Another Slingshot Engulfed in Flames

• You can't tell how it started. For all we know it could have been a rag getting hung under it and catching on fire or even two payments rubbing together to close. I'm not saying it's either of those things but I am saying we won't ever know how it really started. I doubt the driver knew exactly where it started.

I do hope the occupants got out unhurt. Fire is a nasty thing. I don't even like to get a little sunburned so I'm positive I don't want to loose any skin in a fire....

Who wrote this article .... Can-Am ????

So we have a Slingshot on the side of the road burning with no history, no idea of what may have been the cause, an owner who will not comment, and no details ... coupled with a vague mention and no details offered of the other one that burned after rolling, its driver apparently having had a serious medical event, lost control, and drifting off the road at high speed eventually hitting a berm. Sensationalist "journalism" at its finest......

This guy has a bright future writing for one of the political parties .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• When I started reading this I thought they had confused the 2010- 2013 can am Spyder with the slingshot. Now they had some serious heat and fire issues.

I don't see where 2 out of 20,000 is going to make me feel worried about mine.

This article is really vague. Hopefully someone can post some more details.

• Glad the occupants are safe...
    Hopefully we will learn more on the details, cause, issue or some sort of freak accident.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• This couldn't be more useless of an article. Now I'm all for safety minded behavior, but a vague article with a friend saying that the owner is "big in the mc world" doesn't scare me at all. For crying out loud with the number of mods we all do someone could have screwed up something on his and had fuel leaking like crazy. You show me stock slingshots bursting in to flames for no good reason and then I'll be concerned.

• When I started reading this I thought they had confused the 2010- 2013 can am Spyder with the slingshot. Now they had some serious heat and fire issues.

I don't see where 2 out of 20,000 is going to make me feel worried about mine.

This article is really vague. Hopefully someone can post some more details.

Totally agree. I was a Can-Am rider for 4+ years before I switched over to the SS. In those 4 years, I had no problems whatsoever with the Spyder. Trust me, I was hearing alot about how the Spyder was a rolling time-bomb waiting to burst into flames. Never happen during my tour. If I'm not mistaken, I think only 5 or 6 actually erupted into flames...I could be wrong. But if you think about it, BRP sold a buttload of those things, and only a small number had that type of problem. Granted, I know that none of us want to be in that minority...and if you think about it, most of us never will. This article left out a lot. And until I find supporting facts, I'm still going to ride it like I stoled it!
    We all practice safe riding. We all practice pre and post checks. This just hammers home the actual idea of being just a little more diligent in our efforts.

• erupting in flames a concern?????? Heck no!
    wondering if Polaris will ship your warranty parts NOW, or at the start of rainy/snowy season?????? Heck YES!

I would venture a guess that the marshmallow roast gone bad was due to mods is a far more likely scenario........ The only plus to the crappy reporting was that allegedly, no one was injured.

• "Keep your Polaris ride in low revs and avoid bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic to avoid overheating."

Ok I can try to avoid bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic but "keep your Polaris in low revs" WTF ? No how, no way, if I gotta do that I'll just take my chances with bursting into flames. Lol

I would like to repeat what others have said thank God no one was hurt. :thumbsup:

• "Keep your Polaris ride in low revs and avoid bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic to avoid overheating."

That was the funniest and probably the most irresponsible part of the article .....

The author has no idea what happened to cause the fire but feels he is knowledgeable enough to offer owners advise on how to prevent it .......... dipshit.....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Maybe I'm wrong but the muffler doesn't look stock and the rim in the drivers seat looks like it may have failed, possibly from an impact, before the fire...
    The fire truck looks like it says Cordelia Fire District on the door so this may have happened just north of San Francisco. One of the cars passing by the accident looks to have California plates?
    I hope somehow we can get more info on the events that transpired before the Sling became an inferno.

• LOL. For real. It may have been one of those yahoos that did that YouTube comparison with the Miata. That was about as one sided as this article.