New Jeep Wrangler Truck - test mule!

• MACAWS I'm struggling with the old problem of what I want and what I need. I will be towing the 20' trailer with the sling, equipment and inventory maybe 5-6 times a year in the future. Texas being the longest pull. I want be pushing the max tow rating but the question really is how well will it do it. Currently the Cayenne is doing just fine but 215,000 miles gets your worried. The V8 and tranny have no problem with hills but again it's a strong V8. Will the 3.6L do the job? Do I hold out until next year and suck up the cost and go for the 3.0L diesel? Will it pull so much better to justify the higher fuel and maintenance cost. They have had issues with the Ram 1500s diesel so have these issues been resolved as well. First World Problems for sure.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• MACAWS I'm struggling with the old problem of what I want and what I need. I will be towing the 20' trailer with the sling, equipment and inventory maybe 5-6 times a year in the future. Texas being the longest pull. I want be pushing the max tow rating but the question really is how well will it do it. Currently the Cayenne is doing just fine but 215,000 miles gets your worried. The V8 and tranny have no problem with hills but again it's a strong V8. Will the 3.6L do the job? Do I hold out until next year and suck up the cost and go for the 3.0L diesel? Will it pull so much better to justify the higher fuel and maintenance cost. They have had issues with the Ram 1500s diesel so have these issues been resolved as well. First World Problems for sure.

I was dreaming about the truck I would like to own.

My 2500HD is a great truck for towing. Big Red has never let me down. V8 - 6.0

But all my towing is for pleasure so I am in now way suggesting what you should do!

Just truck talk

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

You and I sir are having the same mental debate. The new Ram Rebel is looking better and better to me. They are running amazing specials on the Ram right now as the 2020s are coming in. My older son and I REALLY wanted the Gladiator for the fun factor. But, Jeep has priced a mid size truck in full size truck territory. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• It's because they know people will buy it. My last truck was one of the first ecoboost f150's with the twin turbo. I was very skeptical at first about it, but after driving with it, and towing, I was very surprised at it.

Would I want to tow with it 100% of the time, no, that's what a dually is for, and what I have now, but would it work for a few times a year, depending on the load, sure, and look great doing it at the same time.

My guess is that is what the Gladiator will do.

• RD
    I enjoy the 3.0 ED in my ram and hoping the new version will be improved for better QC. It’s a must to get a GDE tune in this motor to keep it clean running and wake it up to safe levels. I can get 30 mpg on interstate if I can hold it back to 55 mph. This is a full size 4x4 crewcab truck. Towing my trailer is no problem and again does great in the mpg arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I would get the Gladiator...You know yourself. If you don't, you will never be happy.

I have a 2WD F150 STX with the 3.5 Twin Turbo Eco Boost. With the controller, Exhaust, and Intake I added, it makes over 500 HP and 510 Lbs of TQ. Ford rates the truck's towing capability at 13,000 lbs. Not bad for a half-ton that cost $34,000.

With the 10 speed transmission and the HP, I can embarrass the H*ll out of some "Fast" cars.

• So... Just got to hook up a 2020 Rubicon Gladiator to my fully loaded (not unloaded from Maggie Valley) 20' trailer. 3500lbs + 1700 sling and maybe 500lbs of inventory and gear. So let's say 6000lbs just to stay safe.

(1) Rubicon springs are way softer than required for towing

(2) it can pull fine but does hunt a lot for gears and kicks down with the 3.6L V6 pentastar.

(3) pulled up a very long North GA Hill and it can do it but does stay up on the RPMs to keep at 55-60mph.

If I can afford it I believe the V6 Diesel will be the better choice. The 2004 Cayenne with the 400hp Motor actually feels stronger pulling but the stability of the truck is better... On the fence unfortunately. Hope the Sport S model with Max tow option and the Diesel work better.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• That's what I was afraid off too. I have a very similar setup (8.5x24 cargo trailer) and the Gladiator just couldn't tow it. When the first announced the Gladiator, it was supposed to have ~8500lb tow capacity - just barely enough for my rig. But when it came out with ~7500, it was just too far off to be a contender. I had to call off my order (yes, I was on that first day list) because of it. My 6.2L Silverado does just fine (although it's boring as F! and I can barely pick it out of a parking lot).

• That's what I was afraid off too. I have a very similar setup (8.5x24 cargo trailer) and the Gladiator just couldn't tow it. When the first announced the Gladiator, it was supposed to have ~8500lb tow capacity - just barely enough for my rig. But when it came out with ~7500, it was just too far off to be a contender. I had to call off my order (yes, I was on that first day list) because of it. My 6.2L Silverado does just fine (although it's boring as F! and I can barely pick it out of a parking lot).

But see.... My regular job is designing accessories for the damn thing. I love it already for what it is. I'm having to think about how often I will tow with it and if that's OK. It want be used to make a living towing but will be used to make a living thinking shit up for it. Best way to do that is to own one.... Just need to see what the freaking upcharge is going to be for the Diesel.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I have the diesel in my ram and love it. They have had issues with the motor but so far pulling my 22’ enclosed with a load can get 15 mpg and on the big road getting 28 at moderate speeds.
    Patrick did you read the article on the Gladiator with the Hellcat motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• I have the diesel in my ram and love it. They have had issues with the motor but so far pulling my 22’ enclosed with a load can get 15 mpg and on the big road getting 28 at moderate speeds.
    Patrick did you read the article on the Gladiator with the Hellcat motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes but that's not gonna happen. They are going to make a Ram Raptor fighter with the Hellcat. You will see a new inline 6 in a few years to replace the 3.6L Pentastar. It's will have the HP and Torque of V8..

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• With all the "negative" aspect in relation to a normal truck..... Please show me one other "Truck" that can do this! Loven it!!!!

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Tube doors are our new design as are the mesh covers and the Eclipse sun shade.

There is also this ability that no other truck can do... :)

(Slingshot Owners Group)