2023 year models?

• I have no experience with Vanderhall, they do look very nice, but also very narrow for two adults. Having said this my Slingshot, to me has a very special quality, or perhaps its more of a lack of refinement that I absolutely love. Back a million years ago when I was a kid I first got into two wheels by building my first few minibikes. Dad didnt want me to have one, but after constant badgering on my part he finally agreed that if I could build it he would allow me to have it. It was pretty clear at the time he didnt think it would actually happen, but I think I surprised him, finding an old used 2 1/2 HP lawnmower engine and a used Taco frijol frame and saving my money for parts like a clutch and chain from a local garden supply center I had my first set of wheels up and running within a few months. From there the "mod" bug took over and that minibike started to constantly improve and upgrade, frame changed out to one with full suspension, larger engines, first a 3HP, then a 5 - - road that thing any place we could find dirt even following the railroad tracks many many miles from home - there was something I just loved about that time in my driving/riding experience, the smells of gasoline, the sounds of the engine and the bumps and rattles absolutely everything about it and knowing that I made it what it is and it was the only one exactly like it - yea my friends all had minibikes, but this was mine - I made it!

Whether for good or bad this all came to an end when I bought a used McColloch two stroke racing go-cart engine I installed this in my minibike with a unmuffled expansion chamber and was in my front yard when I started it up for the first time - - damn thing sounded scary as hell to the point where my father came out front and announced - "I'm not letting you ride that thing, your going to kill yourself, lets have breakfast and when were done I will take you to the Honda dealer and get you something nice and safe" - - that afternoon we went and we came home with a brand new street legal Honda mini trail 50 - - I loved it and actually rode it to high school my first semester before moving up to a Honda 100, and then other better bikes after that, but from that point on I lost something. As nice as it was to have a brand new much more polished machine it didnt have the smells and the rattles or the satisfaction of knowing "it was mine, I made it they way" that all of my minibike creations had had there was just something missing that no other vehicle I had in any of the years that followed had.

Well that all changed when I brought my little red Slingshot home. for the first time in what seemed like forever I was smiling like I did back on those first minibikes, the smells, the rattles, the sensations of being totally immersed in everything going on around me my mind was transported back in time to a time I had always cherished and whats really great is that as I have modded and changed things and removed things not only have those feelings remained thy have grown - - - I love my Slingshot, I love that its a little rough around the edges, I wouldn't change a thing about it - - - there is a visceral feeling It gives me every time I ride in it that goes to my core that I just love.

Yes - Vanderhalls, they look nice, but when I look at them, right or wrong, I see the same kind of "refinement" that my first Honda had, and I don't want that - - you couldn't pay me to do that again - - - made that mistake once and at the time it may have been the right thing to do, but now that I have my rattles and smells and bumps and lack of finish and polish back again after all these years - Damn it I not giving it up again

Cage Free - - - She's mine, I made her the way she is, and no one else has one exactly like her. squeaks rattles squealing dirty belt, smells of the world in my face with the wind - - MINE. ALL MINE!!!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Great story, Edward, thank you for sharing! I never built a mini bike but started riding a ratty old 1981 Honda CM400 when I was a broke E-4 in the Navy. During a tropical storm, I could barely make it up the span of a bridge with a 70 mph headwind. Doing what any smart young sailor would do, I bought a tarp and parked it in the living room of my one bedroom apartment and overhauled the engine in the kitchen. Man, those were the days! I kept her for years alongside KZ1000’s, a ZRX-1100, ZX-900, and a 750 Monster. I finally gave her to a friend that had a bad case of bike fever almost 20 years ago. I wish she was parked next to the Slingshot now.

