Loose, rearview mirror housing

• My passenger side rear view mirror upper housing is a tad loose. It jiggles a little bit. Has someone ever taken one apart or is there a way to get behind the mirror and perhaps tighten a bolt or screw or some thing that will make it tight again?:/

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• My right mirror has gotten looser over the years as well. set the glass right where I want it and one good bump or a long series of road vibration and it drops back down.

I love it if someone can answer your question and point the way to tightening her back up

following

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I know that some guys with the early models installed a piece of rubber hose slit lengthwise along the top edge of the mirror to stabilize it. I don't remember what the process is but if BryanL happens to see this maybe he can elaborate. I'm pretty sure he's done that.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Hummm I think I found it. There are two what appear to be eight or 10 mm bolts or nuts on the inside of the mirror casing that I will try to get at with a box end wrench later on and see if they need tightening..

As far as your issues are concerned, Ed, I also found there are what appears to be four Phillips head screws on the inside of the mirror that hold the housing for adjustment. Not real sure how you get to them however, I’m wondering if the mirror itself has a ball on the back of it and it pops into a socket, I am still trying to find an exploded view online. However, I am thinking that Polaris offers these as a unit and they don’t parts chase them but they had to put them together somehow so the search continues.

• As far as your issues are concerned, Ed, I also found there are what appears to be four Phillips head screws on the inside of the mirror that hold the housing for adjustment. Not real sure how you get to them however, I’m wondering if the mirror itself has a ball on the back of it and it pops into a socket, I am still trying to find an exploded view online. However, I am thinking that Polaris offers these as a unit and they don’t parts chase them but they had to put them together somehow so the search continues.

I am almost 100% sure in my case the ball and socket has just gotten loose and worn. more that likely just an age issue. either way after being reminded about it by your post here I decided to give something a try.

I cleaned all around the edges of the mirror and also around the inside edges of the housing with rubbing alcohol and then after it dried I adjusted the mirror to exactly where I would like it to stay. After I was sure I was happy with the settings I ran a bead of silicon filling the gap around the sides and the top of the mirror. left the bottom open so that any water that might get in there can drain out. going to give this 48 hours to set up good and then clean it up with a razor blade where needed - - hopefully this will hold the mirror and fix the problem, and if not I will pull it off and try something else

Yea, I know it ain't pretty, probably should have used black silicon, but this is what I had on hand, and at this point I care more about the mirror staying put than I do about matching silicon color to the housing - =O

• You can always top coat it with the black.

• You can always top coat it with the black.

Yes, I thought of that. Going to wait and see how it looks after it has completely cured and then going to see if it holds and does the job - - if it does and I dont like how it looks I will probably order some black silicon - - - the question I have is do they make flat black?

• Yes, I thought of that. Going to wait and see how it looks after it has completely cured and then going to see if it holds and does the job - - if it does and I dont like how it looks I will probably order some black silicon - - - the question I have is do they make flat black?

Not sure about the 'black' flat ... you should be able to pick up black at most of the hardware store, Ace, Lowes, Menards, or paint stores, Sherwin Williams, others.

• MADDMOE just wondering, with all the things that you work on have you ever seen a mirror housing completely apart?

I would imagine that the mirror itself is the last thing installed in the housing and perhaps snaps in.

Question is given enough force will it snap out without breaking? Any thoughts?

• MADDMOE just wondering, with all the things that you work on have you ever seen a mirror housing completely apart?

I would imagine that the mirror itself is the last thing installed in the housing and perhaps snaps in.

Question is given enough force will it snap out without breaking? Any thoughts?

......never had to fix the mirrors and there was a time I was thinking of taking em apart but didn't see how and didn't want to pop the glass out and not be able to place it back in , so I gave up.......but I am watching these pics you guys are posting to see who's going to dive deeper into taking the mirrors apart.......I like the silicone fix, waiting to see how that comes out....

• ......never had to fix the mirrors and there was a time I was thinking of taking em apart but didn't see how and didn't want to pop the glass out and not be able to place it back in , so I gave up.......but I am watching these pics you guys are posting to see who's going to dive deeper into taking the mirrors apart.......I like the silicone fix, waiting to see how that comes out....

actually I am pretty pleased with it so far. still want it to finish curing and I still need to road test it later this week, but so far it seems very secure. I cleaned off the glass and it felt very solid, didnt move at all - at this point I feel pretty good that this is going to do the job

• Wonder if this would hide the silicone.

https://www.slingmods.com/pola…%20Aluminum%20Side%20View

yea - I'm not spending $55 to hide the silicone - frankly I don't think it looks that bad