Laser Alignment

• I was asked to make a short video about Laser Alignment. Every Sling built should be laser aligned for a number of reasons : steering wheel will be straight, tires last longer because they are not scrubbing as much, improves handling (cornering), and makes it easier to steer. I've done hundreds of alignments and have yet to find a Slingshot that didn't need adjustment. The first Gen 2015-2019 are worse than the 2nd Gen 2020-22's. It's not flashy like an accessory, or LED's, or stereo's, etc but consider it important maintenance that can improve your experience and make your Slingshot handle it's best.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• Back in 2015 when the Slingshots all had to go back to replace the steering rack, I drove to NH to have a Laser Alignment at HK Powersports.

They had just bought the system that does CanAm and Slingshot.

MOMS in Foxboro bought it also.

But, can everybody with a good quality alignment machine align them now?

I only ask because they're 7 years old.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• The alignment kit back in the day was not a Polaris kit, it was a generic kit that works on almost anything with wheels. The one problem with the kit is it's almost impossible to get the front wheels aligned to the rear (and do it repeatable across a bunch of Slingshots). That kit had parts that were not connected to the Sling and required a lot more setup to make it work - and provided less accurate results.

The Polaris kit uses a rod through the rear axle with mirrors and lasers on the front wheel. This procedure is very repeatable and insures the front wheel are aligned properly to the rear to prevent "crabbing" - which can cause extra wear on the rear tire. We've lasered Slingshots that were done with that other kit and found them to be off - sometimes by a lot.

We've heard that a lot of dealers either don't have the kit or haven't learned how to use it. X/ It's a disservice to you owners and denies you the chance to have the best possible experience with your Slingshot. Hence the reason we've attended events around the country doing alignments.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• The alignment kit back in the day was not a Polaris kit, it was a generic kit that works on almost anything with wheels. The one problem with the kit is it's almost impossible to get the front wheels aligned to the rear (and do it repeatable across a bunch of Slingshots). That kit had parts that were not connected to the Sling and required a lot more setup to make it work - and provided less accurate results.

The Polaris kit uses a rod through the rear axle with mirrors and lasers on the front wheel. This procedure is very repeatable and insures the front wheel are aligned properly to the rear to prevent "crabbing" - which can cause extra wear on the rear tire. We've lasered Slingshots that were done with that other kit and found them to be off - sometimes by a lot.

We've heard that a lot of dealers either don't have the kit or haven't learned how to use it. X/ It's a disservice to you owners and denies you the chance to have the best possible experience with your Slingshot. Hence the reason we've attended events around the country doing alignments.

My dealer did not even know what it was until I told them. I heard of some dealersthat would not do the alignment even if they had the kit.

Do you have the specs on this rod? I have the rest, new in a box but that rod has been on backorder with my local polaris dealer for so long I forgot how long ago I ordered it. Plus last time I went in the price increased and it's not even here yet... I holds the mirrors I have as I understand it, but can't be too complicated? Appreciate your time Sir.

• Heading out for an overnight ride tomorrow into Friday. Got a room at Patriot Place in Foxboro MA.

So I called MOMS to see if I could schedule a Laser Alignment Friday.

Best they got was November 9th!!

So I called Scranton Powersports in Vernon CT, and they do Laser Alignments!!

Going to make the appointment there for next week.

Does Polaris have there own Laser Alignment tool, or is it that same company that sold them back 7 years ago?

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Polaris has their own alignment tool set. It was sent out by Polaris to their dealers and charged something like $2,500 per unit. Polaris did not even ask if the dealers wanted the alignment set. Some dealers still will not do alignments. I had to tell my dealer what, they had it in the parts room and did not even know what it was. it was and how to use it. The other unit was made and sold by a race shop out of Daytona Beach, I think it is.

• The most common indicator for the Slingshot not being lined up correctly is the steering wheel is not centered while driving. My 2015 steering wheel was off 10 degrees when I received it on Feb. 12,2015. After the dealer got done with the 2 x 4 and string it was 15 degrees and you could tell the difference driving down the road. The first time when lined up with the Daytona shop stuff it was a night and day difference as to the way the Sling drove. I had to drive almost 250 miles for that alignment.

• Polaris has their own alignment tool set. It was sent out by Polaris to their dealers and charged something like $2,500 per unit. Polaris did not even ask if the dealers wanted the alignment set. Some dealers still will not do alignments. I had to tell my dealer what, they had it in the parts room and did not even know what it was. it was and how to use it. The other unit was made and sold by a race shop out of Daytona Beach, I think it is.

The first system was a True Laser Track, that's what I use.