Where Did You Take Your Slingshot Today?

• My Harley has never had ethanol gas left in it at least not much. The reason it would not crank 2 weeks ago is just the use of the ethanol gas. The in tank fuel line is as hard as a rock and will break and the pump is trash. This is the reason I "DO NOT" run ethanol gas unless I have to. We are waiting on the parts to fix it. IT IS FOR SALE 2013 Harley Softail Slim - 20,000 miles - fully serviced - and still looks like brand new. For those that do go to Maggie Valley there is NON Ethanol 93 in Maggie Valley.

FunCycle Where is the station with the NON Ethanol 93 in Maggie Valley?

• EjFord about half way between the Comfort Inn and the exit to Waynesville. I forget the name but the red station with the American flag flying over it.

I think I found it.

Quality Plus - UNBRANDED
    3185 Us Hwy 19, Maggie Valley NC
    828-926-8188
    Ethanol-free octane ratings: 93
    GPS coordinates: N 35.52333 W 83.01911

• Unbranded gas station - 3185 Dellwood - Waynesville is station you guys are referring to -the Ingles Market by interstate has no ethanol also. You guys know I live in MV now right :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Just because the Slingshot motor is the same motor that is run in other vehicles that only call for lower grades of gasoline doesn't really mean much - - the tune of the engine is a much bigger factor I suspect

Sure I could probably get away with running 87 octane, but why would I want to when the manufacture says my motor has been tuned for a minimum of 91? - - seems to me that I am pretty much guaranteed to lose a little performance as the ECM adjusts things to compensate for the lower octane - - - for a cost of less than $2 a tank why wouldn't I want the best the factory NA tune gan give me?

It never occurred to me as my 2015 5 liter F150 actually recommends 87 octane. Although I always use 89. I assumed the slingshot as the same. You are correct it does recommend 91. Have been running 89. At this point with the supercharger it will be at least 91.

• It never occurred to me as my 2015 5 liter F150 actually recommends 87 octane. Although I always use 89. I assumed the slingshot as the same. You are correct it does recommend 91. Have been running 89. At this point with the supercharger it will be at least 91.

I had a 2000 V8 F150 step side and it also recommended 87 octane. I bought one of those plug in reprograming devices to get better performance out of it and the instructions for it made it very clear that after the reprograming 91 or better yet 93 octane was required

more advanced timing can make more power, but if the octane is not high enough it can also cause pre ignition/ knock

if a tune is designed for high octane gas and you use 87 this can cause pre ignition / knock and when the sensors detect this pre ignition / knock the ECM will retard the timing to protect the motor and this will lead to a loss of performance

personally I don't know if the tune in my stock slingshot is sensitive enough so that 87 octane would cause the ecm to retard the timing and I see no reason to test it

I suspect that a person could take a motor that ran perfectly on 87 octane and make no changes to it other than the tune and adjust that tune to the point where running 87 could actually cause permeant damage to that motor if the ECM was not designed to be able to readjust the timing

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Agreed, typically on an internal combustion engine ignition happens a little bit BTDC. (Before top dead center) on the compression stroke when both the intake & exhaust valves are closed. This is because the ignition and combustion process needs time to expand efficiency before forcing the piston down. My days of working on internal combustion engines ended in the late 80's before all this new fangled electric stuff came into play. I go back to using timing lights, feeler gauges and adjusting the plate (motorcycles).

• yep, a new rider at a light was a sitting duck.

Was taking flight lessons back in the 1966's and in take off in hour 8 my instructor turned off the gas.....the "cooling fan" up front stopped turning and NOW what do you do? Look for a place to land... and than figure out what wrong.... took me a minute or so to figure out we were out of gas... the level between the seats in the Cessna 150 I was in.