Heat kit finally installed!

• Well I picked up the factory heat kit for my 2016. I'm not sure you all know but it's hotter then then Hades nuts here in Fl and the]at certainly doesn't help the slingshot or its passengers. Honestly it's a combo of a few things that have finally got cabin temps under control but this was a pretty big help all around.

So here's a quick review. The good first. It's worth every bit of the $80 to get it. It really really does help. Even with cycles springs mat kit and some Dynomat and a custom plate to block engine heat it's still freak'n hot. The exhaust shield and radiator cover are a big plus in removing heat. Now the ebrake area doesn't cook your hand after riding in 95+ heat. Don't get me wrong it's warm still but not melt your hand hot. Kit looks good and since its factory, well it looks factory.

The bad. Let me say for the record that I really want to kick some engineers in the proverbial sac with how they design stuff. You gotta pull the entire front end apart to do it. And even then it still doesn't want to go right in. Then they give you Allen heads to bolt it to the radiator and the way the lower radiator hose is bent you can't get anything on it easily so they don't screw on or line up very easily. Just think sitting there turning an Allen wrench a 1/4 turn at a time. Also 2 of the 6 bolts that drop the front you cannot get sockets on so get your wrench out to the tune of about 1/3 of a turn at a time. And of course Polaris used crappy grade bolts and nuts so everything strips or cross threads way to easy.

Really that's the major gripe you have to disassemble so much crap to put it in. As a person who likes doing my own work it's a bit of a ball ache. But the finished product is definitely worth the aggravation of installation for the heat it takes out. And yes the exhaust is a pain as well but not as bad as the radiator shroud. Overall good buy for the price, works as advertised and does make a happy driver afterwards. Recommend dealer install if your not super handy LOL.

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• sorry to hear but agree it does work. The system was designed to be installed on the line. At least they didn't jack the price for this kit. Guess they knew it would be a royal PITA so soften the blow with a lower price.. ;(

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I just pulled the radiator out and installed it without removing the front end. Seemed much easier this way. Even slid it down behind the intercooler into its location.
    I'm not sure why they want everyone to pull the complete front end off of it.

Stephen

• I don't think they wanted anyone draining the cooling system. Seeing as their is no temp gauge and only an idiot light I can see the point. But still.

2023 Graphite Blue R Manual

2022 Tesla Mode 3 Performance

2020 Toyota Supra MK5 - way to many mods

2022 Harley Davidson Apex Road King

• did anyone take pics?... we need to keep populating the DIY section. A good write-up with pics and the proper way to fill and burn the cooling system would be a good one.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• My dealers mech told me he does not remove the whole front clip.
    What he does instead.
    When it is time to remove the front clip he pulls one of the four mount bolts at a time and replaces it with one of the bolts from the roll bars. After doing this for each of the 4 bolts the front clip can be slid forward, using the bolts as a rail, enough to do what is needed.
    I will be trying this when I do mine.
    It probably helps that he has spare roll bar bolts laying around.

• I also like doing my own work. I must admit it was a bitch. Took me about 6 hours over 2 days because I had trouble with the side panel. I also put a cat delete pipe on. I have a pitbull mc jack that I put under the front end and then removed the bolts and just slid the jack out with the front on it. I did not disconnect any hoses but did cut 14 zip ties to allow the front to slide forward. Had a hard time lining up the holes on the radiator shroud. Would I do it again? Now that I know how I would but would not be looking forward to it. I can only bend over the machine for a few hours before my back needs a break. Wife said heat is almost all gone and she is happy. I also plugged the firewall holes with foam.

• Use a small screw driver or punch to hold the shroud and fan together in one hole on each side. This allows you to focus on installing the bolt in the other hole without having to support or align the parts together. I fought it for 10 minutes first. Once I put in a screwdriver in one of the holes it was completely bolted up in less than 5 minutes.

Stephen

• talking about heat I'm going to see if there is any validity to a comment made on the dark side regarding the angle drive operating temp and the use of the rear splash guard.
    If you read the thread the splash guards raise the differential operating temp by as much as 45 degrees.
    The lower you can keep the temps the longer the gear life.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• talking about heat I'm going to see if there is any validity to a comment made on the dark side regarding the angle drive operating temp and the use of the rear splash guard.
    If you read the thread the splash guards raise the differential operating temp by as much as 45 degrees.
    The lower you can keep the temps the longer the gear life.

I read that thread also. I look forward to see what you and the smart guys over here say...... I have a little homemade mud flap on mine.

@rabtech@Orangeman@MACAWS etc., etc....... Please chime in

• I read that thread also. I look forward to see what you and the smart guys over here say...... I have a little homemade mud flap on mine.

@rabtech@Orangeman@MACAWS etc., etc....... Please chime in

I have had the splash guard on since day 1
    9K + with no issues or concerns but that was one of my first concerns when people started running exhaust down the tunnel and out the back.
    I have not compared operating temps with and without so I can not tell you if those numbers are valid or not

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• its really a question of gear oil temps. Synthetic oil is good up to around 220-250 if memory serves. You want it to get around 160-180 I think. Cooler couldn't hurt but I'm not gonna stress if it's slightly higher than that.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().