Draining and filling the final drive ...

• Well, when I set it at .7 inches and then have it check at .5 inches, what would you call it? The only thing that makes sense for me is that I had originally set it during winter temps? Though the main point is still that the tightness of the belt does relate to how noisy it can be!

Bill

@wjfyfe, Bill, something else to look at is make sure your ride height on your swing arm is still where you want it. If you have stock coil overs the spring could have collapsed. If you have aftermarket make sure the adjuster is not loose.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• OK, 102 degrees and the belt deflection is now .6", not as much difference as I would of expected, though thinking about it if the belt had been set at the recommended .63" deflection, this would have made it .23" hot?
    now it will interesting to see what happens as the OAT cools down, say around freezing?

Maybe check how much difference weight makes next time?

• I found on my sling that the tension bolt is too tight at 40 ft lbs. I reduced torque on that bolt to 10 ft lbs and am seeing much less belt creep. I will probably reduce the torque further, after I get more miles on this setting. Seems that with the torque so high on that bolt, it just draws the belt tighter as we drive.

• Just a lil note that with our belt adjusted cold at 1" deflection, after riding at 75 degrees OAT the belt tightened to .8 inches. Maybe later today I can measure it again after riding nearer to 100 degrees and see how much difference that will make?

Bill

I have concerns about temperature as well. It isn't uncommon here for temps to swing 30-40 degrees in a day. I guess I should just check on a 'moderate temp' day and call it good. Should I be retensioning the belt for seasonal driving? I ride about 10 months out of the year: 20-degree driving isn't uncommon for me in December and January, 90+ riding is common in the summer months.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Should I be retensioning the belt for seasonal driving? I ride about 10 months out of the year: 20-degree driving isn't uncommon for me in December and January, 90+ riding is common in the summer months.

It has been our experience that as the temps drop below freezing the belt may squeal a little starting out, but after a few miles and the belt warming up it typically quiets down.

Bill

• I have never tensioned my belt. Sometimes i will take the toe of my shoe and bump it. But that is the only check i do.

One thing you have to remember is how much sag is in the rear spring. The lower the back end is the tighter the belt is getting. Adding weight to the rear would be far more stressing to the belt than any temp swing would be.

The reason I know this is because i let my spring tension down on my qa1 shocks so that it would ride softer. I did my "kick the belt with my toe" check and it was banjo string tight.

• I never had the issue if it getting tighter but mine got really loose. I was getting a metal like squall sound when taking off. I was thinking crap bearing but after a quick inspection I noticed the belt had been rubbing the frame at the bottom. So quick video search I found a step by step video on how to tighten the belt. Even bought that fancy took to measures the deflection.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing: