What's in your 'go to' Slingshot Cleaning Wash/Clean Kit?

• Hey folks- newish (used) 2015 Slingshot SL owner here. Looking for advice on tools, items, materials to keep on hand for my regular cleaning of the Slingshot. I'm sure there are certain substances and tools that work better with the Slingshot in mind. I'd love to hear, from top to bottom, what your kit and process involves when cleaning your slingshot.

• What tools do you use regularly (I'm eyeing a 1600 PSI Ryobi Pressure washer, California Car Duster, etc)?
    • What are your go to soaps, waxes (links appreciated!)?
    • What do you use for interior surfaces to shine up and protect? (ex: armor all wipes, other?)
    • What are your go to cleaning materials (microfiber cloths, sponges, etc)?
    • Do you have any protective finish protection applied and if so do you recommend? (Acryclic, Teflon, Ceramic?)

I want to make sure I'm keeping this beautiful machine in perfect shape. So I'm gearing up now and looking to put in a repeatable process in place that I can knock out quickly outside the garage after every couple of runs. I also want to make sure I'm not accidentally using any abrasive or non-complimentary products that would harm the Slingshot.

I was also thinking about taking it in to a professional detailing place first (have protective coating applied if thats advised?) to get it tip-top and then maintain thereafter myself? Thoughts on this?

With past vehicles I had developed bad habits of not being vigilant enough keeping up on the cleaning front. That changes now and I'd love to do it right! from the start. Thanks for your help!

• lazarus there's tons of info in these 4 threads. This question is like asking what oil do you use or what tires you run. Everyone has one or more personal favorites that pretty much cover the board. I'm a fan of the Lucas products: slick mist speed wax on the paint, slick mist tire and shine on the tires and black plastic, slick mist interior detailer on everything else.

Slingshot Detailing

Spray Wax Favorites?

Cleaning /shining black plastic

Cleaning Question

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I use those plus the F-11

• For a full blown wash I use Optimum no rinse wash - link

For polishing I use Klasse all in one polish - link

And for sealing after the polish I use meguiar' ultimate liquid wax - link

And for daily touchup spot cleaning and keeping the black plastic looking good I use Lucas Slick mist speed wax and interior detailer - link1 & link 2

For me the thing that ultimately lead me to use the Klasse polish and the Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax is that neither of these products will stain trim or the black plastic like so many other polish and sealant/waxes will - - the slingshot has so much black plastic that could get stained and as such these products just make my life much easier and let me get the job done faster.

Also the Klasse is a non abrasive polish so how much cut & scratch removal I get is completely dependent of the cut of the DA pad I use when applying it. If you dont care about the staining of the black trim Klasse makes a great sealant that you can use as a followup to the Klasse all in one - - its a bit harder to remove than the Meguiars and like I said you do need to be careful not to let it stand the black plastic, but other than this it does last very well and has a good shine - link

For polishing I use a Griots Garage 3" DA and for pads I use Rules 4" pads - - if you have other vehicles this DA is probably too small, but I find the size perfect for the slingshot with its smaller areas

And for towels my normal cleaning towels are - these chemical guys towels

And for polish and wax removal I absolutely love these, a bit over priced, but they really cut the wax better than any other towels - griots garage wax removal towels

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• must add that the Lucas slick mist products have to be the best smelling products you will ever find - even my grandkids will ask what smells so good when they go into the garage after I have cleaned the Sling

• Super, super helpful all thank you!!!

Here's what I ended up picking up and intend on running for regular cleans based on forum recommendations here and picking based on research and my own style:

• For regular washes: Ryobi 1800 PSI 1.2GPM pressure washer + Foam Cannon + 1 gal Meguiar's Hyper-Wash
    • For lightweight detailing/waxing: Lucas SlickMist Interior Detailer + Lucas SlickMist Speed Wax
    • For Windshield cleaning: Plexus Plastic Cleaner (expensive but had rave reviews)
    • For Tire Shine: Meguiar's Ultimate Insane Shine Tire Coating
    • For in-between washes: California Car Duster (seems like folks either swear by this or tell you to NOT use it... since I'm in the desert it seems worth trying for dust removal in-between washes)

Open to feedback on above... the two things I'm not super sure about just yet is what to use for cleaning tire rims regularly (as well as any brushes for that) and what to use for any engine detail cleaning work.

Here's what I ended up picking up and intend on running for regular cleans based on forum recommendations here and picking based on research and my own style:

• For regular washes: Ryobi 1800 PSI 1.2GPM pressure washer + Foam Cannon + 1 gal Meguiar's Hyper-Wash
    • For lightweight detailing/waxing: Lucas SlickMist Interior Detailer + Lucas SlickMist Speed Wax
    • For Windshield cleaning: Plexus Plastic Cleaner (expensive but had rave reviews)
    • For in-between washes: California Car Duster (seems like folks either swear by this or tell you to NOT use it... since I'm in the desert it seems worth trying for dust removal in-between washes)

Open to feedback on above... the two things I'm not super sure about just yet is what to use for cleaning tire rims regularly (as well as any brushes for that) and what to use for any engine detail cleaning work.

Plastic cleaner and I have both but the Meguiar's Motorcycle Plastic Cleaner/Polish is what I am still using on my 104,000 mile stock wind screen. I think the Sling has also had soap and water 3 times since Feb. 2015

lazarus - Plexus is great, but as you say it is expensive. I used to use it until someone turned me onto the Honda plastic cleaner and polish - - I think it is every bit as good as the plexus at a much better price - here is a link - Honda plastic cleaner & polish 3 cans for $25

• garden hose... once a year.

Turtle Ice... for everything except windshield, tires, and engine.

California Duster after every ride.

Swiffer duster for wheels rims.

Rejex for leading edges and windshield.

Yep...

That's it.

Special note...

The California Duster is impregnated with parafin...

Do not use it on your vehicle until it quits leaving tale-tale signs on newspaper.

If you know of a better duster, please tell.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().

• California doesn’t like it 🤬

interesting - I just recently bought this on Amazon and had no problem at all - - Lucas Slick mist

also just yesterday I was at Walmart and they had the Slick Mist Speed Wax on the shelf

• airoutlaw question on the California Duster note- are you saying that it comes out of the box with too much parafin and leaves residue until you knock some of it off with the newspaper? Mine just arrived today and haven't used it yet.

It streaks severely straight out of the bag.

Pretty sure the directions tell how to prep the duster...

If you have a new CCD (California Car Duster), wrap it in newspaper and leave it sit for 3-4 days before using it. The newspaper will 'season' the duster and absorb the extra paraffin wax that usually streaks on first use. Just wrap it, let it sit and forget about it for a few days.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: