Insurance non-renewal in NY State

• I received a non-renewal notice from Progressive yesterday for my Slingshot, I've had it insured with them since 2015 and I'll expire now in July. The message on the letter was "The Polaris Slingshot is used in a manner that's unacceptable to our program".

Obvious that isn't very descriptive so I called them.

They said NY State recently reclassified the Slingshot as a Car, so Progressive will only insure it as a car in NY State. Unfortunately, Progressive's internal systems haven't been updated yet so they can't book it in their systems as a car either!

What makes things weirder is last week I received my motorcycle registration renewal from NY State!

Is anyone in NY dealing with a similar problem?

It seems implausible that a state can reclassify a vehicle that was sold and registered as a Motorcycle in 2015 and states the same on it's VIN plate.

Even when states went to "Autocycle" the Federal DOT still doesn't classify them as a car.

The only thing I can find is that in March of '22 the NY State Senate passed S7849 that did away with the need for a motorcycle endorsement to operate the Slingshot. Can't find anything changing it's registration status. Methinks somebody is blowing smoke up your arse.

.......... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Maine reclassified my 2015 last year as an autocycle.

• The only thing I can find is that in March of '22 the NY State Senate passed S7849 that did away with the need for a motorcycle endorsement to operate the Slingshot. Can't find anything changing it's registration status. Methinks somebody is blowing smoke up your arse.

I received a physical notice of non-renewal from Progressive, when I called them they explained the reclassification as to why, so this is indeed happening.

Which still falls within the Federal DOT guidelines for a motorcycle ..... very different than those of a car.

I believe whomever he spoke to was referring to the state dropping the motorcycle endorsement which caused rates to go up and companies to deny coverage in some other states becasue anyone could operate the Slingshot with just a Class C license but wasn't educated enough on the change.

I could be wrong but can't find anything stating NY dropped the Autocycle registration and reclassified the Slingshot as a car, for which it does not come even close to complying with Federal DOT standards. I would like to see the NY registration language describing the change.

EDIT: Do all NY Motorcycle/Autocycle registrations still renew in April. If so what does your new registration say.

...... bored-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yep autocycle just requires a regular car license. I know NY is f'd up but this just proves it. This is like rught to carry.

• Yep autocycle just requires a regular car license. I know NY is f'd up but this just proves it. This is like rught to carry.

The 'autocycle' is for the drivers licenses only. By VIN and Federal law it's still a 'motorcycle'. Don't understand how the state can change Federal law.

if you look at the various definitions of "autocycle" they almost always start out by saying "An Autocycle is a type of motorcycle" and then go on to the description. Federally the slingshot is a motorcycle

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Indiana the Slingshot is rate for driver licenses as a 'autocycle' and I have had Progressive for several years with NO problems. Just renewed a month ago.

I know I've said it before---talk to Dan in Texas. He did much better for me than my local agent a mile down the road.

• Indiana the Slingshot is rate for driver licenses as a 'autocycle' and I have had Progressive for several years with NO problems. Just renewed a month ago.

I know I've said it before---talk to Dan in Texas. He did much better for me than my local agent a mile down the road.

EjFord - Can you give me Dan's information. I am not pleased with some recent changes my insurance co has made and I would like to see if Dan can help us here in California

• In New Jersey my Slingshot is a Autocycle tags and my Vanderhall Carmel is Motorcycle Registration & tags

that seems very odd