New SS news?

• [quote='rabtech','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/1441-new-ss-news/&postID=277724#post277724']

Better yet, did you notice that the Ecotec is no longer the engine for the Slingshot? It's going to be nice finding out just what's inside for power

I didn't see that. I saw an ecotec with a set of headers that wont fit the slingshot.

[/quote]

Hummm...smaller footwell for the passenger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Just watched the presentation video and they made a point to have the engine and exhaust rev at the end. Did not sound like the current setup in my opinion.

As for my comments regarding two engines I was referring to one engine with two setups. NA and a boasted derivative.

As for the Spyder and SlingShot comparison I agree they are not the same only that these are the two manufacturers that have gambled in this new segment. Each taking a different approach.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I didn't see that. I saw an ecotec with a set of headers that wont fit the slingshot.

I have bad eyesight but that engine doesn't look like the 2.4 in my machine.

Definitely looks smaller, but again I have very bad eyes and semi color blind so I could be wrong.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• If Polaris couldn't keep them on the show room floor and they had back orders out the wahzoo than yeah you would see other manufactures entering the market. To the Spider question there was another manufacturer that got into the game.... Polaris with he SlingShot. To thier credit took a different approach.

Did anyone notice the headers. Not a Turbo setup. One as to assume we will see two engine variations if the turbo rumor is to be believed. Now it is possible they are going the S/C route and this would not be seen in the teaser image.

Well I recently visited a large dealership in Richmond where they had a huge selection of off-road vehicles and guess what, polaris has competition (Honda, yamaha amongst others etc) and something tells me those off-road units are not flying off the dealerships floors either. Here is yamaha's entry.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.…801-1462258587.1564527801 and Honda is deep in the off-road side by side business as well. I know since I sat in both the yamaha and honda offerings.

So it baffles me as to why Honda and Yamaha hasn't put out an autocycle by now. Especially Honda because they have their own car engine plants and could easily have the best autocycle on the market both in performance and at least matching in looks to the slingshot. Yamaha bike designs have been some of the best cutting-edge stuff out there for decades. Just think what they could come up with for an autocycle.

Either company could literally corner the autocyle market with their brand-name alone. Polaris should count their blessings that they haven't......yet.

• I think it will be interesting with all those updates/upgrades to see what the price jumps to. The regular MC business is suffering because they are priced way too high for the younger folks (the ones mentioned in the video I.E. non core) to afford.... Anyways...

This is why the used slingshot business is thriving. I have a buddy who owns a used motorcycle dealership and constantly buys and sells used slingshots. At $15-17k it is very tempting for the young crowd to pick one up instead of a shiny new crotch rocket.

• Actually, Cam Am has its own competitor for the Spyder and it's the Ryker. It starts at just over half the cost of a Base Spyder and the larger-engined Ryker is probably the most cost-effective performance 3-wheeler available, but the Ryker line initially only seated one. Glad to see they now offer passenger seats, too.

• Any change in headlights should be an improvement for nighttime vision.

The stock bulbs on my '17 reminded me of the old days driving my '74 Javelin.

Changed my bulbs to HID within the first 2 weeks.

The new headlight design will put a dent in aftermarket LED accessories. Halos will look a bit strange on those.

• Actually, Cam Am has its own competitor for the Spyder and it's the Ryker. It starts at just over half the cost of a Base Spyder and the larger-engined Ryker is probably the most cost-effective performance 3-wheeler available, but the Ryker line initially only seated one. Glad to see they now offer passenger seats, too.

I agree, Can-AM created their own low end model. It is like buying a Sportster 883 or better yet a Harley Street 500 or 750. Yes you get a bike at a discounted price with the name, but it is just so maybe you will buy the real thing later. I thought the competition would be something like the Carver (went out of business), the Morgan, even maybe the Elio. I had hope for the Niken from Yamaha but it also has not taken off. Don't forget about the Honda Neowing (possible release 2020) all of which will be competitors for Can-Am, but not for Polaris (in my opinion). If you want to get really into a cash cow... the Scorpion will do that for you (it sounds like an F1 race car), or the Vanderhall, Campagna T-Rex, my favorite (side by side seating).. I could go on but ..... :)

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I agree, Can-AM created their own low end model. It is like buying a Sportster 883 or better yet a Harley Street 500 or 750. Yes you get a bike at a discounted price with the name, but it is just so maybe you will buy the real thing later. I thought the competition would be something like the Carver (went out of business), the Morgan, even maybe the Elio. I had hope for the Niken from Yamaha but it also has not taken off. Don't forget about the Honda Neowing (possible release 2020) all of which will be competitors for Can-Am, but not for Polaris (in my opinion). If you want to get really into a cash cow... the Scorpion will do that for you (it sounds like an F1 race car), or the Vanderhall, Campagna T-Rex, my favorite (side by side seating).. I could go on but ..... :)

