• So the question I have is do wings like this actually provide any benefit? is the downforce generated actually usable in terms of increased traction? and if so is the benefit enough to offset the added weight and drag?

I do like the looks of some of these wings and I think the slingshot with the way the back is designed is one of the very few vehicles where the right wing actually looks good, but having said this I have my own little sort of un written rule where I wont add weight unless it provides enough benefit to offset the cost of that weight - and drag is just as much of a no no as weight - - heck I prefer to remove weight and drag if at all possible - you know - things like parachute front fenders 8o

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So the question I have is do wings like this actually provide any benefit? is the downforce generated actually usable in terms of increased traction? and if so is the benefit enough to offset the added weight and drag?

I do like the looks of some of these wings and I think the slingshot with the way the back is designed is one of the very few vehicles where the right wing actually looks good, but having said this I have my own little sort of un written rule where I wont add weight unless it provides enough benefit to offset the cost of that weight - and drag is just as much of a no no as weight - - heck I prefer to remove weight and drag if at all possible - you know - things like parachute front fenders 8o

Smooth Slingshots are IN ....LOL ,,,,,I have a Smoothie and removed the wing for less drag....

Now lets put some Lead in the alumium swing arm casting and get some traction...Hmmmm ???

And thinking of going to Maggie Valley ..Hope Dave at DDM can work with me there....

Going to call for room tomorrow.

Lift always generates drag.

If you going to go with a rear wing, then the decision is if you want something just for looks, which is what typically most people seem to be doing this for. If it is just for looks, anything goes and just get what you think looks cool or the best for your Slingshot.

There are some profiles that have a better lift to drag ratio then others though. That being said, the rear wings are going to generate more force with speed of the air going over the wing. So, at slower speeds, not much rear downforce is going to be generated, at higher speeds, more will be generated, it is not a linear scale. The reason that you would want more downforce on the back tire is it generates more grip on the rear tire, which can be beneficial around turns at higher speeds. However, at the track the rear stepping out was not common for us to encounter. More front grip at speed would be more beneficial in our experiences at track days for faster lap times. So, if you want more downforce in the back for more grip at higher speeds, the answer is yes that these rear wings can provide that at the cost of adding some drag.

We rented out the entire A2 windtunnel and ran 15 different aero combinations, with a rear wing setup being one of them, and it did show that it generates downforce.

The wing generated the following downforce at speeds -

50mph - 41# of downforce

80mph - 102# of downforce

100mph - 172# of downforce

120mph - 248# of downforce

Of course drag was increased at the same time, here is the required additional horsepower needed at those speeds to generate that downforce -

50mph - 1.5hp

80mph - 6hp

100mph - 11hp

120mph - 20hp

So, with this wing not much additional power is required to generate that downforce. Considering that typically we see around 600# of weight on the rear tire, at 120mph you are adding about 40% more grip on the rear tire and that is a good tradeoff depending on the situation. Also, what was cool is the rear wing also decreased lift on the front slightly.

In the end, most people are just doing this for looks, as with a lot of the other "aero" mods done on the Slingshot. But the proper rear wing, setup correctly, can add some good downforce and be beneficial in some situations.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• I saw your message, give a call tomorrow and we can see what we can do to help you at Maggie :)

• Look forward to meeting you in Maggie.