Tire question

• I have right at 8,000 miles on my SS. We are leaving on a trip this weekend, likely put around 1,700 miles on it in 4 days. My tread on the rear is worn some, but still looks to have 3/16th inch of depth to the tread. It's only 10% or less chance of rain where we will be riding. I planned to get a new rear tire when I get back. Thing is, even though I have pretty deep tread left, the first wear bar is getting really close. I'm just looking for input here. I've seen these tire run so far that they nearly look like slicks. With the low chance of rain, and 1,000 miles of that will be getting there and back on 2 and 4 lane roads, I think I'll run this tire for the trip. Thoughts?

• I have right at 8,000 miles on my SS. We are leaving on a trip this weekend, likely put around 1,700 miles on it in 4 days. My tread on the rear is worn some, but still looks to have 3/16th inch of depth to the tread. It's only 10% or less chance of rain where we will be riding. I planned to get a new rear tire when I get back. Thing is, even though I have pretty deep tread left, the first wear bar is getting really close. I'm just looking for input here. I've seen these tire run so far that they nearly look like slicks. With the low chance of rain, and 1,000 miles of that will be getting there and back on 2 and 4 lane roads, I think I'll run this tire for the trip. Thoughts?

Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Trying to get the last bit of use on these tires put the s/s so much closer to hydro planning IF you happen to run into rain. PLUS, the more worn the tires, the more prone to getting flat if you run over something sharp. I've got 4/32 remaining on my rear tire and will be heading out to Eureka Springs next weekend and will not take that chance. Not having a spare, being that far from home, and the way the weather patterns have been, it's not worth the risk for me to try. IF I was hanging around town on the other hand, I'd run it down to the first tread wear bar then install the new one. Good luck in your decision and hope it works out for you (and enjoy your trip). Oh, and if you actually have 3/16 tread remaining (3/16 = 6/32), the tire is basically only half worn. It's totally worn out and needing replacement at 2/32 in most states

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I changed mine last year because it was just about down to the wear bar and we were going to Maggie Valley in Oct. we going to do about 1500 miles. I did not want to take the chance of riding in the wet. I still have it in the shop for a spare if I have to have one quickly. The only tire I could get at the time in 2 days before we left was the BFG COMP, did not get but about 10,000 miles out of that one ( very little spinning )

• I changed mine last year because it was just about down to the wear bar and we were going to Maggie Valley in Oct. we going to do about 1500 miles. I did not want to take the chance of riding in the wet. I still have it in the shop for a spare if I have to have one quickly. The only tire I could get at the time in 2 days before we left was the BFG COMP, did not get but about 10,000 miles out of that one ( very little spinning )

Calling for less than 10% chance still where I will be. You say very little spinning, I've never had the traction control off in 8,000 miles. I'm to the wear bar, well close anyway. But I play in the twisty roads, and that is what I look for when I can. I'm taking the chance, I'm certain I'll need a new tire as soon as I return. I avoid potholes, debris in the road, and will be running no high speeds above 70 mph or so for the most part. I'll try to remember to get a pic of it when I return, or if it is my demise.... :D I won't likely be on here for a few days. Should check in by Wed sometime.

Say a prayer for us, send us good vibes, or good thoughts. Any and all are appreciated! If this were a brand new machine, and no miles, things could go wrong. The fact is, I'd rather take this one than a new one... I'm getting to know this one....

• My dad used to tell me "if it bothers you enough to ask then its probably time to change". I would have changed it right before the wear bars were even. But that is me.... I do spin ALOT!.

My next set will probably NITTO 555. These TOYO tires SUCK!

You may be right. But it's after 9pm here, and I'm leaving in the morning early. If needed, there are tire stores in every state. On a good point, I have checked fluids, checked for leaks, checked for rear bearing issues, and checked the drive belt. All are in perfect shape, and dry and in adjustment. SS is cleaned, and packed. Will let you all know how it goes, hopefully after I get back home without any problems.

• You may be right. But it's after 9pm here, and I'm leaving in the morning early. If needed, there are tire stores in every state. On a good point, I have checked fluids, checked for leaks, checked for rear bearing issues, and checked the drive belt. All are in perfect shape, and dry and in adjustment. SS is cleaned, and packed. Will let you all know how it goes, hopefully after I get back home without any problems.

I'm in Vail with Slingshots Across America and need a new rear tire - should have replaced it before I left Virginia. One of the young guys with us works for Discount Tire. He called everywhere around the Denver area - found one store with 2 proper size tires - both BF Goodrich. 118 miles away! Good luck and be safe!

• Rab please tell me you're not referring to 888's.... I have a set being delivered Tuesday, I started to go Nittos.... Probably next time