Audio Non Geek needs assistance

• Howdy. I never kept up with technology on stereos, amps, blue tooth etc since all my vehicles had good enough sound for this old guy to listen to. Once the Slingshot found its home in my garage, there was no need for me to upgrade the audio since I had other areas that were draining my funds. Plus unless you had it cranked up with better speakers, sub woofer, and amp, you couldn't hear it under power at highway speeds anyways. And I wasn't going to spend the thousands of dollars to go to those "state of the art" systems that would wake up the dead on a calm night.

On my new toy, the Vanderhall,does not have a full radio. It does have a pair of great speakers and a blue tooth receiver so I can listen to tunes from Pandora (or whoever i want to use). Being the control freak and anal person that i am, the only thing that bothers ne is not having a visual display to show volume level (not a major issue) or the tune being played with the artist info. So my question is, does anyone know if there's any manufacturer that makes a display only that will interface with the receiver/amp or whatever is there that makes the blue tooth thing work? If not, i guess I can live with it. I won't install an entire unit just to get the display.

All that being said, any questions you have about what I'm looking for must be basic since I haven't looked under the dash or wherever to look to see what's there.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I was (and am again) thinking the same exact thing. I have a Kenwood in there now - with water damage that finally looks like it is dying. But I find I pretty much ONLY use my phone through Android Auto for Nav and Music. I was thinking of going the same route - BTC only. But I have not found a "screen only Bluetooth Controller". Closest I found was the Kicker KMC5 but again, that's just a smaller-than-2DIN head unit with AM/FM/BT/etc for the same price as a full big unit.

I have not yet found a truly water-proof Double Din unit. The Boss Audio from Slingmods that says it's marine really isn't - it's splash resistant only on the front display, not behind with the electronics. The Sony XAV-AX Series while not officially waterproof, has been shown to be fairly resistant to water, even videos of folks hosing it down with water and it still working. (And truthfully, my Kenwood, while not marine, has done pretty good a couple times getting caught in HEAVY rain.)

Regarding what's under the dash to use - forget it. About the only thing you can really use is the power wires. Slingmods and others sell the wire adapter kits so you can install a different head unit, but pretty much nothing stock will be of much use. Just figure you're starting from scratch whatever you do.

• If you want to display the volume of the in-vehicle music system, I must admit I know nothing about the Vanderhall's sound setup, but I'd recommend contacting Vanderhall and asking if any other customers might have contacted them about a similar solution.

What music source are you currently using? If you're using cell phone as a music source, there's probably an app that shows the volume level. An alternative would be to use a stand-alone MP3 player with a Bluetooth connection to your Vanderhall. In either of these cases, I recommend setting a fixed volume on your Vanderhall's sound system (check with Vanderhall to see if that's possible if the info isn't in your owner's manual) and then use either the app or the MP3 player's controls to view the song title, advance/reverse position, select the next song, display volume, etc,. If using a MP3 player, I'd recommend selecting a unit that allows you to display whatever info you're interested in. This might make a busy display, but you can hopefully select a unit that meets your desires/needs. A quick glance thru the Google Search results from the link below showed a variety of units in different sizes ranging from the size of a large wrist watch to larger units that would most likely be carried in a shirt pocket, but even a larger unit might be held on the dash using some double-stick Velcro tape.

This Google search may have a solution - https://www.google.com/search?…awKHbGzDxcQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA. It's possible to get lost in all of the info the Google search can produce. Selecting ALL for the search results will provide a series of pictures that might help you identify a possible candidate which you can then research for more detail. An alternative would be to Select Images for the Search results which will provide a very broad selection of possible candidate music players.

• Funinthesun - I did a little more research and noticed that some of the music players I found wouldn't meet your needs since they rely on a built-in FM transmitter to get the audio to an FM radio and your Vanderhall doesn't have an FM radio. When I first saw this, I thought the unit itself had an FM receiver and then used Bluetooth to send the music to the vehicle. Just make sure that any music player you might be interested in uses a Bluetooth connection to transmit the music to the Vanderhall.

Some of the music players have a rotary volume control. If nothing else, a dab of paint on the rotary volume control would provide a visual indicator of the volume.

• I have no problem with the volume or really even a need to see what level it's at. I just a simple display only that would be able to show what tune and artist is currently playing. I can live without it, but if one is available, I'd rather not

• I have a volume control and it's all waterproof. All I'm looking for a small dash mounted display without buying all new non waterproof shit and messing with a ton of wires. If it can't be, no problem. Just thought if there was one that anyone knew about, it would be an easy purchase and install. With the small dash, and rear view mirror and gps already taking space on the small windshield, i'm not going to hang the cell phone there as well. I'll just go without the display and live with it. But thanks for all the suggestions so far