Roadog's D-Mod

• Hey all!!
    Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who shares my frustration with how badly dust collects in the rear rim, and surrounding area!!!
    Due to the design of the rear of these things, there is quite an area of dead air, and it allows dust to quickly accumulate on the rear suspension and inside the rim!! Drives me crazy!! I use my trusty California Duster after each ride, but it doesn't matter because 30 minutes into the next ride, the rim is covered in dust!!!
    My thoughts were to come up with something that would be functional but still fit with the overall look of Sling. I finally arrived at what I think is the answer!!!
    Below are pics of we affectionately call "Roadog's D-Mod"!!! The "D" of course stands for dust, and the mod aims to help keep it from accumulating as bad........

But first......the dust!!!

And now the D-Mod:

And now to clean my baby up, and go for a rip!!!
    Hope you like the idea, and if so, I can post the simple materials and dimensions!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Ok you have my full attention, so are you saying those to little rascals divert enough air into the wheel to keep the dust out?
    If so brother you are a genius!

I use my leaf blower after ever ride to clear out the wheel and adjoining area, just think of all the gas I will save.

Anxiously awaiting your final results

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• love it... great thinking and it looks good. You may need to see if you can add some adjustment outward to pull more air towards the rim.

@roadog1aj I agree about the dead air and just need to find a way to move it around more.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Disagree. As unfinished as the back looks with all the black plastic and not much color, I think a splash of color would look pretty good.

It also gives you another surface to mount reflectors or LEDs....

• Ok you have my full attention, so are you saying those to little rascals divert enough air into the wheel to keep the dust out?
    If so brother you are a genius!

I use my leaf blower after ever ride to clear out the wheel and adjoining area, just think of all the gas I will save.

Anxiously awaiting your final results

Thanks @MACAWS!! I too have used my leaf blower in an attempt to clear the damn dust. Then I stand there with my jaw on the ground as I watch all that fresh dust float in the only direction universe will allow.......directly over and onto my nice clean ALL Black Escalade!!!........ARRRGGHHH!!!! :00008862::00008862::00008862:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• love it... great thinking and it looks good. You may need to see if you can add some adjustment outward to pull more air towards the rim.

@roadog1aj I agree about the dead air and just need to find a way to move it around more.

Yea. I agree that actually looks great. If it diverts enough air to the rim to keep it clean it would be awesome. And it could actually be painted so neutral that you wouldn't even see them if that was what you wanted. I would like them to be painted white.

Thanks @Ruptured Duck & @rabtech!! I thought about the airflow and I'm thinking that I don't need focused blasts of air directly onto the rim, but merely keep the flow of air moving around the back in such a way as to not allow a dead spot to occur. The front rims stay relatively clean, without directed airflow. Although there is much more airflow in the front, the concept is the same.....no dead air!!!
    Once I get a chance to do some thorough road testing, I'll know if this is the bees knees. The nice thing is it wouldn't be hard at all to route some slots in these and adjust them in or out to tune the airflow!!!

Following. Can you do it in Blue Fire?

@KayTwo.......at this time I'm not planning to paint any more. I'm too much of a perfectionist, and wouldn't want to receive something less than perfect, so I couldn't send something to any one unless it was equally perfect. I'm no professional by any stretch of the imagination, and could never hope to match paint colors to everyone's tastes. I can offer details on how to make your own though!!! Easy to do, and pretty damn inexpensive if you do it yourself. I lucked out and found a red Krylon rattle-can that almost matches the faster red......at least enough to make me happy!!! If I was really looking for perfection.......I'd be making contact with @Painter for some love!!!! :00007555:

• @roadog1aj your project-mod brings up a subject that has bothered me from day one. Just how much modification to ones SS (not able to return to stock) are people willing to do when purchasing a product. I tend to let ideas go if I cannot find a way to attach an idea if it requires drilling or cutting that would be visible if removed. I'm in wrong thinking that way?... love your idea and could see the next owner (if there was one) not having an issue with it or keeping it. Am I stressing about this far toooo much?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Ok, so if anyone is interested in making their own here's some simple info:

