• Ever since I got my 2016 Slingshot I have religiously done my oil changes and lubed the U-Joint every 5.000 miles just as the owners book says I should, but lately I have been hearing from others and in articles on the web that with todays modern engines and synthetic oils this is not necessarily the best thing to do. many articles have actually suggested it simply wastes oil. Anyway in about 700 miles I will once again be at that 5,000 mile mark and I was wondering what others here do. Do you all change it every 5,000 or do you go longer? I have been running the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and when I check the oil level I have to say the oil on the dip stick looks like I just changed it. Also every car we have owned in the same time frame as the Slingshot has had one of those oil life systems that tells us when to change the oil and even with my wife's turbo charged 4 Volvo its gone over 8,000 between oil changes.

Anyway - am I just wasting money changing every 5,000 miles on a stock NA 2016 Slingshot. or as I have always assumed is it simply cheep insurance changing it every 5,000

What say you? FunCycle and everyone else

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have put over 350,000 miles on many vehicles and have had the oil changed every 50,000 miles along with the filter. That was with the old oils we used to use I don't know how this new stuff is so been having the oil in the Jeep changed at 10,000 for the last 85,000 miles. Now the 2020 R Slingshot hasn't got enough miles for the first oil change.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. Right now I have 9 Five gallon jugs. Walmart gives coupe dollar discount I think it was/is for the 5/6 jug buy on the web. I buy the filters the same way. 2 Slingshots and 2 cars I also run Lucas gas treatment I buy it by the gallon (it is a lot cheaper) at least every 5,000 miles and have never had an injector problem. I just refill the 6 small bottles that I have.

• I have been buying this kit and change it every 5k miles as well.

Looking for a cheaper solution too :)

go to Walmart and get the 5 quart jug of mobil one and a filter - or get it from amazon - much cheaper and better oil -

• My take, It's a car engine. I currently have a BRZ that I do oil/filter changes every 8000-10,000 miles. It has 320K on it right now. Never had an issue.

the 2.4L engine recommends 7500 miles (12,000KM) between changes. My Ram with oil life monitor is similar, says change around 8-10K.

5000 miles is an old standard with older oils

• My take, It's a car engine. I currently have a BRZ that I do oil/filter changes every 8000-10,000 miles. It has 320K on it right now. Never had an issue.

the 2.4L engine recommends 7500 miles (12,000KM) between changes. My Ram with oil life monitor is similar, says change around 8-10K.

5000 miles is an old standard with older oils

But 5k is easy to remember if on even 5k increments 5,10,15,20...

• But 5k is easy to remember if on even 5k increments 5,10,15,20...

After my first oil change I missed the next 5000 by a couple of hundred miles, since then every time I change the oil I that a cell phone snapshot of the odometer every time I change the oil - this way its also very easy to remember exactly when it was last changed and also when its due

• After my first oil change I missed the next 5000 by a couple of hundred miles, since then every time I change the oil I that a cell phone snapshot of the odometer every time I change the oil - this way its also very easy to remember exactly when it was last changed and also when its due

But then you need to keep looking at your phone. I'm on the phone too much now. Sometimes I change early sometimes late.

• go to Walmart and get the 5 quart jug of mobil one and a filter - or get it from amazon - much cheaper and better oil -

Thanks for the advice!

Not shopping at Walmart, but finally found the same parts for 1/2 the price :)

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• I do oil changes on a dozen or so cars and a half dozen pieces of equipment. I just keep a notepad in the garage with a page for each one. Pretty simple to record date, mileage or hours, service performed, etc. On my equipment I write the date and hours on the oil filter with a sharpie before I install it. Then I have a quick reference when I check oil before each use. I include the date so that I know to change it each year or so regardless of hours. This helps when they sit unused for a period of time. There's no reason I couldn't do this on the cars but it's not my habit.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I do oil changes on a dozen or so cars and a half dozen pieces of equipment. I just keep a notepad in the garage with a page for each one. Pretty simple to record date, mileage or hours, service performed, etc. On my equipment I write the date and hours on the oil filter with a sharpie before I install it. Then I have a quick reference when I check oil before each use. I include the date so that I know to change it each year or so regardless of hours. This helps when they sit unused for a period of time. There's no reason I couldn't do this on the cars but it's not my habit.

I do a similar thing but I keep a maintenance log in the owners manual of each car. Don't just log oil changes, but everything - including when I added mods. Got date, mileage, etc all in 1 place. I also keep the last receipt for each type of purchase in case of warranty issues (did use it once on a battery).

• snapshot of the odometer every time I change the oil - this way its also very easy to remember exactly when it was last changed and also when its due

I get a spray bomb of yellow Krylon.......

and spray paint the mileage right on the hood of the SS!

Then I get a tatoo on my forearm of the mileage as well!!

:00002508:

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Well back to the original question:

Yes, you are probably okay to go out to the manufacturers recommendations and change every 7500 miles.

But I look at this way. I might do 2 or 3 oil changes a year. Cost $45 per change to do it myself (plus $6 for the beer). Maybe I could extend it and do 1 less oil change per year, saving me $45/yr (I still drink the $6 beer, so no savings there). That's a cheap price to pay to help extend the life of the engine.

• Hi, lots of great info! I have a sub question to or this thread.

Search didn't seem to tell me what I was asking.

My used still stock 2020 R with 3800 miles was taken in in trade for an atv. They said they would change oil, filter and check fluids when I bought it. The screen shows that oil change isn't due for another 5000.

The owners manual says 5w-50 oil, not sure what they used but I bought a quart...500 miles it was down a full quart.

I stopped at a different dealer. They only had 5w-30. Said it was factory OEM?

Does it matter?

Lots of posts seem to prefer Mobile?

Can 30 & 50 be used together?

And can any Full Synthetic be be used?

Or would it be advised to keep brands and percentages separate and only change at oil changes?