Unfortunately there is a narrow sweet spot when it comes to pricing for the autocycle niche, go to high in price like the T-rex then you box yourself into the corner and go bankrupt (campagna is no more). Vanderhall and Polaris got it right for pricing ($21k-$40k) and design for what they offer where as failures like Tanom motors which had the dumbest business model imaginable (strip down retail motorcycles just to get an engine, really?) fall by the wayside.

Companies like Morgan dip their toes in the autocycle waters but never go in fully (they just cancelled an electric version due to supplies) and continue to milk their nostalgic offering from the past. I love my slingshot but I really hope some big names offer up their solutions soon. My next autocycle will be the electric vanderhall because I love electric and it's perfect for the country-side joyride.

I am still baffled by Honda, of all the motorcycle makers out there they have the infrastructure to crush it in the autocycle world. They have decades of car-design and motorcycle manufactoring experience and all the car/motorcycle resources you could hope for and yet they haven't bothered with the autocycle design. Crazy!

• I don’t think we want them introducing and selling something new as an actual autocycle. The more they push that designation the more regulations they will want to issue as far as safety and required equipment. If they force them to do crash tests and air bags and crumple zones....the higher the price tag....pretty soon it will be a car without a windshield which they will never allow, and that will be the end of our type of vehicle. They will categorize it right out of existence.

• I don’t think we want them introducing and selling something new as an actual autocycle. The more they push that designation the more regulations they will want to issue as far as safety and required equipment. If they force them to do crash tests and air bags and crumple zones....the higher the price tag....pretty soon it will be a car without a windshield which they will never allow, and that will be the end of our type of vehicle. They will categorize it right out of existence.

I have to say that I agree with this - from a federal point of view keeping future Slingshots classified as motorcycles is the only way they will remain the type of vehicle we all love. Please read this, it is the text of the proposed federal autocycle bill and it contains the requirements that would have to be met to be federally classified as an "autocycle" if that bill is ever passed - - H.R. 2381

I suspect if you read that you will agree that you do want our slingshots to have to meet the requirements of that bill - much better that they simply remain federally thought of as motorcycles

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Now this confuses me Bigdog . The autocycle designation was created for 3 wheel vehicles without a straddle seat and handlebars. How does additional entries into the autocycle market change that designation to include safety equipment applied only to automobiles???

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• [quote='neostar','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/1441-new-ss-news/&postID=277875#post277875']

I agree, Can-AM created their own low end model. It is like buying a Sportster 883 or better yet a Harley Street 500 or 750. Yes you get a bike at a discounted price with the name, but it is just so maybe you will buy the real thing later. I thought the competition would be something like the Carver (went out of business), the Morgan, even maybe the Elio. I had hope for the Niken from Yamaha but it also has not taken off. Don't forget about the Honda Neowing (possible release 2020) all of which will be competitors for Can-Am, but not for Polaris (in my opinion). If you want to get really into a cash cow... the Scorpion will do that for you (it sounds like an F1 race car), or the Vanderhall, Campagna T-Rex, my favorite (side by side seating).. I could go on but ..... :)

Unfortunately there is a narrow sweet spot when it comes to pricing for the autocycle niche, go to high in price like the T-rex then you box yourself into the corner and go bankrupt (campagna is no more). Vanderhall and Polaris got it right for pricing ($21k-$40k) and design for what they offer where as failures like Tanom motors which had the dumbest business model imaginable (strip down retail motorcycles just to get an engine, really?) fall by the wayside.

Companies like Morgan dip their toes in the autocycle waters but never go in fully (they just cancelled an electric version due to supplies) and continue to milk their nostalgic offering from the past. I love my slingshot but I really hope some big names offer up their solutions soon. My next autocycle will be the electric vanderhall because I love electric and it's perfect for the country-side joyride.

I am still baffled by Honda, of all the motorcycle makers out there they have the infrastructure to crush it in the autocycle world. They have decades of car-design and motorcycle manufactoring experience and all the car/motorcycle resources you could hope for and yet they haven't bothered with the autocycle design. Crazy!

[/quote]

Honda was burnt back in 70-80s with the Big Red three wheelers and swore they would never touch it again. The Goldwing community was begging for a Factory Honda trike. Nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro