• I was washing SS today and leaned against tire with hood up. Heard a click. Shook wheel hard and noticed play in upper ball joint. Got jack lifted and noticed some play. Ok first stupid question there shouldnt be any play in the ball joints correct. And is there a replacement out of a different vehicle. I got 4900 miles so I'm pretty sure will be a warranty item. But first problem is called dealer today and can't get me in for a month. I'd rather take care of it myself. They can't be that hard to change. Worst case I will order from Polaris. But that could take who knows how long. I hope I can run to auto parts store and get them.

• You are correct, there should be no play. But, I don't have a friggin' clue about possible cross reference from another vehicle.

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• Nope everything tight. Both sides uppers have play in them. Will have to order some Monday and hope for the best on getting them from Polaris. This sucks but what you going to do. I've been lucky so far no major problems. Oh yea for those of you looking for a cool light the Eastwood light that tripod posted in cool tool thread I got a while back it hooks to the hood nicely and has foam on the ends and is great for working under the hood.

• They are sealed. I've got a ford f350 with 160,000 miles and only have changed those ball joints twice and they carry a ton more weight with the diesel engine and the towing abuse. There's no reason these should be worn out but hey it is what it is. I'm still going to drive it like I stole it. These must have recently went bad. I remember a member on here having issues with his and I checked mine like 2 months ago. They were fine then. Should I wait and have them done with my 5000 mile service. Or should I even bother with my 5000 mile service and just swap them out myself.

• I would first get a warranty claim in through your dealer and get replacements coming from Polaris, this costs you nothing but your time. If in the meantime you find replacements on your own you could elect to change them out yourself for safety's sake. Be sure to come back here and post if you find replacements.

I believe @Tango and @Cameron Roberts are waiting for ball joint replacements. Maybe they could chime in.

• It's not pretty when ball joints completely separate. At the minimum this usually results in tie rod damage,and damage to the body as well as under carriage. IMHO if I was going to "drive it like I stole it" I would want them replaced first regardless of who was paying for it or doing the actual work. Maybe you could convince the dealership this is a matter of safety not of scheduling. Good luck and let us know how this pans out please.

• They are sealed. I've got a ford f350 with 160,000 miles and only have changed those ball joints twice and they carry a ton more weight with the diesel engine and the towing abuse. There's no reason these should be worn out but hey it is what it is. I'm still going to drive it like I stole it. These must have recently went bad. I remember a member on here having issues with his and I checked mine like 2 months ago. They were fine then. Should I wait and have them done with my 5000 mile service. Or should I even bother with my 5000 mile service and just swap them out myself.

I wonder if the folks at DDMWorks might know of a possible cross reference or perhaps Henry at Alpha

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• Yep just found them. Ordered from babbits. Will have them by Wednesday. I know some of you will say screw that Polaris should warranty this I agree. But for 108 shipped and a afternoon of my time they will be changed. I feel its a small price to pay to keep riding and not be inconvenienced any more than I already am because of them going bad. Thanks wrenchmn for the help. I will post what its like to change them I don't think anyone has changed there own yet.

• I don't understand why the uppers go bad and not the lowers. Or do you think its just matter of time. Is there more force or weird torc angle on the uppers than lowers. I had it up on the jack earlier. I wedged a long piece of wood in the rim and pride on it and the bottoms of both no movement. But there's definite movement in the uppers the driver side is worse. OK enough pissing and moaning. Its like spilled milk you clean it up and pour yourself another glass. This to will get fixed and then in another couple weeks I will be crying about the next problem. :)

• I don't understand why the uppers go bad and not the lowers. Or do you think its just matter of time. Is there more force or weird torc angle on the uppers than lowers. I had it up on the jack earlier. I wedged a long piece of wood in the rim and pride on it and the bottoms of both no movement. But there's definite movement in the uppers the driver side is worse. OK enough pissing and moaning. Its like spilled milk you clean it up and pour yourself another glass. This to will get fixed and then in another couple weeks I will be crying about the next problem. :)

I think it's simply a matter of QUALITY!!!! More than likely Polaris sourced them from a chinese manufacturer that used materials of lesser quality than the high end manufacturers would've used. Key wear components are probably quite soft, and IF any grease was even applied during the manufacturing process, it was probably very little, and or low quality as well. Not sure if a zerk would've even helped extend the life. Low quality products are like stupid people.....they can't be fixed!!!! It would be nice to cross reference these and source high quality replacements made by known high quality manufacturers.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• The dealer is replacing ball joints on three of the slings here in Virginia under warranty. Two slings are 2015's and one is a 2016.

So it should be covered under warranty.

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84