Detachable Steering Wheel

• Watch the depth on some of the quick disconnects vs the yoke and steering wheel position. Some combos will move the steering wheel in or out.

Search here for some info on what others have done.

I'm partial to NRG myself.

And where in Texas are you? I'm in Georgetown (Austin) and there are big groups in SanAn, Houston, and DFW areas too.

• I have and Assault steering wheel with a standard NRG Gen 2 quick release on the DDM Works hub - - it did move the steering wheel about an inch+ closer. At first I was worried about this, but now I actually like it. seems to give more control because of better leverage - - the distance would probably be too close if it were a fixed steering wheel making it harder to get in and out, but of course that's not an issue with a removable wheel. As a side note I have read that we as Americans tend to sit much further back than what is considered ideal, we like to stretch our legs and arms out more than we should which actually reduces control. Anyway here are some snaps of what I installed (as a side note I really love the DDM hub, with the way it flairs out at the back it looks factory not like some after thought like some other hubs - I highly recommend this - see first pic)

And this is an illustration of what some consider to be the ideal driving position, with arms bent at a 45 degree angle when holding the wheel and also a bend in the legs when the peddles are fully depressed.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I’m from South of Houston near Galveston. We’ve only had it since June so we’re still getting our feet wet in the Slingshot community.

• Thanks for the feedback. So I need a hubby’s and a steering wheel correct?

• Thanks for the feedback. So I need a hubby’s and a steering wheel correct?

yes, you need a hub, a quick disconnect & then the steering wheel. You can either get all three from one of the vendors like slingmods.com or slingshot only.com or you can get them directly from the manufactures like DDM, Assault & NRG or any of the others - Personally I got my steering wheel and the DDM hub from slingmods, but I ordered the quick disconnect from Amazon as I found a better price there

• yes, you need a hub, a quick disconnect & then the steering wheel. You can either get all three from one of the vendors like slingmods.com or slingshot only.com or you can get them directly from the manufactures like DDM, Assault & NRG or any of the others - Personally I got my steering wheel and the DDM hub from slingmods, but I ordered the quick disconnect from Amazon as I found a better price there

thank you

• I’m from South of Houston near Galveston. We’ve only had it since June so we’re still getting our feet wet in the Slingshot community.

The best thing that you can do is get LOTS of seat time in before spending to much money on the mods. My favorate MOD is gas for more smiles to the mile. Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity".

• The best thing that you can do is get LOTS of seat time in before spending to much money on the mods. My favorate MOD is gas for more smiles to the mile. Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity".

I appreciate that wisdom. I may or may not have made that mistake before. Ha!

• So, just out of curiosity while we are discussing this topic, what are the reason(s) to install a detachable steering wheel? I can recognize one possibility may be it might make it easier for getting in and out for a relatively few specific individuals. Otherwise, if it's for theft protection, there is really no demand for SlingShots for resale, nor for the parts that one can provide. Besides, thieves would more than likely be loading the SlingShot on to a truck or trailer where not having a steering wheel would be just a minor inconvenience, not a real deterrent?

Bill

• I did not do a quick release but I did use NRGs thinnest hub because my race seat is hard mounted with no slider and the standard hubs moved the wheel too close for my preference. NRG does also make a slim quick release as well. I am also a fan of the flat bottom steering wheels.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• So, just out of curiosity while we are discussing this topic, what are the reason(s) to install a detachable steering wheel? I can recognize one possibility may be it might make it easier for getting in and out for a relatively few specific individuals. Otherwise, if it's for theft protection, there is really no demand for SlingShots for resale, nor for the parts that one can provide. Besides, thieves would more than likely be loading the SlingShot on to a truck or trailer where not having a steering wheel would be just a minor inconvenience, not a real deterrent?

Bill

wjfyfe - For me its kind of like the Slingshot itself - - I didn't "need" it and I easily would have survived without it, But I wanted it anyway - - and now that I have it I am very very glad I got it.

I does drastically improve the ease with which I can jump in or out of the Slingshot, and I do love being able to lock the steering wheel in the cubby behind my seat when I leave my Slingshot to run into a store, but most of all I just think it adds to the "cool" factor and individuality of my Slingshot makes it more of my individual creation if you know what I mean.

