State Farm in VA

• Gents,

Is anyone using StateFarm to insure their Slingshot in Virginia? My agent is saying they are going to change the Slingshot from Motorcycle to Automobile and almost double the cost of coverage. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I use State Farm in Indiana. Full coverage with $1000 deductible runs just $312 a year. Haven't heard anything from my agent about any change.

The Slingshots classification changes per state. Some states it is a motorcycle, others an autocycle, and etc....So, I need info from members specifically in Virginia as the policy changes to the classification.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

You are going to start seeing this in all "Autocycle" states .... why wouldn't they take the opportunity to raise your rates to the same level as a car when your state has made it legal for anyone with a regular drivers licence to jump in and ride ...

I'll use my usual "16 year old with the ink still wet on their licence" as an example ....

Then just a matter of time before the number of accidents grows because anyone can ride without taking extra steps or training to do so ....

Next will be that it is "high risk" as compared to the typical car because it has no safety equipment ...

I have been saying since the fist state changed its category that this will be the next big hurdle for the Slingshot .....

IMO those who wanted it, or are calling for a national Autocycle classification, are taking a very narrow view without considering its broader implications ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• In Indiana is it licensed as a motorcycle, but designated as an autocycle. Must adhere to motorcycle laws, but motorcycle endorsement is not needed. only operators license. Also must wear seat belt. The only reason I answered you is that I have State farm also, and if it's changing for VA, likely would here too. That and I'll be following this as it may well affect me. Only trying to help.

• I also use State Farm and when I added the sling in 12/15 my agent in Culpeper loved it but it wasn't even in his computer yet. He wrote it as a motorcycle, which had to be a separate policy from my car so no additional bundling discount like I get with the home/car. I pay $465 for full coverage annual premium ending 12/19. $100 deductible. In checking my policy just now I see the body style listed as "sprt trg", whatever the hell that means. Face time NLT Monday with my agent to see what is up.
    Suddenly occurred to me that body style is sport touring.

• Gents,

Is anyone using StateFarm to insure their Slingshot in Virginia? My agent is saying they are going to change the Slingshot from Motorcycle to Automobile and almost double the cost of coverage. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

We have State Farm for the house, both cars, and the Sling. We haven't heard anything (thus far) at the Beach. Keeping my eye on this issue. Might just give our Agent a call.