• Well first of all, not all Vanderhalls are created equal. Unlike the Slingshot that are all the same and the different models are based on different colors (and since 2020 a different engine) and a few other minor items, the Vanderhall has the Vanderhall Speedster which was a one seater, the Venus that most people complain about being too small for two people, and since 2020, the Carmel. The Carmel is the one I have and it's the only model that had true doors. The Carmel is built with an 8" wider cabin. Anyone who has seen me, I'm no skinny Minnie and I'm very comfortable inside mine (as well as my new one). It does get a little tight with two people inside, but I've gone on for hours of riding that way and neither one ever complained about being uncomfortable. The biggest feature that sets it off is that you easily can carry on a conversation while riding. Vanderhall only made 250 Carmels in 2020 during their first year of production. So having a VERY limited new vehicle drew a LOT more attention than any stock Slingshots. Not sure how many they sold in 2021 but the factory had closed down for a while for Covid, and they haven't released figures for 2022 yet, but as of late August, they had only made 4100 TOTAL Carmels. As for the power numbers that Kyle quotes, I do beleive that was for the older (pre 2020 models) that used the less powerful 1.4 Liter cast iron block engine. The 2020 and up use the lighter and more powerful 1.5 Liter Ecotech. I have not had access to any dynos with the old one, or this one, so I cann't say what the real rear wheel numbers are. But based on how well it pulls and gaps a lot of Slingshots, I'm sure it far exceeds the 100 rwh that the earlier one did.

Hey, it's all a personal preference. You don't usually hear of someone who bought a Camaro say bad things about it and wish he had bought a Mustang. I've had both the Vanderhall and the Slingshot. They both are great vehicles and have different feelings and abilities. For me, making the decision to buy my first one was an easy decision. It was too difficult and painful to climb over the side AND under the roof to get inside and out multiple times a day to enjoy the day riding with friends. To get in and out of the Vanderhall Carmel is so much easier that the choice was made for me. After having skin cancer and living in Florida, having a roof was mandatory, so staying with a Slingshot would have required me to have the Slingshade. Mine already had two other roofs, so buying a third wasn't high on my list. Bottom line is you buy what you like and enjoy it. Once that enjoyment fades, it's time to move on to something else. One thing for sure is you'll NEVER hear me trash the Slingshot or insult anyone who buys/owns one. Life would suck if everyone had and enjoyed the same boring white car, bike or whatever.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Well first of all, not all Vanderhalls are created equal. Unlike the Slingshot that are all the same and the different models are based on different colors (and since 2020 a different engine) and a few other minor items, the Vanderhall has the Vanderhall Speedster which was a one seater, the Venus that most people complain about being too small for two people, and since 2020, the Carmel. The Carmel is the one I have and it's the only model that had true doors. The Carmel is built with an 8" wider cabin. Anyone who has seen me, I'm no skinny Minnie and I'm very comfortable inside mine (as well as my new one). It does get a little tight with two people inside, but I've gone on for hours of riding that way and neither one ever complained about being uncomfortable. The biggest feature that sets it off is that you easily can carry on a conversation while riding. Vanderhall only made 250 Carmels in 2020 during their first year of production. So having a VERY limited new vehicle drew a LOT more attention than any stock Slingshots. Not sure how many they sold in 2021 but the factory had closed down for a while for Covid, and they haven't released figures for 2022 yet, but as of late August, they had only made 4100 TOTAL Carmels. As for the power numbers that Kyle quotes, I do beleive that was for the older (pre 2020 models) that used the less powerful 1.4 Liter cast iron block engine. The 2020 and up use the lighter and more powerful 1.5 Liter Ecotech. I have not had access to any dynos with the old one, or this one, so I cann't say what the real rear wheel numbers are. But based on how well it pulls and gaps a lot of Slingshots, I'm sure it far exceeds the 100 rwh that the earlier one did.

Hey, it's all a personal preference. You don't usually hear of someone who bought a Camaro say bad things about it and wish he had bought a Mustang. I've had both the Vanderhall and the Slingshot. They both are great vehicles and have different feelings and abilities. For me, making the decision to buy my first one was an easy decision. It was too difficult and painful to climb over the side AND under the roof to get inside and out multiple times a day to enjoy the day riding with friends. To get in and out of the Vanderhall Carmel is so much easier that the choice was made for me. After having skin cancer and living in Florida, having a roof was mandatory, so staying with a Slingshot would have required me to have the Slingshade. Mine already had two other roofs, so buying a third wasn't high on my list. Bottom line is you buy what you like and enjoy it. Once that enjoyment fades, it's time to move on to something else. One thing for sure is you'll NEVER hear me trash the Slingshot or insult anyone who buys/owns one. Life would suck if everyone had and enjoyed the same boring white car, bike or whatever.

