Hydroplaning is real

• @Thomas Sleight....so glad you are Ok!!! Like we always say....the Sling can be fixed or replaced, but people.....not so much!!!
    It's also awesome to hear about how quickly fellow Slingers jump to the call and offer help!!! I just posted in another thread discussing some kind of "Man Down" network, and this would be a perfect example of having it available to anyone in need!!! (Our very own "little Black Book of Slingshot Contacts") We all have cell phones these days, so we could have this info with us where ever we are and need help, or just want to meet up.
    I'll be happy to share my contact info with anyone who wants to build their own little black book....just PM me or email me: roadog1aj@yahoo.com
    Again....super glad you're Ok Brother!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Monday came back to Northern Indiana from South Carolina -- 200 miles of expressway in the rain. Slowed to about 65 and have new Nitto 555 all seem to go well. I have had some minor hydroplaning -- with OEM tires and think the Nitto's will be better. We also need to slow down some --- That's HARD for me...but got to do it.

• @EjFord I had Nitto 555 when I hydroplaned and totalled my Sling. I also had them when I was caught in a extremely heavy rain storm on the way back from M.V. and they didn't slip at all. The only thing I can say is be extremely cautious when it's wet regardless of the tire you have. It's a game of Russian Roulette any time you drive on wet roads.

• I had the stock Kendas when I hydroplaned TWICE. First time I was coming back from Hahn and had my son with me. We were doing about 50mph and with NO warning the SS just went left. It was a 2 lane road and we crossed the oncoming trafic lane and went off the road into the grass. We slid about 100 feet or so and was heading right for a fence post. The whole time I had my wheels pointing right. Literally about an inch from smashing into the post, we caught traction and shot back to the right.

2nd time it happened I was heading north on I-95 in the far right lane. It just started raining so I slowed down to 40mph. Same thing....with out warning it shot off the highway, through the grass and right toward the tree line. While I was sliding right, I had my wheels pointed left. At the last minute it shot to the left just missing the trees by inches. This time I had Charlie with me. She was covered in wet grass and dirt. We pulled out of the grass and sat on the side of I-95 for about 45 minutes in pouring rain waiting for it to let up. It took almost 2 months before she would ride in my Slingshot again. Both time I had the fender on. Not sure if that contributed to it or not. Have not rode in rain with the Sumitomo tires yet. Probably will not. If there is ANY chance of rain, I drive my truck!

1st time...

2nd time...

• I personally don't have the "Otter Mod". I wonder, has anyone with it hydroplaned?

which otter mod? moving the spacers around? If so, I've only been caught in the rain once with stock tires, speeds of about 45-50, thought it handled great, only part of me that got wet was my left shoulder

• I am a friend of Frank from Frederickburg, TX who's front left tire locked when he hit a patch of water. We are planning on meeting this weekend so I will ask him the details if he hit water and then hit the brakes or if the tire locked on its own.

• Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to see you are OK. If its any help some muppet backed into my Black SL LE a few weeks ago, and the insurance company agreed to basically replace the whole of the front end, so if you need a hood, splitter and other front end parts in a lot better condition than the pictures just PM me and i'll arrange to ship them to you.

• Yes they are the Canadian headlight version but for the bulb style only, unless. If you add HID's like I did to my Canadian version, you have to do some extra wiring because they tap a ground off for the hi-beam shutter. They are not plug and play for HID's unless someone is selling a kit (I doubt). The problem is they run 4 wires from a 3 pin plug and I used the extra plug provided with my HID's to build an extra plug with a jumper ground. LED's I couldn't tell you but like I said they use a tap ground which is basically a splice off. I had to think about how to do it for a bit when suddenly a light went on. It was in the beer fridge but still a light went on.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!