Slingshot windshield

• hello all. I have a 2017 sl with a factory windshield. I have searched and not really found what I’m looking for. While riding at 60mph me and my wife have to yell to hear each other. I’m 6ft4 and would like a windshield that lets us hear the radio and talk to each other without yelling. I’ve been looking at the madstad adjustable shield. Anyone my size have any advice for a new slingshot rider? Thanks

• I ran the stock Blade that my dealer gave me when I bought my 2015 Slingshot. After about 6 months, I replaced it with the then new MadStad Single Adjustable 13" windshield I also drilled a second set oh mounting holes to allow me to mount it even closer to the hood in cooler weather. I actually made the new holes a little too high and found I needed to raise the windshield before I could open the hood. After becoming paranoid that water coming in under he MadStad windshield might get my turbo gauge wet, I installed a NASCAR style Tallboy +2 windshield that doesn't allow water to come in under the windshield. I'm between 73-74" tall ( now probably closer to 73";)) and can see over either of the tall windshields by tilting my head up a little.

• I also have a NASCAR windshield but have the standard height. I really like it. It is at a nicer angle than most other windshields and the lens is very clear to look through.You can also get replacement lenses if over time yours gets scratched without having to replace the entire thing. They're sold at http://www.allthingsslingshot.com

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I have the Madstad adjustable windshield. But I also have a roof and a rear wind deflector so it really cuts out the noise and wind in the cab.

You don't say if you have a roof, but as much air comes in the back as the front. Think about a rear wind deflector too.

• Think about a rear wind deflector too.

I apologize but I feel the the need to counter you on this point where I installed a rear wind deflector along with our Madstad 9" front windshield and the rear deflector came back off within only a couple of miles, the buffeting become horrendous. I figured the rear deflector was incompatible with the Madstad? This was without the top installed.

Bill

• For me, with Madstad 13", Gull Wing Roof, and Rear Deflector, I get almost no air in the cab. I also have the front side fenders removed plus the DDM Hood Vents, but that was after the above. Truthfully, I have found some times that I put my hand out to the side to get some air.

How far up/down do you have your Madstad adjusted? I keep mine about 1" above the dash to allow some air to come through underneath the windshield. It creates an air bubble in the cab (similar to a pickup truck) that forces the air up and over. I can even wear a ball cap with no issues.

• For me, with Madstad 13", Gull Wing Roof, and Rear Deflector, I get almost no air in the cab. I also have the front side fenders removed plus the DDM Hood Vents, but that was after the above. Truthfully, I have found some times that I put my hand out to the side to get some air.

How far up/down do you have your Madstad adjusted? I keep mine about 1" above the dash to allow some air to come through underneath the windshield. It creates an air bubble in the cab (similar to a pickup truck) that forces the air up and over. I can even wear a ball cap with no issues.

If you have the fenders off, install the cool vent in the side panels. They work without the fenders.

• How far up/down do you have your Madstad adjusted? I keep mine about 1" above the dash to allow some air to come through underneath the windshield. It creates an air bubble in the cab (similar to a pickup truck) that forces the air up and over. I can even wear a ball cap with no issues.

During the colder season, I like to lower the Madstad windshield all the way down so to keep the passenger compartment warmer, the MeanSling Sport Top also helps with this. Riding during the warmer months the top comes off and we adjust the windshield as required so to let through enough ventilating air for desired comfort.

Bill

• how tall is the nascar tallboy? What is the measurement? I have the stock SLR windshield and want to change it to something a bit taller. 6’2 tall, live in Ontario, Canada, so no 100 deg days. Cooler riding beginning and end of summer.
    I prefer to look over not through but need taller than the stock 10.25”

No top planned.

questions
    - do you think the madstad 13” will be too cool in shoulder seasons and allow too much airflow for where I live? I am sure summer would be fine, but cooler months may be an issue

- is the nascar same height as F4+5?, F4+7? I think I could get away with the +5 based on measurements I took.

• Perhaps this will help. It's angled back. I'm 5'8" and look through it. I prefer to look through. If I were any taller, I would get the NASCAR tallboy plus 2 but that is because I prefer to look through.

