Thoughts on the Car Masters / Gotham Garage Slingshot Conversion?

• So, in my "spare" time, I just put on some car conversion shows for background noise. Last night, I was watching Car Masters: Rust to Riches and they did a slingshot conversion into a 69 Camaro. Not sure of my thoughts on it, especially since they really both verbally and physically trash the original Slingshot body and put this massive 30" wheel and extended swing arm on it. (Just to be clear, I am not trashing them, just not my taste.

Found an article here and if you have NetFlix, the episode is here. (Sorry, couldn't find it on You Tube).

• The rear wheel ruined it. The concept is pretty cool...but in all reality, it would have worked better on a Vanderhall. But then again, I constantly feel that Gotham does some things that they shouldn't. In this case...They took everything that a slingshot is and got rid of it.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• So, in my "spare" time, I just put on some car conversion shows for background noise. Last night, I was watching Car Masters: Rust to Riches and they did a slingshot conversion into a 69 Camaro. Not sure of my thoughts on it, especially since they really both verbally and physically trash the original Slingshot body and put this massive 30" wheel and extended swing arm on it. (Just to be clear, I am not trashing them, just not my taste.

Found an article here and if you have NetFlix, the episode is here. (Sorry, couldn't find it on You Tube).

Neat story, I love our dogs and could understand something like this, but the finished product just seems like a miss to me. It is definitely an original and he will not run into another one like it, but that rear swing arm setup takes weight off the rear tire = less traction than normal and seems way overcomplicated for just gaining a big wheel back there.

• Well my thoughts after seeing it is they should have taken little more time in detailing it...

I think doors on such a body change and fenders would have given it a more cleaner look..

When I was building my body that was all I saw was it needed doors for that smooth flow ..

But the Camaro look is different...

But even with my body I get lots of thumbs up and horn blowing but car guys really

do not pay attention to it ..just the way it goes..

I am doing the same with interior and making new rounded dash to get rid of the chisel look of stock..

Hopefully next Spring will have it done.

.Getting old things do not go as fast as they did as years ago..LOL

Guess I will have to go watch that episode.

What I gather from your post...

Some guys picked a turd, applied their special polish, and now they have a shinier turd, and what they believe is a better turd.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I agree, doors would have definitely helped make it look more like a finished product, or maybe something covering the exposed frame on the side.

• I've watched the series and have found that most of their projects are just not my taste or style. They are definitely a talented group and it's interesting to watch the projects come together, but I usually consider the finished product too gaudy for my preference for simple and clean. I mean, does every car need a cobweb? Kind of loses the originality after a while.

Oh yeah, the Slingshot? Two thumbs down.:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Yeah, so my thoughts.

I can appreciate the effort and work that went into that. Not my style however.

That rear wheel and swing arm was a monstrosity. If you can get into the video, you can see the rear wheel is just inches from the rear deck. Any compression and that wheel is going to hit the back and tear it up. If they had kept it on the stock swing arm with just a 24" wheel, that would have been much better. Did you see how they put an axle thru the rear sprocket to drive a chain drive on the left side of the wheel instead, like a motorcycle? I would have gone wider, not taller.

• Watched that episode and a couple more.

And they should have closed up the sides... it was for a PTSD Vet and his service dog.

I think they are building a lot of fifty foot vehicles...

Any closer than that and what the hell were you thinking?

Last thought...

If that Vet doesn't do his own maintenance, where does he take it for problems?

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: