an 18 wheeler is in Blairsville making a delivery right now and just told me the leaves are already changing colors in the mountains up there.