Good reading about the ECOTEC 2.4 L9 ENGINE

• 2010 Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT ( LE9 )
    Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT (LE9) CAR AND TRUCK ENGINE
    2010 Model Year Summary

New E85 Flex Fuel engine (RPO) for Chevrolet Malibu.

New Engine Application for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu.
    The Ecotec 2.4L VVT (LE9) powers the Chevrolet Malibu and is mated with the Hydra-Matic 4T45E MN5 4 speed or the 6T40 MH8 6speed FWD automatic transmission.

Carryover Features and Benefits from 2009 model year ( LE5 ). The LE9 is an E85 Variant of the 2.4L I-4 VVT ( LE5 )

Optimized Piston Skirt
    Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT pistons have been redesigned with a slightly different profile. The piston skirt has been optimized with a slight barrel shape, helping to smooth its glide through the cylinder bore and reduce lateral movement. The new pistons reduce operational noise, particularly during cold starts, and enhance overall smoothness.

Vented Starter Solenoid
    A new starter solenoid helps ensure starting performance in extreme cold temperatures. The solenoid case now has a micromesh-covered vent and an O-ring between the case and the starter motor. The mesh protects the solenoid from debris particles but prevents moisture buildup in the case. When the Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT is warm, any moisture on the solenoid evaporates through the vent. The vented solenoid virtually eliminates the possibility of cold-start problems associated with solenoid icing.

Eliminate External Oil Cooler
    The Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT is no longer fitted with an external oil cooler. Validation tests have demonstrated that, with durability enhancing features such as increased coolant capacity and targeted oil jets that cool the underside of the pistons, the oil cooler is not required even during extreme operating conditions. Deleting the cooler eliminates a potential leak source and reduces complexity and cost of ownership.

E85 Flexible-Fuel Capability (LE9)
    GM has led the industry in introducing flex-fuel capability to its cars and trucks, and the new flex-fuel 2.2L I-4 VVT ( LE8 ) extends availability to an even broader range of customers. E85 is a clean-burning alternative fuel made in the United States from corn and other crops, composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. The 2.2L's flex-fuel technology is both sophisticated and durable.

Flex fuel engines require special valves and valve seats to withstand the wear and corrosive effects of ethanol. The nitrided Silcrome 1 intake valves and 21-43 exhaust valves used in the 2.2L I-4 are up to the challenge. Compared to conventional iron-alloy valve material, nitrided Silcrome 1 includes tungsten, vanadium, manganese, silicone and higher chromium content. It is harder, and it improves durability, even under the rigors of ethanol operation. The 21-43 exhaust valves work equally well. Valve seat inserts have been upgraded to premium materials with a high percent of tool steel and solid lubricants resulting in excellent durability whether E85 or gasoline is run in the engine.

Hardware changes for flex-fuel operation are limited to the injectors. Because ethanol has fewer BTUs (less energy) than the same volume of gasoline, more fuel is required to produce the same horsepower at wide-open throttle. Flex fuel engines use unique stainless injectors with a greater cone angle and higher maximum fuel-flow rate. The fuel rail matches the injectors, but it's manufactured of the same stainless steel used for all 2.2L I-4 fuel rails.

The flex-fuel 2.2L doesn't require a special fuel sensor. The first flex-fuel engines used a light-reactive sensor to measure fuel composition from 100 percent gasoline to 85 percent ethanol. The 2.2L has a virtual sensor-software programmed in the E37 ECM with no separate physical sensor whatsoever. Based on readings from the oxygen (O2) sensors, fuel level sensor and vehicle speed sensors, the ECM adjusts the length of time the fuel injectors open for the type of fuel used. Within a few miles after filling up, the E37 controller determines what fuel is powering the 2.2L I-4 and manages the engine accordingly.

E85 fuel provides an environmentally friendly companion or alternative to gasoline. It is biodegradable and doesn't contaminate the water supply. Ethanol can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste, and even municipal waste.

Overview
    The 2.4L I-4 VVT was the third North American engine in GM's innovative line of Ecotec four-cylinders, and the largest displacement Ecotec to date. It was introduced for model year 2006 in several cars and trucks, including the Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Cobalt, Saturn ION, Pontiac G6 and Pontiac Solstice.

The 2.4L VVT's roots date to 2000 and launch of the Ecotec 2.2L (RPO L61). Often referred to as the global four cylinders, the Ecotecs harness GM's global design and engineering capability by applying the best practices of technical centers in Europe and North America. The Ecotec 2.2L created a blueprint for subsequent global powertrain development, and such engines as GM's global V-6 VVT. It also laid the foundation for a line of engines that share core components with minimal casting changes, yet deliver unique performance and market characteristics with a range of displacements, turbocharging, supercharging and front-, rear- and all-wheel drive applications in both cars and trucks.

Displacement in the Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT was increased to 2,384 cubic centimeters by increasing bore and stroke to 88 mm and 98 mm, respectively, compared to 86 mm and 94.6 mm in the Ecotec 2.2L. The 2.4L VVT introduced a Gen II engine block that strengthened the block bulkheads to improve both durability and vibration control, without significantly increasing mass. The 2.4L VVT uses forged C70 steel connecting rods that are shorter than those in the 2.2L with a stroked cast nodular iron crankshaft. The 2.4L increases horsepower at least 20 percent compared to all 2.2L applications, yet it is only 13.2 pounds heavier than the 2.2L (which is the lightest four-cylinder GM has produced, and one of the most compact anywhere).

The 2.4L also introduced cam phasing to the Ecotec line in North America. Cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. It allows an outstanding balance of smooth torque delivery over a broad rpm range, higher specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) and lower specific fuel consumption. Cam phasing also provides another effective tool for controlling exhaust emissions.

Like all Ecotec engines, the 2.4L I-4 VVT has undergone the toughest and most comprehensive validation process in GM history, passing all of the dynamometer and vehicle tests traditionally run by various GM organizations worldwide. Validation included extensive dynamometer testing and millions of miles of real-world road testing in an extreme range of climates.

The 2.4L I-4 VVT features durability enhancements and technology familiar in premium V-type engines, including low-friction hydraulic roller finger valve operation and electronic "drive-by-wire" throttle in all applications. A hydraulic tensioner keeps the timing chain adjusted for life, and extended-life spark plugs deliver 100,000 miles of service. Routine maintenance is limited to oil and filter changes, and even those are made as easy as possible with a paper filter replacement cartridge and GM's industry-leading Oil Life Monitoring System, which determines oil-change intervals according to real-world operation rather than a predetermined mileage interval. Every engine in the Ecotec line has aluminum-intensive construction and:

- Dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder
    - Twin counter-rotating balance shafts to cancel the second-order vibration typical in four-cylinder inline engines
    - Direct mounting of accessories like the alternator and compressor to eliminate common sources of noise, vibration and harshness
    - Full circle transmission attachment and a structural oil
    pan that bolts to both the engine block and transmission
    bell housing.

For all its design and production efficiencies and multitude of applications, the Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT succeeds for one reason. It's a world-class four cylinder engine that delivers excellent performance without sacrificing durability, economy or smooth, quiet operation.

The Ecotec 2.4L VVT is built at GM's Spring Hill, Tenn., Engine Manufacturing facility.