DEI Complete Heat Control Kit for the Polaris Slingshot

• For those of you contemplating the installation of the Heat Control Kit, don't be like me! Let me set the scene for you. Wifey and I were recently out riding around in the SS, when she started to complain (not the whiney type) about the heat on her feet. Being the dutiful husband, I cut the ride short and made tracks for home. I jump on the forum, went to SLINGSHOT ONLY, and immediately ordered the Heat Control Kit. Well within 72-hours, the kit arrived. Like a kid at Christmas, I ripped open the box and marveled at all the "shiny stuff"...next best thing to chrome!! I digress. Before heading out to the Sling, I went to Sling Mods to view the installation video. @slingking, you make a killer install video!! Armed with the knowledge, I grabbed the first piece (passenger-side forward firewall) and headed out to the garage. This is where it gets good...sorta'. Upon opening the hood, I was immediately reminded that we had purchased the 2016.5 Slingshot SL! Those who are not familiar with the difference, the 2016.5 has a muffler (exhaust) shroud already install. It is the standoff type...meaning it is installed around the muffler, not ON the muffler. This seriously restricts the placement of the aforementioned first piece. If you have ever seen the passenger-side firewall piece of the Heat Control kit, you will notice the two devices mounted at the lower portion of the shield. This is what you would use to anchor the lower potion of the shield to the rolled frame with the included hose clamps. Guess what? Remember the muffler shroud I was talking about? The lower part or said shroud is already installed in the exact area needed to install the heat shield!! Baffled, I came back in the house, jumped back on the computer, and pulled up the website. Right there in the description of the product...Fitment: Polaris® Slingshot™ 2015-16 SL/LE. No mention of the 2016.5. Go figure!!
    No need to press the panic button yet. Simple solution...unscrew and remove the securing devices on the shield. Move them horizontally outward to clear the muffler shroud securing devices. Don't forget to take some of the included reflective tape and cover the holes from where you removed the securing devices. Problem solved!!! Of course, this install will have to what until tomorrow, now. I have a few other things to get done before work tomorrow. Plus I need to try to find a lift for the Sling.
    I know that some of you are saying "John, since there's already a heat control kit on the 2016.5, why are you installing more?" One word...WIFEY! 'nuf said!
    Pics when I'm done!!!!! :thumbsup:

• For those of you contemplating the installation of the Heat Control Kit, don't be like me! Let me set the scene for you. Wifey and I were recently out riding around in the SS, when she started to complain (not the whiney type) about the heat on her feet. Being the dutiful husband, I cut the ride short and made tracks for home. I jump on the forum, went to SLINGSHOT ONLY, and immediately ordered the Heat Control Kit. Well within 72-hours, the kit arrived. Like a kid at Christmas, I ripped open the box and marveled at all the "shiny stuff"...next best thing to chrome!! I digress. Before heading out to the Sling, I went to Sling Mods to view the installation video. @slingking, you make a killer install video!! Armed with the knowledge, I grabbed the first piece (passenger-side forward firewall) and headed out to the garage. This is where it gets good...sorta'. Upon opening the hood, I was immediately reminded that we had purchased the 2016.5 Slingshot SL! Those who are not familiar with the difference, the 2016.5 has a muffler (exhaust) shroud already install. It is the standoff type...meaning it is installed around the muffler, not ON the muffler. This seriously restricts the placement of the aforementioned first piece. If you have ever seen the passenger-side firewall piece of the Heat Control kit, you will notice the two devices mounted at the lower portion of the shield. This is what you would use to anchor the lower potion of the shield to the rolled frame with the included hose clamps. Guess what? Remember the muffler shroud I was talking about? The lower part or said shroud is already installed in the exact area needed to install the heat shield!! Baffled, I came back in the house, jumped back on the computer, and pulled up the website. Right there in the description of the product...Fitment: Polaris® Slingshot™ 2015-16 SL/LE. No mention of the 2016.5. Go figure!!
    No need to press the panic button yet. Simple solution...unscrew and remove the securing devices on the shield. Move them horizontally outward to clear the muffler shroud securing devices. Don't forget to take some of the included reflective tape and cover the holes from where you removed the securing devices. Problem solved!!! Of course, this install will have to what until tomorrow, now. I have a few other things to get done before work tomorrow. Plus I need to try to find a lift for the Sling.
    I know that some of you are saying "John, since there's already a heat control kit on the 2016.5, why are you installing more?" One word...WIFEY! 'nuf said!

Thanks V-SHOT the kid words are much appreciated! :)

John, I'm surprised I couldn't hear the cusswords from my place!

• Were you able to maneuver the passenger firewall piece around the exhaust shroud, or did you end up removing the shroud, install the firewall piece, then re-install the shroud?

:SILVERSS:

Edited once, last by V-SHOT: delete double post ().

• I have a 2016.5 and I immediately swapped my header and exhaust over so no Polaris muffler shroud to worry about. The DEI kit is the second one I have installed, great kit and not hard to do.