Seriously if practicality and need were how we made all of our buying decisions I suspect most of us would never have gotten Slingshots in the first place,

As a side we all know that these days a huge percentage of vehicle thefts are punks wanting nothing more than a "joy Ride" they do not actually want the vehicle they are just Juvenal idiots who see it and want to drive it until they wreck it and abandon it - - - as such I highly suspect the lack of a steering wheel combined with a manual transmission would serve as a very effective deterrent to this type of theft.

But like I said - "it looks cool"!!

• Shadrac - - I think this is the thin quick release that Kyle D is probably talking about - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just be warned I tried this quick disconnect and found it didnt work with the DDM Works hub. So if you are going to get this quick release I would suggest you also get an NRG hub to go with it

• wjfyfe -

Seriously if practicality and need were how we made all of our buying decisions I suspect most of us would never have gotten Slingshots in the first place,

I must admit that I still kinda look for some sort of practical purpose, plus, (more importantly), a comparatively reasonable price, before I will purchase any accessories to our SlingShot. As far as the steering wheel is concerned, I use it for entering/exiting the SlingShot.

Added thought: What is the reality of anybody actually "hot-wiring" a SlingShot?

Bill

• I must admit that I still kinda look for some sort of practical purpose, plus a reasonable price, before I will add accessories to our SlingShot.

Bill

wjfyfe - I totally understand. For most of the time I have owned my Slingshot I did pretty much the same, but as I approached retirement at the beginning of this year I knew my discretionary cash was going to take a big hit and I decided that before that happened I wanted to have that one last binge of getting those last few fun things I had been thinking about - QR Steering wheel, Some under the hood bling, some interior bling. a new horn, hood assist lift springs - - nothing I needed, just things I wanted.

Looking back I have no regrets getting those last few goodies let me feel like I got the things done I had been thinking about when it was still easily doable and now that I am fully retired its a nice feeling - - there done!

• Is this the thin disconnect Kyle D ?
    https://www.slingmods.com/nrg-v3-quick-release-builder

or

https://www.slingmods.com/pola…ort-hub-wheel-adapter-nrg

I want something like this - but would need someone to install it for me :)

You have both of the right parts in those links. I got my hub from Amazon who also has for a few bucks more but its "free" prime shipping and I got it a lot faster than I THINK I would have ordering from a different company. It's hard to beat amazon shipping times in most cases.

Amazon also has that NRG quick release 3.0 part for less as well.. NRG also makes a 4.0. The handles are slightly larger and look a little more like paddle shifters. For me this style was easier to get the wheel off when I wanted it off but was not obtrusive or ever in the way of anything. It just pushed the wheel too close to me. The part number for the 4.0 is SRK-700BK You can see it on amazon here https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SRK…tive%2C103&ref=nb_sb_noss or NRG's site here https://getnrg.com/collections…releases/products/srk-700

If I was going to go back to one I would do the one that Edward Neal mentioned https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…h_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 For me this would be a best case scenario. But if my seats moved front to back or reclined I would go with the 4.0. Just my 2 cents.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• wjfyfe -

When we purchased our SlingShot, at the time we would have been content with the base model, but we didn't want the gray and the dealer refused to remove the SL accessories off of the red one! :S

Bill

• When we purchased our SlingShot, at the time we would have been content with the base model, but we didn't want the gray and the dealer refused to remove the SL accessories off of the red one! :S

Bill

Hehe - when I went in to look at Slingshots I had fully intended to get the base model 2017, but when we got to the dealer they had financing incentives on the 2016 SL of both zero down and 1% financing - - just made too easy - - my fast Red SL home that afternoon

• Is this the thin disconnect Kyle D ?
    https://www.slingmods.com/nrg-v3-quick-release-builder

or

https://www.slingmods.com/pola…ort-hub-wheel-adapter-nrg

I want something like this - but would need someone to install it for me :)

The Slingshot Techs at Neilsen's Ent in Lake Villa, IL. I travel from La Porte, IN to Neilsen's (120 miles one way) for a oil change. They take very good care of me.