Engine Stumbling

• So a couple of days ago I was on a 45 mile drive home and about a half way home on the highway the engine cut out for a few seconds. Then it started back up and for the most part was normal the rest of the way home. When I got home I could hear it was idling oddly. I took it out yesterday on a short drive to the store and it stumbled a couple of times. It's hard to tell if its ignition or fuel or something else. I also noticed there is a leak in the seam of the surge tank for the coolant which explains why I have had to add some but I think that could be unrelated. I have a quick video of it at idle and you can hear it stumbling a bit, but when its being driven it behaves normally for a turbocharged slingshot. I am thinking about getting a scanner for it. Any recommended ones? Will it help in diagnosing this issue. I'm about to go dig into it and see if I can find anything obvious but if anyone has any previous experience like this I would love to hear about it. It's a 2018 SLR with 6400 miles on it if that matters.

Video here -> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qcd3Qke0hp0

• About all of us OG recommend changing out the stock plastic tank for these same reasons. I have saved up I think 3 of the good plastic tanks that I have gotten from DDM in Maggie that had been changed out. Early on we had problems getting parts from polaris. I even carry a spare set of rear axle bearings with me when I am out of town. Go ahead and give Dave at DDM a call for a new tank.

• Just my 2 cents... I've had water in my gas on a few occasions. This causes intermittent engine stumbling and stalling. This should be less of an issue with the ethanol added to Kalifornia gas, but I've still had it. You can add some "dry gas" to the tank. If that cures the problem, don't go back to that gas station.

• Is it possible somehow low octane fuel was inadvertently put into the gas tank?

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech…nock-and-how-to-avoid-it/

I never run low octane fuel in any vehicle that I own. Also I never run ethanol fuel unless I have to. High test ethanol free only, the engines will run better and get better gas mileage along with more power. Do not believe everything your government tells you.

• I never run low octane fuel in any vehicle that I own. Also I never run ethanol fuel unless I have to. High test ethanol free only, the engines will run better and get better gas mileage along with more power. Do not believe everything your government tells you.

I put high test in Turbo sling and Vanderhall Carmel and go to gas stations local that I have learned to trust..

And even my Jeep LJ 2006 I put every other tank high test ..And even my lawnmowers all high test and have had no issues last 10 yrs.

Other than Slingshot sitting for 2 yrs and had to put addatives in to clear up after 1 tank ..

• I put high test in Turbo sling and Vanderhall Carmel and go to gas stations local that I have learned to trust..

And even my Jeep LJ 2006 I put every other tank high test ..And even my lawnmowers all high test and have had no issues last 10 yrs.

Other than Slingshot sitting for 2 yrs and had to put addatives in to clear up after 1 tank ..

Yes, I even run the non ethanol high test in the yard equipment

• I never run low octane fuel in any vehicle that I own. Also I never run ethanol fuel unless I have to. High test ethanol free only, the engines will run better and get better gas mileage along with more power. Do not believe everything your government tells you.

When I pump my own fuel in jersey, from my knowledge I believe all the pumps have stickers stating the fuel contains up to 10% ethanol so I believe we don't have much of a choice on that issue? It's NJ.

In NJ it's "considered" illegal to pump your own gas. Most times if you get out of the slingshot (or off the motorcycle) the attendant will bow and let you pump yourself. I have two local stations that insist they must pump the fuel and inform they will be fined if caught. I do not go to those stations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/2…wn-gas-in-new-jersey.html

• When I pump my own fuel in jersey, from my knowledge I believe all the pumps have stickers stating the fuel contains up to 10% ethanol so I believe we don't have much of a choice on that issue? It's NJ.

In NJ it's "considered" illegal to pump your own gas. Most times if you get out of the slingshot (or off the motorcycle) the attendant will bow and let you pump yourself. I have two local stations that insist they must pump the fuel and inform they will be fined if caught. I do not go to those stations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/2…wn-gas-in-new-jersey.html

Yes at my local BP station they let me pump my own... I know with the changes I have made it takes a some patience

to get the gas in and keep it flowing...

• So a couple of days ago I was on a 45 mile drive home and about a half way home on the highway the engine cut out for a few seconds. Then it started back up and for the most part was normal the rest of the way home. When I got home I could hear it was idling oddly. I took it out yesterday on a short drive to the store and it stumbled a couple of times. It's hard to tell if its ignition or fuel or something else. I also noticed there is a leak in the seam of the surge tank for the coolant which explains why I have had to add some but I think that could be unrelated. I have a quick video of it at idle and you can hear it stumbling a bit, but when its being driven it behaves normally for a turbocharged slingshot. I am thinking about getting a scanner for it. Any recommended ones? Will it help in diagnosing this issue. I'm about to go dig into it and see if I can find anything obvious but if anyone has any previous experience like this I would love to hear about it. It's a 2018 SLR with 6400 miles on it if that matters.

Video here -> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qcd3Qke0hp0

Send Kyle D a message, since you have his turbo installed he may be able to help you out.

From the video it sounds like a pop at idle, which in our experience is typically caused by an exhaust leak between the engine and oxygen sensor. Check around all the connections in the exhaust for little puffs of air, which can cause fresh air to get sucked in at idle and cause the ECM to think the engine is running lean, messes with the air/fuel ratio and has the ECM add extra fuel to compensate. Also, you can pull your spark plugs and take a look at them also to see if any of them look different from the others, are they all black, etc.

If you need a diagnostic tool, let us know, we have this one available that could help - https://www.ddmworks.com/Polar…l-by-DDMWorks_p_2992.html

If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know.

Dave