2015 SS cam sensor sync fault

• Hey everyone working on my boss's 2015 slingshot SL. He is the 4th owner now and i believe the original owner had a Hahn turbo kit installed. ECM has a sticker on the back stating it was tuned by ALPHA Fab Industries. long story short he bought it with the check engine light on and has been battling the fault p1340, SPN 65723, FMI 2 cam sensor sync fault. Fault is intermittent. Drives like a bat out of h3ll until the fault sets. Then a key cycle will reset it and it will run fine. sometimes the fault sets on cold starts. I've also noticed as well when revving it in the shop it tends to cut out and bog down sometimes. SS has new intake cam phaser, both cam sensors, and both cam solenoids replaced. Verified the engine is in time, cam tone rings have not shifted on the cams, scoped my cam and cranks signals as well as the cam solenoid duty cycles. No obvious issues found. My main question is there a scan tool out there that someone has actually been able to look at live VVT data with such as mefi pro? Or has anyone had experience with this issue. Thanks in advance.

• Hey everyone working on my boss's 2015 slingshot SL. He is the 4th owner now and i believe the original owner had a Hahn turbo kit installed. ECM has a sticker on the back stating it was tuned by ALPHA Fab Industries. long story short he bought it with the check engine light on and has been battling the fault p1340, SPN 65723, FMI 2 cam sensor sync fault. Fault is intermittent. Drives like a bat out of h3ll until the fault sets. Then a key cycle will reset it and it will run fine. sometimes the fault sets on cold starts. I've also noticed as well when revving it in the shop it tends to cut out and bog down sometimes. SS has new intake cam phaser, both cam sensors, and both cam solenoids replaced. Verified the engine is in time, cam tone rings have not shifted on the cams, scoped my cam and cranks signals as well as the cam solenoid duty cycles. No obvious issues found. My main question is there a scan tool out there that someone has actually been able to look at live VVT data with such as mefi pro? Or has anyone had experience with this issue. Thanks in advance.

If you think that it may have had a HAHN kit on it, especially an older one from around 2015, the first thing I would do is check the wiring going to the ECM. HAHN used a piggy back controller for fueling and timing early on. We have removed those piggybacks and a lot of times the wires used vampire clamps just simple crush connectors and the wiring was less than ideal. If that was removed there is a good chance that you may have a connection that is intermittent causing the issue if you are not seeing anything else obvious. Not sure if that is your issue, but a place to start.

• If you think that it may have had a HAHN kit on it, especially an older one from around 2015, the first thing I would do is check the wiring going to the ECM. HAHN used a piggy back controller for fueling and timing early on. We have removed those piggybacks and a lot of times the wires used vampire clamps just simple crush connectors and the wiring was less than ideal. If that was removed there is a good chance that you may have a connection that is intermittent causing the issue if you are not seeing anything else obvious. Not sure if that is your issue, but a place to start

Yes it still has the HAHN turbo kit on it. The Sticker on the ECM from Alpha Fab Industries for the tune has a date of 06/22/2015 on it so I'd assume that would have been one of the earlier HAHN turbo kits, The wiring on this engine harness is pretty hammered between the engine mods and wonderful people who wired he stereo, alarm, and aftermarket lighting deciding to tap into the harness in multiple points. Do you by chance know what wires or circuits they tapped into for the piggy back controller or have a picture of a old one or know of the location it may be?

• Yes it still has the HAHN turbo kit on it. The Sticker on the ECM from Alpha Fab Industries for the tune has a date of 06/22/2015 on it so I'd assume that would have been one of the earlier HAHN turbo kits, The wiring on this engine harness is pretty hammered between the engine mods and wonderful people who wired he stereo, alarm, and aftermarket lighting deciding to tap into the harness in multiple points. Do you by chance know what wires or circuits they tapped into for the piggy back controller or have a picture of a old one or know of the location it may be?

The piggyback that HAHN used was the AEM F/IC, here are the instructions for it, but I do not have the HAHN specific ones. Definitely check around the cam sensor plugs on both sides and up at the ECM.

https://www.jegs.com/Installat…ons/0/017/017-30-1913.pdf

I would also pop the black plastic tops on the connectors at the ECM to see if any of the black tape is trimmed or cut back, meaning someone has been into it.

The code you are getting, is it 65723 with a 2 under it on the dash?

