Stretched / WIDENING your rear wheel

• Well thank you for the compliment Phil but what it really boils down to is I can't afford to f*#k up so I try real hard to do it right the first time. ;(;):thumbup:

• Thanks @Slunglow! @funinthesun is right... :thumbup:

So, looking at the 345/25/20 Toyo T1R which would best work on a 12 to 13 inch rim... Therefore, I send my 20 inch SL rear to weldwheel and ask for 3 inches (20x9 becomes 20x12)? Then buy a 1.5 inch hub spacer? Which spacer? 5x114.3 to 5x114.3, but there are many options... Anything else needed? Saw @SlingRider mention something about 66.1mm ring on TDS?

Did a lot of research last night, but still a bit confused...

man @MiM, don't go around asking for 3" with @Tripod lurking around :P

• Thanks @Slunglow! @funinthesun is right... :thumbup:

So, looking at the 345/25/20 Toyo T1R which would best work on a 12 to 13 inch rim... Therefore, I send my 20 inch SL rear to weldwheel and ask for 3 inches (20x9 becomes 20x12)? Then buy a 1.5 inch hub spacer? Which spacer? 5x114.3 to 5x114.3, but there are many options... Anything else needed? Saw @SlingRider mention something about 66.1mm ring on TDS?

Did a lot of research last night, but still a bit confused...

Between the cost of widening the rear wheel, paint, and a quality set of spacers you could just buy a wheel with the size you want and the proper offset. We all know too well the build quality of the Slingshots and you want to add a 1.5" spacer in to the equation. Be safe gents.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I've thought of that @WraithSS, but then the added cost of the 2 front wheels...?

Or has someone found a similar wheel from the 2015 SLs?

I also worry about those said SL wheels and the shattering I saw pictures of...

It's roughly $800 for the modded OEM rear, or $2000 for a whole new set... :S

You've also spent a lot of time with @lrobbis Sling... How's the rear holding up? Lewis, yyou put a 1.5 inch hub spacer, right?

• @MiM IMO it's just a matter of time before the SLR wheels (or ones you like even better) hit the used market. Should you decide the "gently used" path you just need to know a good deal when you see it and jump on it before someone else does. :thumbup:

• Also factor in the damages to your vehicle if your wheel bearing takes a dump from the added stress or depending on the grade of the spacer the wheel falls off. I've seen horrible things happen on the trail with spacers and on the road with people using spacers to get "stance".

Just trying to add some information about the downfalls of this type of modification. Would hate to see anything bad happen to someone or their Slingshot. Spacers are just a band-aid....not a fix.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• @MiM something to keep in mind is that THE aftermarket shocks won't fit with a 345 rear tire that is on a centered +45 offset. Not sure on the math (sure @lrobbi could tell you) but I would look at having a slight offset to the left to allow room for shocks if you have them

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @MiM something to keep in mind is that THE aftermarket shocks won't fit with a 345 rear tire that is on a centered +45 offset. Not sure on the math (sure @lrobbi could tell you) but I would look at having a slight offset to the left to allow room for shocks if you have them

Very true to consider ... I have approximately 3/4" of clearance with a 315 on the rear ... I have the air bag system so it's a little "fatter" than a traditional spring suspension

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

Ahhh.... I have the JRI 2 ways... :cursing:

So back to the drawing board? You're saying a 345 won't fit...?

• It won't fit if the wheel/tire are on center.
    I got this info from @Painter when he was helping someone else with theirs. Had to put in a 5mm spacer I do believe.

So a 345 will fit, but does require a slight shift to the left to accommodate the shock.

Speaking of shocks. @Ruptured Duck is working on a change to the stock shocks to improve ride. I have asked him if the spring he is using is any wider or not.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• It won't fit if the wheel/tire are on center.
    I got this info from @Painter when he was helping someone else with theirs. Had to put in a 5mm spacer I do believe.

So a 345 will fit, but does require a slight shift to the left to accommodate the shock.

Speaking of shocks. @Ruptured Duck is working on a change to the stock shocks to improve ride. I have asked him if the spring he is using is any wider or not.

@SlingRider I just reused the OE spring and shock in the rear. Just modified the OE swingarm mount. Does lower the shock spring towards the swingarm. I'll need to look again this afternoon but I believe the stock spring increases in width one or two coils up from the base. Looking at your rear tire and were the wider coils are positioned in the stock location clear your tire. I'm not sure if it were lowered?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @MiM the best traction I have had is on the better halfs. We bought 2 extra base rear wheels and installed them on the front with the stock size rear tire. We then put the biggest tire I could fit on the rear.
    I am close to swapping wheels with her.
    My belief is there is a point where the weight of the sling is so light that a wider tire spreads the ground contact to much. It would be better to take the 18in rim and put the tallest fattest tire on it for added flex (=traction).
    I bought two rears for 500.00 and had all three powder coated for 160.00.

• @MiM the best traction I have had is on the better halfs. We bought 2 extra base rear wheels and installed them on the front with the stock size rear tire. We then put the biggest tire I could fit on the rear.
    I am close to swapping wheels with her.
    My belief is there is a point where the weight of the sling is so light that a wider tire spreads the ground contact to much. It would be better to take the 18in rim and put the tallest fattest tire on it for added flex (=traction).
    I bought two rears for 500.00 and had all three powder coated for 160.00.

@Slingrazor, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've been looking for the answer to this question in the Forum, and I can't find it so far. Do you know, what is the widest rear tire you can put on the stock 9 inch rim?