Steering tie rod rattle

• Developed a rattle in the right front. Jacked it up and started banging around. Steering tie rod is rattling under the rubber boot up next to the frame where I assume it ties into the steering rack. So, what's under the boot? Boot is zip tied on the large end and quik re-usable clip at small end. No real problem to get into but is there anything in there to adjust, tighten.

Feeling lazy.... :whistling:

Oh, and thanks.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Well, you're not very much @funinthesun. Weather gonna be iffy next few weeks. Dealer an hour away interstate. SSITS countdown. Gonna peel the boot back tonight and make calls tomorrow. Not the best plan... but, a plan.

Thanks for the word.

• Well, you're not very much @funinthesun. Weather gonna be iffy next few weeks. Dealer an hour away interstate. SSITS countdown. Gonna peel the boot back tonight and make calls tomorrow. Not the best plan... but, a plan.

Thanks for the word.

If you're anywhere close to me, I'll gladly give up mone for you and they can order me another one

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• If you're anywhere close to me, I'll gladly give up mone for you and they can order me another one

Thanks for the offer@'funinthesun'. Gonna get some confirmation on my woes. Hang on to that rack, Polaris may not ever issue another one. Headed to the garage to peek see. May be some blood letting here or at least venting soon.

• So, made a little video of the rattle in the right front tie rod coming out of the steering rack. Includes the inner boot peeled back.

https://youtu.be/M7f36BFFJMQ

Didn't see anything that makes this a park and wait. Mostly annoying, but will contact my dealer to see what they will do.

...and pics, cause it did happen.

• Oh, you know I will. Some free play in the large rod where it comes out of the steering rack carrier tube. Packed it up with some grease while I had the boot opened and pulled it into the carrier by turning to the left.

• thanks for the video- now, I guess I gotta go open the loaner ss and bang around- heard the same rattle/popping noise intermittently, last couple of times it was on the road. :(

Sorry, took me a little bit to find it. Sounded like a coil-over spring rattle on choppy bumps. Found a horn bracket bent back almost into the frame, thought that was it. It was a rattle, but not this one. Found a squeal squeak from the hood mound scraping the center light screws. Its those annoying things...
    But, think I found serious on the tie rod.

Think you had enough problems... just enjoy the loaner and give it back with a list of issues to say thanks when they finish with yours. :00007555:

• Sorry, took me a little bit to find it

took me 30 seconds because of your video- didn't even open the hood- just walked out to the garage, and performed the same thump/wiggle test that you showed in your video- passenger side has a wiggle bounce to it, Driver side solid as a rock. WTF- 3000 miles on the damn thing.......
    Now my only question, since I'm not mechanic- presume it's safe to drive this way for a while?????

• Yes, it's safe to ride, but have your dealer check it out. The exact same issue mine has and they ordered the replacement rack. I'm just waiting to get the time to bring it down there and have it done and laser aligned again afterwards.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I personally don't see an immediate impending failure, it's the large rod inside the steering carriage tube. Will call dealer later today to set up an appointment. Mine started to rattle 'bout two weeks ago. Sure did not buy it that way. 4200 miles here.

• Made an appointment with the dealer for Tuesday. Got to be there before two pm so they can "run diagnostics". Skip the "high tech" and try old school "troubleshoot". And if they need three hours to find tie rod end play, I have a @NatomasSlingshot1 who can nail it for 'em in under 30 secs...

• Got to be there before two pm so they can "run diagnostics".

holy shit! apparently they have not checked with Polaris to see how much time they can back-charge for a steering rack install.
    BTW- I'd call them back, and suggest that they get one on order w/ Polaris. Last thing you want to hear is 2 weeks back-order. Besides, Polaris does NOT pay to expedite parts. My dealer would have reacted on the video you shot, and opened a case.
    your dealer is a piece of work, IMO

• Hey! I am in Alabama! I am lucky that they even have a computer! It wasn't working the last time I was in there, but they got one. When a good ol boy orders a part for a vehicle here, they get one! You don't want him and his cousins coming to pick it up! At least that's the way I suspect it works...

• airoutlaw
    Thank You for your posting concerning
    tie-rods/rack
    my slingshot had the rack replaced during the recall way back - have about 6,000 miles on the replaced rack
    AND - i check it and the good news is that it is is fine - no rattling or looseness
    Hope all fellow SlingShot owners check theirs

.......................................... tom n carol