Unbiased opinion on Short Shifters

• OK guys, I would like your unbiased opinion on the two different shifters out there. DDM and Alpha
    I already have the DDM, Alpha says theirs is better and shifts more smoothly? Can anyone talk on this. Really don't have extra $$$ to spend but if its really true, would like a smoother shift.

Help Me out folks

• I can't talk to the alpha version but my shifting got way smoother when I have the software updates a couple of weeks ago. I have had he DDM version since 8 miles on the SS

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• I had been running the original February 2015 software whit all the rev hang. With the most recent update the rev hang got way better so I'm guessing that is why up and down shifting got way smoother.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• I, too, have the DDM Works shifter. Initially, I wasn't sure if I really liked it as it seemed harder to shift and occasionally seemed reluctant to downshift from 2nd to 1st. Now, with 10K+ miles on the shifter, I've gotten much more used to it and rarely encounter a problem downshifting into 1st. I'm not sure I'd really like going back to the original long-throw shifting pattern.
    As far as differences between the two brands, I would have to agree with Flybuddy. The physics of the shift operation shouldn't really differ unless one manufacturer is using some amazing, new, reduced-friction material.

• I have an Alpha and love it. Easy and smooth. Don't know about DDM, never driven with one

I read a couple of reviews from guys that had the other and changed to Alpha...said it was smoooother

• *disclaimer-Alpha is local to me and I can be seen commenting on a few of their products. That said, this does not affect my opinion on either of the listed shifter upgrades. I've spent my hard earned money on both options.

The DDM shifter (3,000+miles) w/metal shift knob definitely improved the feeling over the stock setup that just has no feel to it. I loved the shorter throw and connected feel to the machine but.....It does have a notchy 1-2 feeling when shifting gears. This is not the end of the world and not worth going back to the no feeling stock shifter but it is what it is, kinda notchy and clunky feeling. *still recommend this as an upgrade over stock.

The alpha short throw shifter w/same metal shift knob(nearly 500 miles on it) also has that solid "connected" feeling as well a super short throws. They must have used a slightly different geometry or something because the shifts have definitely been smoothed out. Not buttery smooth (thankfully, as I mentioned before I like to "feel connected" to what's going on) but a much smoother shift than the DDM for sure. My wife drove the SS for the first time ever today and hasn't driven a stick in around 3 years. she didn't have any trouble with my current Alpha setup. *also an upgrade over stock and in my unbiased opinion an upgrade over the DDM.

• I have had the DDM shifter since day two, and find it very good. No delays in shifting up or down, including reasonably quick shifts both up and down. Perhaps the Alpha is smoother, but the DDM is fine by me.

• *disclaimer-Alpha is local to me and I can be seen commenting on a few of their products. That said, this does not affect my opinion on either of the listed shifter upgrades. I've spent my hard earned money on both options.

The DDM shifter (3,000+miles) w/metal shift knob definitely improved the feeling over the stock setup that just has no feel to it. I loved the shorter throw and connected feel to the machine but.....It does have a notchy 1-2 feeling when shifting gears. This is not the end of the world and not worth going back to the no feeling stock shifter but it is what it is, kinda notchy and clunky feeling. *still recommend this as an upgrade over stock.

The alpha short throw shifter w/same metal shift knob(nearly 500 miles on it) also has that solid "connected" feeling as well a super short throws. They must have used a slightly different geometry or something because the shifts have definitely been smoothed out. Not buttery smooth (thankfully, as I mentioned before I like to "feel connected" to what's going on) but a much smoother shift than the DDM for sure. My wife drove the SS for the first time ever today and hasn't driven a stick in around 3 years. she didn't have any trouble with my current Alpha setup. *also an upgrade over stock and in my unbiased opinion an upgrade over the DDM.

Terrific..a review from someone who has actually driven with both..now if we can only find someone who has driven a DDM supercharged sling as well as an Alpha supercharged one.

• We have an Alpha short shifter that we will be installing later today and look forward to the comparison here. From what we can tell right now, the Alpha shifter positions the center of the pivot of the shifter a little further down than our shifter, this would make the shifting easier, but make the throw a longer. We will get some measurements later today and post it all up for everyone once we have the information and just post up measurements and other objective data.

• We have an Alpha short shifter that we will be installing later today and look forward to the comparison here. From what we can tell right now, the Alpha shifter positions the center of the pivot of the shifter a little further down than our shifter, this would make the shifting easier, but make the throw a longer. We will get some measurements later today and post it all up for everyone once we have the information and just post up measurements and other objective data.

Dave thats great! Please do let us know.. I have yours and while I like it, it is a little notchy of a shift. Would like a smoother shift.

• The first mod I did, in the first week I had my sling, was the DDM shifter. I have been extremely happy with it. Yes, it is a tad notchy but with the much shorter throw I feel much more connected.

2016 Bluefire LE, the fastest color. :D:BLUESS:

• Dave thats great! Please do let us know.. I have yours and while I like it, it is a little notchy of a shift. Would like a smoother shift.

If yours is a little notchy, you might want to pull out the shifter and make sure the center plate that comes with our kit has the pins low instead of high. The plate on our kit has the pins offset and can be installed either way, up or down and work, but if the pins are offset up, it is really notchy. We fixed a couple at Maggie Valley and in the instructions made it a little more clear and also have stickers showing the correct direction on the newer kits, just something to check though.

• If yours is a little notchy, you might want to pull out the shifter and make sure the center plate that comes with our kit has the pins low instead of high. The plate on our kit has the pins offset and can be installed either way, up or down and work, but if the pins are offset up, it is really notchy. We fixed a couple at Maggie Valley and in the instructions made it a little more clear and also have stickers showing the correct direction on the newer kits, just something to check though.

Thank You I will check as soon as I get a chance,