HELMETS - what do you wear, or prefer

• mostly I prefer my 1/2 helmet, its what I use 75% of the time. for colder weather I also have a 3/4 helmet as it keeps the ears much warmer. I was using a full helmet for the very coldest rides, but have stopped using that since I retired - now days I wait until its a bit warmer.

In California the Slingshot is still classified as a motorcycle and as such helmets are mandatory, I have heard many people say its not always enforced, but I don't take the chance - even if I might win in court its not worth my time and trouble to have to fight tickets when its so easy to put on the helmet - - also having been hit in the helmet by both a bee and a large June bug at different times when I was driving athigh speed I was rather happy I was wearing it

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I wore a 3/4 helmet with full visor for a couple years. It was pretty useful in rain/sleet, but it got very hot in the nice weather and when I started using ear buds more often they became a real (literal) pain under the helmet.

I just bought a Voss 1/2 helmet with a drop down visor which I think is a good compromise in bad weather, and the setup works much better with ear buds in.

• Helmets mandatory in Canada.

Odd classification. Classified as a motorcycle, so you need a helmet, but you don’t need a motorcycle license. Just a regular car license.

Same thing here in California, its legally a motorcycle so a helmet is required, but the M1 and M2 motorcycle and motorscooter licenses are specifically for 2 wheel vehicles - - - - they are not required for three wheeled motorcycles - - not even a Harley trike

• Same thing here in California, its legally a motorcycle so a helmet is required, but the M1 and M2 motorcycle and motorscooter licenses are specifically for 2 wheel vehicles - - - - they are not required for three wheeled motorcycles - - not even a Harley trike

The two wheel vs three wheel is where things get very confusing in lots of areas. Depends on who is reading what and what time of day.

• kind of ridiculous IMO, Sit in it like a car, drive it like a car, looks like a car, certify it like a bike, wear a helmet like a bike, insurance like a bike

but I digress.....

I will just have to enjoy it like it is.....8)8)

• I can understand (although I don't agree with it) the reasoning for helmet mandates on a Slingshot. The argument that it's "like a car" really isn't at all factual - no collapsible steering column, no padded dash, no air bags no 5 MPH impact bumpers etc. But the totally ridiculous law is wearing protective ear wear (glasses). REALLY? I guess they don't believe that the plastic windshield will stop flying bugs, dirt, critters etc like a glass windshield does. Riding is the only time I wear sunglasses

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I can understand (although I don't agree with it) the reasoning for helmet mandates on a Slingshot. The argument that it's "like a car" really isn't at all factual - no collapsible steering column, no padded dash, no air bags no 5 MPH impact bumpers etc. But the totally ridiculous law is wearing protective ear wear (glasses). REALLY? I guess they don't believe that the plastic windshield will stop flying bugs, dirt, critters etc like a glass windshield does. Riding is the only time I wear sunglasses

point taken. The safety features are not like a car

• kind of ridiculous IMO, Sit in it like a car, drive it like a car, looks like a car, certify it like a bike, wear a helmet like a bike, insurance like a bike

but I digress.....

I will just have to enjoy it like it is.....8)8)

and I say "thank God" if they had designed it to be federally classified as a car it would have had to weigh thousands of pounds more to incorporate all of the required crumple zones and then it would have needed air bags and all kinds of federally required safety crap and additional smog testing requirements and annual checks - - and then if they wanted to maintain the same power to weight ratio due to the added weight it would need a much higher performance engine and in the end we would be looking at a vehicle with a starting price at least 3 times higher

by federally designing the Slingshot to be legally classified as a motorcycle they did something very special - they made a fun as hell go kart that was priced for people like me :00008674:

• Same thing here in California, its legally a motorcycle so a helmet is required, but the M1 and M2 motorcycle and motorscooter licenses are specifically for 2 wheel vehicles - - - - they are not required for three wheeled motorcycles - - not even a Harley trike

seriously? So we can open up this can of worms again? Did something change?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• seriously? So we can open up this can of worms again? Did something change?

SoCal - perhaps my post is confusing - its the motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license, the - class M1 & M2 that are not required for the slingshot or other three wheeled motorcycles in California - nothing has changed - always been this way

Helmets on the other hand are legally required on all motorcycles including three wheeled motorcycles with the only exception being "fully Enclosed" three wheeled motorcycles - what qualifies for this is pretty much up to the judge

again nothing has changed as far as I know

Sorry if my wording was confusing 8o