*Take a 5 gallon bucket (white or yellow would be best for a brighter finish coat). Yep, the radius of the bucket seems to be just right, and the thickness is perfect for rigidity but light weight!!
    *Cut out two panels: 4 3/4" wide x 10 1/2" long
    *Drill two 17/64" holes on center 2 3/4" from top & 2 3/4" from bottom
    *Sand rough edges, and round off the corners
    *Scuff the surfaces to help the paint adhere better
    *Paint to personal preference. (I applied 4 light coats per side, (starting with backside) and lightly sanded between coats, before applying final coat)
    *Note: If you are using a black or dark bucket for the panels....I'd recommend a couple coats of white or silver first to get a brighter finish coat for red, yellow, green, blue, etc. (Krylon SuperMaxx Gloss seems to adhere to the plastic pretty good)
    *I used (4) 1 1/2" long steel tubes that are 1/2 in diameter and .065" thick. I had these available at work, but you can easily find nylon bushings at ACE Hardware that would work for the "Stand-Offs" just as well.
    *(4) 1/4-20 x 2" long Philips Button Head Screws (Ace Hardware)
    *(4) 1/4-20 Lock Nuts (Ace Hardware)
    *(4) 1/4" washers (only want them for the outside of the panels. No need to use with the lock nuts) (Ace Hardware)
    I took the time to paint the screw heads and washers to stick with the Red & Black colors of my Sling.
    *Place the panel against the radius of the rear corner of the Sling (exact location is your choice) and mark the hole spots for drilling.
    *Drill two 17/32" holes into the storage compartments
    *Mount your panels, one screw at a time with the screw, washer, panel, Stand-Offs, to the rear corner, then reach around into the storage compartment and start your lock nuts.
    *Using a Philips head screw driver and a 7/16" socket and ratchet, lightly snug each screw and bolt, but don't tighten. Step away from the Sling and "Eyeball" the panel to be sure it is where you want it and square with the lines of the Sling. Once you're happy with the location, tighten the locknuts.
    *Repeat the mounting process for the other panel, and that's it job done!!! Not very hard at all!!!
    I must say, I like the looks of these mounted back there. They seem to break up an otherwise boring area, and stand out with the red color. The shape also flows well with that area of the Sling, and does not look odd or out of place. But that's just my opinion and I am rather biased towards my own project. (I would be the first one to yank em back off, though, if I thought they looked ridiculous to me!!!)
    Hope these details help someone else if they are interested in doing this mod!!!!! Thanks for all the positive responses too!!!

Edited once, last by roadog1aj ().

• @roadog1aj your project-mod brings up a subject that has bothered me from day one. Just how much modification to ones SS (not able to return to stock) are people willing to do when purchasing a product. I tend to let ideas go if I cannot find a way to attach an idea if it requires drilling or cutting that would be visible if removed. I'm in wrong thinking that way?... love your idea and could see the next owner (if there was one) not having an issue with it or keeping it. Am I stressing about this far toooo much?

100% agree @Ruptured Duck!! That is a good question indeed!!! I fretted over this exact thing before I actually did the deed and drilled the holes. For me, the expected results and how well I thought the panels looked in that area overrode my worry bout the 4 small holes I was making. (I actually made sure there was some good plastic filler available to fill the holes too if need be)
    Happily, I am very pleased with the results, so I'm no longer concerned with having to fill the holes. These panels are now a permanent part of my Sling. As far as worrying about another owner liking the panels...well, I just can't speak for that, but I'd have to believe that if they were interested enough in buying the Sling, the panels would have played a small part in how much they like the looks of the Sling?? It's kinda like others putting spoilers/wings on the back of their Slings, "Sling Wings" on the sides, and all other manner of mods that require drilling or permanently changing the structure of their Slings. Some like those mods, and some....not so much!!!
    I thought about doing some kind of 3M sticky tape or something like that, but we all know how well that stuff holds in hot weather!!
    For better or worse, drilling and bolting the panels were the best direction for my own requirement that these be sturdy and capable of withstanding high wind pressure. (Didn't know when I first started this project that I'd be making them plenty sturdy enough to hold up to the Turbo package I'm getting in Lake George!!! :00000441::00000441:
    Anyways...hope this covers your question Brother!!!

• Am I stressing about this far toooo much?

May I ask how many people do not have Cycle Springs Mats, which attach by poking 2 holes on each floorboard?????? Alpha is the most popular CAI, it seems, (although I have a Hahn.) Most Alpha's require cutting a wire, due to throttle relocation, I believe. (although some HAVE done the mod w/o doing so- Noel cuts the wires.)
    Just a couple of examples- IMHO, you are overthinking this. Those plastic push fasteners that Polaris seems so fond of would easily blend in, if someone removes the mod.

• May I ask how many people do not have Cycle Springs Mats, which attach by poking 2 holes on each floorboard?????? Alpha is the most popular CAI, it seems, (although I have a Hahn.) Most Alpha's require cutting a wire, due to throttle relocation, I believe. (although some HAVE done the mod w/o doing so- Noel cuts the wires.)Just a couple of examples- IMHO, you are overthinking this. Those plastic push fasteners that Polaris seems so fond of would easily blend in, if someone removes the mod.

Great idea about the push pins!!! Would fit perfectly into Polaris' styling :00000436:
    @Ruptured Duck had a legitimate question, as I'm horribly anal about making changes to my Sling that can't be undone!!!
    Believe me, I thought long and hard about even poking those 4 holes into my baby!!!! I'll be happy as a pig in shit while they are installing the turbo and dress-up kit on my Sling, but another part of me will be a frickin nervous wreck knowing that they are working my Sling........I may have to do some heavv sedation in liquid form to keep that anal side of me in check!!! confused-squared