2021 Slingshot EXTREME Oil Consumption

• Good evening all. Just wanted to share a problem I had resolved by replacing the engine. I have a 2021 Slingshot R with 10,800 miles.

I noticed a large cloud of smoke come up in passenger foot area during a hard downshift into 3rd gear while on a highway drive. A person driving behind me said they saw smoke from behind me anytime I would really mash on the accelerator. I checked the oil level and was over 2 quarts of oil low, no oil showing on the dipstick. I found oil in the mass air flow tube that would get vertically sucked up into the throttle body with a wide open throttle body during hard acceleration.

I checked and the Polaris Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) showed a known issue with the PCV valve on 2020 models that would cause heavy oil consumption that was corrected on 2021 and new models during production. It can be verified by wrench size required to remove the PCV valve. 18mm and you’re good, 17mm and it’s the old model that should be replaced.

Scheduled appointment to drop off at dealership on a Tuesday and drove another 200 miles or so before appointment. On night drive, could smell burning oil and saw heavy smoke multiple times. Check engine light started flashing, found small town and no oil on dipstick again. Put closest oil the gas station had and drove another 35 miles home and 20 miles to dealership . Dropped off at dealership on Tuesday, check engine flashing and no oil on dipstick when arrived at dealership.

They confirmed oil consumption by Wednesday, and Polaris fix was to replace the engine. Getting engine shipped in and installed took 2 weeks. Got her back this last Wednesday and doing initial engine break in.

Please everyone make sure to check your oil levels and take in under warranty for oil consumption. Most makes will not warranty anything under 1 quart of oil consumption per 1,000 miles, but do not know what Polaris’ policy is. Engine alone would have been $12,000 plus install if out of warranty.

Hopefully someone finds this useful (sorry for wall of text)

• THANK YOU for the info. This is the first that we have heard of this and this is what the forum is here for. Helping each other and again, THANK YOU.

• got to admit I am glad I got the Chevy motor. Nothing fancy, but a proven design

edit: I also love the fact that if I do need some part for the drivetrain I am not at the mercy of the Polaris dealer - - the GM parts available from a huge number of non Polaris sources - yea!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().