What do you carry

• Started this because I could not find a current thread and I know a lot of our SS family carry when out and about.... went to a Gun Show yesterday and besides buying 2 Walther PK380's in a Teal color for the wife and daughter... I found this Multiple carry positions, fits just about any handgun...I know all my handguns work in it...so one holster for many handguns is a lot better than a holster for each different caliber handgun...

@rabtech if there is another thread, please feel free to merge this into it.

The Holster King

Gun I got the wife.....

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• Have you carried with this holster yet? I'm looking for a new one.

Hey @Spudinator trying it out now on my side.... holds both my 380 and 9mm with no problem....works on either side for right or left hand draw....... seems to be very comfortable and not really noticeable under my Shirt....seems easy enough to get the gun in and out..... little stiff on the opening but the more I take the gun in and out seems to open it up more.... Gonna wear it the rest of the day while out riding and see how it does...

• Depending on what I'm wearing, what my wife is carrying, and what mood I'm in, I'll OC a full sized Kimber 1911 or Springfield XD9, and if I do that, I often CC a S&W snubnose .38 on my weak side. If I'm CCing, that's my Springfield XDS .45, and either 2 backup mags on my weak side, or a snubbie again. Occasionally I'll carry 2 snubbies, or my Keltec P32 as a backup.

Wife OCs a 3" Kimber .45, or CCs a Sig P938, and often does both at once.

I like the Yaqui slide style holsters for simplicity, but they have two major drawbacks in my eyes. One, retention. I don't necessarily mean someone taking the gun from you, because a lot of people CC with them. I mean, if you fall down (or get knocked down), or have to run, they tend to hold the gun looser than other holster styles, and the gun could come loose. The other issue is the ability to reholster. Many of the slide holsters collapse on withdrawal of the firearm, which means you need two hands, sometimes your eyes, and sometimes some body english, to get the gun back into the holster while you're wearing it. Not optimal.

If I may, you might check out DeadEyeLuke, out of FL. He makes a basic Kydex CC holster called a p-chip, although he has a couple other models. Stupid simple, cheap, and *wicked* comfortable. I have like 7 of his holsters. They are the best thing going for under $30, and although they may not be as much to your liking as some of the $100+ hoksters out there, you can wear the gun all day and forget it's there. I've been CC almost 20 years now, and it's the only holster I'm religious about.

• Recently, with summer months, I am usually in shorts, I have gone to carrying a Glock model 42 in .380 auto. Easily fits into my pocket and is light enough not to bang against my leg.

Literally loose in your pocket, or do you have a pocket holster to keep it oriented correctly and to keep the dirt & lint out?

• just in the pocket, smaller profile, easier access - but don't keep a round in the chamber

Well, that's one way to do it, and certainly your call. I will say that there is proven evidence that Israeli carry (no round in the chamber) is by far slower in response to a threat, AND it requires you to make an extra movement (racking the slide) at a time when your adrenaline is probably going to be pumping hard, which significantly impacts your fine motor skills. You may find yourself unable to grab the slide, or even worse, forget under stress that you don't have a round in the chamber, and try to return fire without racking the slide. It's been done.

There are a couple companies that make some very good pocket holsters. Fit neatly in the pocket, don't really add any bulk, keep the gun oriented for a more expedient draw, keep the trigger clear, keep the lint and dirt out of the action, AND breaks up the outline of the gun so you aren't printing. If you have any inclination at all, I highly recommend looking into something like that.

I would also tell you, if you carry, there are two readings I consider mandatory. One is Jeff Cooper's color codes, you can Google for that. The other is a book called "On Combat," by Grossman. Well worth the $12-15 to pick up, and you'll read it more than once, I'm willing to bet.

Good for you for carrying. That puts you ahead of a large percentage of the populace. Keep learning and training. Stay safe!

• Hey @Spudinator trying it out now on my side.... holds both my 380 and 9mm with no problem....works on either side for right or left hand draw....... seems to be very comfortable and not really noticeable under my Shirt....seems easy enough to get the gun in and out..... little stiff on the opening but the more I take the gun in and out seems to open it up more.... Gonna wear it the rest of the day while out riding and see how it does...

That's great. Let me know. I carry a Ruger 380 but I have a Springfield XD9 that I love and I would like to carry. I just can't find a comfortable holster.

• S&W Shield 9mm in a Crossbreed IWB, a Kahr CM9 in a Crossbreed micro clip, Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster or open carry a custom 1911 in a Bar-B-Q style custom pancake (Texas members will understand). All depends on mood, dress, physical pain that day and perceived risk.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• Literally loose in your pocket, or do you have a pocket holster to keep it oriented correctly and to keep the dirt & lint out?

I carry the same model glock in my pocket. I'm usually in cargo shorts and flip flops during the summer.

Conceal carry ideas/tactics vary and I'm not trying to change your mind, just giving food for thought. In my former career, I was a tactical narcotics officer. I have been through a few SWAT schools along the way that included a lot of situational basic training. One training scenerio placed us in a 15x15 room with a 5 gallon bucket on our head attached to a pulley. We were armed with a glock 22 sim gun, (shoots 9mm paintball rounds.). Yes they hurt! The actors would set up a scenerio in the room. The instructor would pull the bucket off and you had to assess the situation, make a tactical decision, and shoot to stop the threat. With a holstered gun with a round already chambered, it was extremely hard to shoot the bad guy before he gets you.

My point with this story is, please consider getting a soft pocket holster that conforms to your pocket. This and training/practice would allow you to keep a round chambered. Those few seconds saved not having to chamber a round may make the difference in a situation.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• That's great. Let me know. I carry a Ruger 380 but I have a Springfield XD9 that I love and I would like to carry. I just can't find a comfortable holster.

Hey @Spudinator wore it all day on my hip, 1st the Bersa 380 and for the better part of the day, about 7 hours wore the 9mm and found both to be extremely comfortable. Hardly even noticed I was carrying. no problem in the SS getting in or out and sitting was comfortable, I've had some holsters since they were hard plastic or leather dig into my side when sitting.... not with today's carry......If your looking to carry different calibers but don't want to keep switching out or having to by for each different weapon, then this is great.