Hood lift supports

• third time is the charm, Jim I bought all the parts when it was first posted on the forums (long time ago) because it was a great idea (have a lot of stuff in boxes that were great ideas) and then realized I have never had a problem with opening or closing my hood. As a result no reason to do the install, so held on to it in case someone ever needed it.

• Just got, putting on and having a problem. Drilled hole as far forward as I felt comfortable with for clearance (after already drilling one further back). Strut is about an inch too long. Looked up on info on their website and they say you can't compress it to install. I tried anyway and there's no way to get enough pressure on it to compress given where it is, anyone else run into this?

• You can compress it.
    It's just realllllly reallly hard to compress it. Once you do it will be a slight bit easier to push and compress on the SS.

You have to put the end on the floor of the shop. Then push it till it compresses just a couple of inches. Then immediately put it on the SS at the bar on the hinge. Then bow up and take a deep breath and push it. It will collapse and go on the shock tower. It sucks but you can do it. I dread putting mine on everytime I take it off.

It's strange how compressing it once on the floor kinda makes it a slight bit easier to do on the bike.

• Thx, I had already compressed it off the SS a couple of times before installing, just wasn't able to get a good angle on it. Used a small 2x4 with a notch cut out. Laid that down and used a bottle jack from rear latch bracket to wood to compress strut and then slide it off the notch onto the ball.

• When I installed my gas struts, I fastened it to the shock mount and then used it to figure out where to drill the hood hinge piece, checking to make sure everything would fit properly. After drilling, I disconnected the strut at the shock mount and connected the hood end. This then allowed me to compress the strut until I could reconnect the shock end. It does take a fair amount of force to compress the strut.

• have to agree about only needing 1. Honestly been trying to get a small business off the ground. I have a design that I have someone testing. He should get it today. Uses one gas strut and a rear bracket that is further back than the shock location but still uses existing mounting holes. The front hole will still need to be drilled in the hood title bracket.
    If all goes well this may be the first product I offer. Will need to review cost to see if it would be profitable based off comments here. Goal would be to use that to springboard bigger and better SS stuff.

Hey how's your hood lift support testing going? I'm planning on doing something in the next month or so but want to check with you since you might have something in the works before I go purchase elsewhere

Thanks