Where Did You Take Your Slingshot Today?

• I see a picture like that and say to myself - where the hell is the next gas station?

Believe me when I first started riding in the desert I thought the exact same thing! It took a while for me to relax and enjoy the ride and not worry about being in the middle of nowhere. There is great peace and joy being in the middle of nowhere🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• not able to go anywhere right now. sling still on stands and waiting on a new header so i can continue my turbo install. I had to get a new header in order to accept the air fuel ratio bung as I was not about to try drilling and threading and all that stuff for it. So i bought a new one and am waiting for it. ECM comes back today from OBD for tuning/flash, i am getting closer though.

• not able to go anywhere right now. sling still on stands and waiting on a new header so i can continue my turbo install. I had to get a new header in order to accept the air fuel ratio bung as I was not about to try drilling and threading and all that stuff for it. So i bought a new one and am waiting for it. ECM comes back today from OBD for tuning/flash, i am getting closer though.

I'm in the same boat, have not gone anywhere for a few months. Removed my exhaust at the end of December last year, still waiting for the new set-up. I have the supercharger but prior to removing the exhaust I always ran mid-grade fuel. So... I have to hold for the new exhaust, then run a second tank of premium and/or super prior to the install. Then send out the ECM while installing the supercharger.

• Believe me when I first started riding in the desert I thought the exact same thing! It took a while for me to relax and enjoy the ride and not worry about being in the middle of nowhere. There is great peace and joy being in the middle of nowhere🙂

At least in Nebraska they warn you..

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Well, I'm bummed. Went on a ride with a bunch of folks yesterday - and I only got 1 picture. Hopefully, the others will post here and we can see some more.

Friend of a friend is a location scout for the movies. Took us around the local North Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock area to show us where some move scenes were filmed. A couple of them were distant houses that we couldn't get to (The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and the house from Second Hand Lions). Only one we could get up to is the Cele Country Store, also from Second Hand Lions. Of course after the fact I realized that the angle I took the pic put a tree in front of the store so you can't see squat.

But here's a better view from the movie itself. I'm told the ONLY thing that the movie production company had to do was move a coke machine out of the middle of the room to the side (you can see it in the movie against the back wall). Otherwise, as you see it in the movie is exactly as it appears in real life. It's still open Thurs-Sat nights for lunch & dinner only as a BBQ.

Some of the places we stopped:

• Downtown Old Pflugerville - Used as "Chicago" in "The Newton Boys".
      • Fun Fact: One of Matthew McConaughey's first movies.
    • Downtown Old Pflugerville empty lot - Used in "Courage Under Fire" - you can see it at 1:25 in the official trailer.
      • Fun Fact, the dog walking in the background behind Denzel Washington was just a regular person walking - not part of the movie, per our leader.
    • Old farmhouse in Pflugerville - Used as the house in Second Hand Lions. You can see it at 0:16 in the trailer.
      • Fun fact: The "front" of the house in the movie is really the side of the house. The front door and porch were added just for the movie to the side then returned to their original position after filming.
    • Cele Country Store - Here's the scene with the store. (It was closed when we visited, but I'm told it looks EXACTLY like this still today.)
    • The Best Little WhoreHouse In Texas - It's fenced off so you can't get close, but you can see it in the opening credits at 1:45.
      • Fun Fact: Only the distance outside scenes were shot here. Everything else was done in a studio.
    • Manager's house from Office Space. Just a regular normal neighbor hood house. Wouldn't know any difference from any other house.
      • Fun Fact: This is one of the few places that they actually shot most of these scenes for a movie. Both the inside, garage, and back yard scenes were actually shot at this house. And yes, that water tank is really there.

Hopefully some others will post pictures since I'm an Eye-Dee-10-Tea.

• PS. BTW, it's a well-known fact that "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" (early film for both Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio) was shot around here: Lake scene was Lake Pflugerville (before it became surrounded by subdivisions and "improved"), most of the "town" was Manor, Tx including the water tower that Leonard climbed, the court house was in Lockhart, and the house was actually in Pflugerville less than a mile from the Lake, but it really was burnt down during the film. (We didn't visit any of those sites . . . . darn.)

• I always ran mid-grade fuel.

i always run 91 or 93 octane, whichever is highest at the gas station i pull into. nothing less. but always running the highest octane is what i was told from the day i got it. i never challenged the fuel recommendation but i guess if i would have put some common sense into it i would have known it is a regular car engine? but its currently sitting with 93 in it so when the install is finished i will be good to go without having to worry about it.

• i always run 91 or 93 octane, whichever is highest at the gas station i pull into. nothing less. but always running the highest octane is what i was told from the day i got it. i never challenged the fuel recommendation but i guess if i would have put some common sense into it i would have known it is a regular car engine? but its currently sitting with 93 in it so when the install is finished i will be good to go without having to worry about it.

I always run 91/93 in my motorcycle. As you said with the slingshot I thought of it as a chevy car engine so I went with mid grade as I typically use in my trucks with absoulty no issues after 42 years. For sure all 91/93 from this point on.

• I run 93 non ethanol in everything that I own, even the lawn mower. It just might surprise you how much better the engine will run with 93 rather than 89 and you just may get better gas mileage. Yes, with the computer controlled injection. Do not believe everything your government tells you about gasoline either.

• Sounds like a great ride/day. I love that kind of exploring and intrigued by small old towns. Also loved the movie Second Hand Lions!

• I run 93 non ethanol in everything that I own, even the lawn mower. It just might surprise you how much better the engine will run with 93 rather than 89 and you just may get better gas mileage. Yes, with the computer controlled injection. Do not believe everything your government tells you about gasoline either.

I only know of 1 place to get non ethanol gas and that's 50 miles away in NH. And it costs 4.50+- a gal.

• Just because the Slingshot motor is the same motor that is run in other vehicles that only call for lower grades of gasoline doesn't really mean much - - the tune of the engine is a much bigger factor I suspect

Sure I could probably get away with running 87 octane, but why would I want to when the manufacture says my motor has been tuned for a minimum of 91? - - seems to me that I am pretty much guaranteed to lose a little performance as the ECM adjusts things to compensate for the lower octane - - - for a cost of less than $2 a tank why wouldn't I want the best the factory NA tune gan give me?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Boaters use the non ethanol around here so the price is very high. I use it in my boats and in my emergency generator as they sit for long periods of time. My Slingshot gets run nearly everyday.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• My Harley has never had ethanol gas left in it at least not much. The reason it would not crank 2 weeks ago is just the use of the ethanol gas. The in tank fuel line is as hard as a rock and will break and the pump is trash. This is the reason I "DO NOT" run ethanol gas unless I have to. We are waiting on the parts to fix it. IT IS FOR SALE 2013 Harley Softail Slim - 20,000 miles - fully serviced - and still looks like brand new. For those that do go to Maggie Valley there is NON Ethanol 93 in Maggie Valley.