Hope this helps!

• how tall is the nascar tallboy? What is the measurement? I have the stock SLR windshield and want to change it to something a bit taller. 6’2 tall, live in Ontario, Canada, so no 100 deg days. Cooler riding beginning and end of summer.
    I prefer to look over not through but need taller than the stock 10.25”

No top planned.

questions
    - do you think the madstad 13” will be too cool in shoulder seasons and allow too much airflow for where I live? I am sure summer would be fine, but cooler months may be an issue

- is the nascar same height as F4+5?, F4+7? I think I could get away with the +5 based on measurements I took.

Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity' I have a F-4 5+ tinted on my Slingshot with Baker Air Wings and love the combo. I am 5ft 11in and like to look thru the windshield and I would think that at 6" 2' you would look over. Only way to tell for sure is to sit in one --- some of us are long on top and some on the bottom end. Adding the Baker Air Wings brings cool in and keeps cold out. Enjoy. kev at http://www.allthingsslingshot.com is a great guy to work with.

• Another problem with being in Canada is they are not as many of them, and likely even less modded. So unless I plan on travelling out of the country it would be difficult to sit in one to check differences. No matter whether long on top or short on top, with measurements I can mock up something to give me an idea of how tall it will be on the SS.

thanks Frankie, thats what I am looking for:thumbup:. Would you have one more measurement?, the actual windshield height from the hood to the top of the windshield. the stocker is 10.25, just trying to get an idea of how tall the actual nascar is, and compare it to the F4+5, which would be approx 15" I figure.

Anyone with the Madstad 13" (or even 11" for that matter) have any comments about running it in a cooler climate?

• Another problem with being in Canada is they are not as many of them, and likely even less modded. So unless I plan on travelling out of the country it would be difficult to sit in one to check differences. No matter whether long on top or short on top, with measurements I can mock up something to give me an idea of how tall it will be on the SS.

thanks Frankie, thats what I am looking for:thumbup:. Would you have one more measurement?, the actual windshield height from the hood to the top of the windshield. the stocker is 10.25, just trying to get an idea of how tall the actual nascar is, and compare it to the F4+5, which would be approx 15" I figure.

Anyone with the Madstad 13" (or even 11" for that matter) have any comments about running it in a cooler climate?

Sure, measured centered on the plastic hood insert as shown it is about 11"

• I used the MadStad Single Adjustable 13" windshield for several years before switching to the NASCAR style Tallboy +2. At roughly 6'1" tall, I could look either through or over each windshield by slightly shifting my head position. I switched to the Tallboy +2 because I was worried rain might get under my MadStad and possibly damage my Boost gauge.

I drilled a second set of mounting holes about 1" above the stock holes in the MadStad to allow me to position it lower to the hood for cooler weather. I actually ended up with the windshield so low that I had to raise the windshield to provide clearance to open the hood, so the holes should probably be a little lower than I drilled them.

I don't remember if I have an old pic of that windshield, but I'll try to remember to check.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I used the MadStad Single Adjustable 13" windshield for several years before switching to the NASCAR style Tallboy +2. At roughly 6'1" tall, I could look either through or over each windshield by slightly shifting my head position. I switched to the Tallboy +2 because I was worried rain might get under my MadStad and possibly damage my Boost gauge.

I drilled a second set of mounting holes about 1" above the stock holes in the MadStad to allow me to position it lower to the hood for cooler weather. I actually ended up with the windshield so low that I had to rise the windshield to provide clearance to open the hood, so the holes should probably be a little lower than I drilled them.

I don't remember if I have an old pic of that windshield, but I'll try to remember to check.

OK, so my next question. If it wasn't for your fear of the boost gauge getting wet, would you have changed it? Now that you did, and have seat time with both, if you didn't have to worry about gauges getting wet, which would you prefer? Is the Madstad a lot colder due to the air flow? In the lowest position the Madstad 13" would be 3" above the stock. Did the airflow channel over your head OK, or was it still a bit too low? The weather here it a lot cooler than in Texas, so just asking lots of questions before I pull the trigger on one. No chance to check out other setups in person.