Steering Wheel Play - Is this normal?

• Okay so I've noticed that the play in my steering has gotten worse and worse. Is there something I can do to repair this without having to completely replace the steering rack? 2019 Base SS. This is with SS sitting on the ground, and wheels are not moving at all.

I just replaced all four ball joints and the steering rack. One rod end on the steering rack is not replaceable without changing out the steering rack itself. This is with 25,000 miles since new.

• Okay so I've noticed that the play in my steering has gotten worse and worse. Is there something I can do to repair this without having to completely replace the steering rack? 2019 Base SS. This is with SS sitting on the ground, and wheels are not moving at all.

With the brand-new steering rack at the outside edge of the steering wheel has 2 1/2 inch of so-called play. This is without applying any hard pressure to turn the wheel.

If it's real play from inside the rack, then the only choice is to rep[lace it or live with it. before spending any money, you might want to check all the steering components to see if you have a little play in the wheel bearings, tie rod ends etc. a little times 4 is a lot. Just a thought

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

4 ball joints and the steering rack, 2 seals for the angle drive and the front alignment $2,139 This was last week

• So, I'm just over 18K miles, with 15K of that on the larger 20" wheels in front. I've checked both ends of the tie rods and no play there. Even checked the steering wheel shaft, but this is the only place I see any play. Is this a full rack replacement or some way to repair?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• So, I'm just over 18K miles, with 15K of that on the larger 20" wheels in front. I've checked both ends of the tie rods and no play there. Even checked the steering wheel shaft, but this is the only place I see any play. Is this a full rack replacement or some way to repair?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

It would probably be a full rack replacement as you call it. I do not believe the rack is repairable.

• chavey2 , I've had to replace the rack in my sling twice now and both times it was for inner tie rod end on the passenger's side.

Try lifting the front wheels and then check for movement where the rod exits the rack by grasping the front wheel @ 9 and 3.

• Okay, I jacked up each side of the SS one at a time. Only place I got any play was on the inner side of the passenger tie rod. Outer rod/joints are good, driver side good, only this inner passenger side had anything to it. Still have lots of play in the steering without turning the tires - probably about 10-20 degrees of turn.

• Okay, I jacked up each side of the SS one at a time. Only place I got any play was on the inner side of the passenger tie rod. Outer rod/joints are good, driver side good, only this inner passenger side had anything to it. Still have lots of play in the steering without turning the tires - probably about 10-20 degrees of turn.

Two options

Drive it

Replace it

• Welp, rack ordered - ~$500. Dealer quoted me only 1-1/2 hrs to install - which I think is way low. Even with alignment afterwards, it should be under $1000 - a lot cheaper than I expected, so . . . . Merry Christmas to Me?

BTW, just a shout out to this dealer Alamo Cycle Plex. The reason I decided to have them do it instead of doing it myself is 1) I really just didn't want to, and 2) this dealer is a MAJOR supporter of the Slingshot community. I can tell you that I have received a lot more "value" from this dealer than just this transaction. Heck, just got another free hoodie from them a couple weeks ago at an event. It's worth the 120 miles 1 way to drive to him.

• Welp, rack ordered - ~$500. Dealer quoted me only 1-1/2 hrs to install - which I think is way low. Even with alignment afterwards, it should be under $1000 - a lot cheaper than I expected, so . . . . Merry Christmas to Me?

BTW, just a shout out to this dealer Alamo Cycle Plex. The reason I decided to have them do it instead of doing it myself is 1) I really just didn't want to, and 2) this dealer is a MAJOR supporter of the Slingshot community. I can tell you that I have received a lot more "value" from this dealer than just this transaction. Heck, just got another free hoodie from them a couple weeks ago at an event. It's worth the 120 miles 1 way to drive to him.

Just make sure that they are doing the laser alignment. ALL DEALERS ARE STILL NOT DOING THE LASER ALIGNMENT. I have the Polaris laser kit but still have not used it. I bought the whole kit for $300; Polaris charged their dealers about $2,500 for the kit and did not ask them. They just sent the kit to the dealers

• Just make sure that they are doing the laser alignment. ALL DEALERS ARE STILL NOT DOING THE LASER ALIGNMENT. I have the Polaris laser kit but still have not used it. I bought the whole kit for $300; Polaris charged their dealers about $2,500 for the kit and did not ask them. They just sent the kit to the dealers

Yep, SPECIFICALLY asked that.