You guys need to stop with the Vanderhall talk, I’m starting to get the bug! :D

We all have different taste - and there is no "one size fits all" answer that is right.

Actually to me when I think about it it reminds me of my bike friends back in the day. At the time there seemed to be two primary camps. In one camp you had the Harley guys, they loved their big loud bikes many of which seemed to always have oil leaks and shook like hell and in the other camp you had the crowd that loved the big Japanese bikes and the BMW's that were always spotless, no leaks and road smooth as baby's ass.

I never made it to owning any really large displacement motorcycles, but looking back and knowing how I feel now I think back then I would have fallen in the Harley camp - - - like I said in my prior post the smells, the rattles - - - yea, I know, I'm weird I want to feel it all

But as I said above - no right or wrong - - get whatever makes you happy and screw everyone else who doesn't like it 8o

• I’m not bashing the Vanderhalls by any means. Every one is going to have their preference. In regards to performance numbers, they claim the Carmel with GMs 1.5T engine makes 193hp. However GM rates it at 163hp in the Malibu. On the dyno we see this engine making about 130whp. The Carmel is actually only 50lbs lighter than the current Slingshot R. However, with it producing more torque down low from the turbo and being more aerodynamic, it’s no surprise it will take a stock slingshot to Gapplebee’s. 😉

In regards to making life easier and more enjoyable, the Vanderhall did that for Funinthesun for multiple reasons. So that definitely makes the switch a no brainer for him.

They do drive and ride nice. Having to shake them down after we work on them has gotten me a lot of seat time in them and I’ve had a lot of nice 80+ mile cruises in them and while I have my qualms with them, I got them with the slingshot as well. I’m really just glad we have choices in this market to fulfill everyone’s needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• To add another dimension to this, Justina and I just got our first up close and personal look at a Vanderhall Carmel last week and were able to compare it to our SlingShot side by side. I must admit that the Vanderhall gave the appearance of being much more sophisticated and refined and for that $40,000 plus to be a better value for the money than a SlingShot at the same price?

Bill

Sophisticated and Refined?????

No screen for radio or navigation, shoulder to shoulder seating, seatbacks don't fold forward or back, no door or cover for the trunk space , even if you can get anything inside it, and Most Importantly most of the controls on the nice dashboard are $2 chrome Toggle Switches ( including cruise and lights ) ??????????

• Sophisticated and Refined?????

No screen for radio or navigation, shoulder to shoulder seating, seatbacks don't fold forward or back, no door or cover for the trunk space , even if you can get anything inside it, and Most Importantly most of the controls on the nice dashboard are $2 chrome Toggle Switches ( including cruise and lights ) ??????????

Two completely different animals….. both are nice but apples and oranges to me.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Not interested in anything newer than what I have - they lost my interest when they switched to the Polaris engine, The idea of being tied to Polaris as the only source of drivetrain related parts combined with an unproven engine - - Not for me!

I love that the GM engine and drivetrain has been put to the test in thousands of different vehicles and millions of miles.

Yep - I'm keeping Cage Free until it dies and then I will either be done or I'll find something different - one sling only, love the one I have and never buying another :thumbsup:

• Not interested in anything newer than what I have - they lost my interest when they switched to the Polaris engine, The idea of being tied to Polaris as the only source of drivetrain related parts combined with an unproven engine - - Not for me!

I love that the GM engine and drivetrain has been put to the test in thousands of different vehicles and millions of miles.

Yep - I'm keeping Cage Free until it dies and then I will either be done or I'll find something different - one sling only, love the one I have and never buying another :thumbsup:

I am with you Edward....I have been thinking of buying a Solo Electric but they are only sole on West Coast... So waiting for them to come East..

I will continue to make the 2016 a work in progress LOL,,and It really is a good handling and plenty of Power as is with turbo..