• Thank you for the help. The J2 connector (center connector) has definitely been tampered with as seen in the picture. One wire is tapped into for cylinder 1 coil control. I believe he wire tapped into that is for the rpm signal to the AEM wideband it has. I can't see a AEM F/IC anywhere obvious. though i have a lot of aftermarket wiring running back to the radio area and into the under dash area.

Yes you are correct on the fault code, 65723 with the digit 2 under it.

• Thank you for the help. The J2 connector (center connector) has definitely been tampered with as seen in the picture. One wire is tapped into for cylinder 1 coil control. I believe he wire tapped into that is for the rpm signal to the AEM wideband it has. I can't see a AEM F/IC anywhere obvious. though i have a lot of aftermarket wiring running back to the radio area and into the under dash area.

Yes you are correct on the fault code, 65723 with the digit 2 under it.

Dave won't talk BAD about another vendor --- But Hahn did some very BAD work. Most of the guys on this forum would say STAY away from Hahn. Do follow Dave's advice he will give you the best he can from distance.

• After further digging I can't find a FIC piggyback attached to it anywhere. So with the sticker on the back of my ECM from alpha fab industries i would assume that the ECM was tuned in order to compensate for the added turbo.

• Sean at Alpha Fab Industries in Michigan (Not Alpha Motorsports for those who might think they are the same) does/did, not sure if he is still around, Ecotec builds for dune buggies, sand rails, and air boats including turbo installations. If I remember correctly for a short time early on they did some Slingshots with varying levels of success. Don't know if they did tuning for anyone else though.

Anyone else remember them or still have access to the dark side to search for old posts from around the end of 2015 beginning of 2016 ish.

A photo might help positively identify the kit and give a clearer view of the install details.

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• What type of scan tools is everyone using to look at live data? I have a OBD 2 adapter and a generic OBD 2 reader that reads/ clears codes and can look at limited live data. But it will not let me look at map data, VVT data, knock sensor data, ect. not sure if mefi pro or some other type of mefi software would be better.

• Dave@DDMWorks so more info. Did a cold start this morning after running for approximately 30 seconds check engine light set. Cleared the fault. started it 2 more times after that letting it run for 30 seconds each time. On the second startup fault set again (assuming this is a 2 trip fault). Cleared the fault again and performed the same startup procedure as mentioned above to get the fault to set again and it wouldn't set. So not sure if it's temperature related or if it only looks to Run that fault when the engine coolant temp is below a certain temp.

• Dave@DDMWorks so more info. Did a cold start this morning after running for approximately 30 seconds check engine light set. Cleared the fault. started it 2 more times after that letting it run for 30 seconds each time. On the second startup fault set again (assuming this is a 2 trip fault). Cleared the fault again and performed the same startup procedure as mentioned above to get the fault to set again and it wouldn't set. So not sure if it's temperature related or if it only looks to Run that fault when the engine coolant temp is below a certain temp.

With the information you have given so far, it seems that you can get the code to pop up on a pretty regular basis, but not all the time. If the Slingshot was here, I would cut the wire just behind the sensor (leave a long enough pigtail to reconnect later), and run a temporary jumper over to the ECM directly. If you need help with the pinout for the sensor, let me know I can help track it down. That is relatively easy to do, not super invasive and easy to revert back. Do you have any other Slingshots around? If so, you could swap ECM's (along with injectors/MAP sensor) into another Slingshot to make sure the ECM is good and not having an issue.

• With the information you have given so far, it seems that you can get the code to pop up on a pretty regular basis, but not all the time. If the Slingshot was here, I would cut the wire just behind the sensor (leave a long enough pigtail to reconnect later), and run a temporary jumper over to the ECM directly. If you need help with the pinout for the sensor, let me know I can help track it down. That is relatively easy to do, not super invasive and easy to revert back. Do you have any other Slingshots around? If so, you could swap ECM's (along with injectors/MAP sensor) into another Slingshot to make sure the ECM is good and not having an issue.

Thanks Dave for the help. I'll give that overlay a try from the cam sensor back to the ECM. Unfortunately I do not have another Slingshot avalable for testing. Our shop got pretty busy this week so the boss's slingshot will be put on the backburner until things slow down again. I'll keep you updated. Again I really appreciate all of the help.