Difference in Madstad Gen 1 and Gen 2 windshields?

• Madstad Gen 1 windshield after striking a raven at highway speeds where you can see by the pictures attached what the result was.

(I apologize for the distorted view, but I have yet to figure how to transfer pictures from my phone)

You will notice that it was the plastic mounting base that took the brunt of the damage. While we are considering options for a replacement, I noticed that the system for the 2020 and 2021 models now utilize aluminum bases rather than plastic, so I am curious if anybody here has experience with these yet? Of course, this is only an option for us if the aluminum bases will still fit our 2015?

I have already written Madstad for their advice, but thought I would get the thoughts and opinions of this group also.

Thanks,

Bill

(Just to clarify, I am not condemning Madstad in the least bit with what happened here. There is evidence that the bird was just high enough to slide up the hood into the windshield. If it had been just a little lower it would have hit the front end of the SlingShot itself, in which I would expect that we would be talking about thousands rather than hundreds of dollars in damage.)

bill

• I just received a very prompt reply from Madstad stating the the mounting of their windshield on the 2020-21 models is very different to the earlier models so my question is mute. They are however offering replacement parts at a discount so another thumbs-up for Madstad! :thumbup:

Bill

• As much as I like the adjustability of the madstads I think if I were to ever go back to a full windshield I would have to go with an F4 - - from everything I have found in looking since you posted your first post about what happened the polycarbonate that F4 uses is supposed to be much stronger and and less likely to crack and shatter.

there are tradeoffs of course - polycarbonate is not as clear, and is more likely to dent from impacts and also cant be polished - - - if all thing were equal these things would push me toward the acrylic, but they are not equal and the idea of my windshield breaking into sharp pieces at high speed and those pieces potentially flying into my face or a passengers face is something I find very frightening

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• As much as I like the adjustability of the madstads I think if I were to ever go back to a full windshield I would have to go with an F4 - - from everything I have found in looking since you posted your first post about what happened the polycarbonate that F4 uses is supposed to be much stronger and and less likely to crack and shatter.

I cannot argue, where I am not experienced enough to understand the difference between the plastics. Just to offset maybe some of your fears of the Madstad, in this incident all but one of the pieces remained attached to the SlingShot, so there were no sharp pieces actually "flying around." You are correct where you do need to take extra care when it comes to possibly scratching the windshield. Otherwise, a primary reason for our repurchasing the Madstad would the built-in ventilation system/turbulence reduction, in which we really like. Cost wise, in comparison, the F-4 would be far more expensive, (over $800 as compared to $525), when you consider the addition of the required center post and the Baker wings, plus I have been told that we would not be able to even install the wings due to the MeanSling Sport-Top?

Since you touched on the double bubble windshield, I believe we have discounted that option due to our wet winter driving conditions and that open center section allowing more water into the passenger compartment?

Bill

• On a related topic, I fully expected a drawn out fracas with our insurance company to get them to cover this loss under our comprehensive policy, but I am happy to report that is has already been settled! :thumbsup: The hardest part was getting it across that this is a motorcycle, not an automobile, and that there is no local shop in which to take it to to get an estimate.

Oh, by the way, I just found out that the OEM windshield for the 2015-2017 models is "Not Currently Available.", so it appears that a later model windshield, or aftermarket, are the only options?

Bill

• As much as I like the adjustability of the madstads I think if I were to ever go back to a full windshield I would have to go with an F4 - - from everything I have found ..... the polycarbonate that F4 uses is supposed to be much stronger and and less likely to crack and shatter.

Apparently I have a unique F4 ....it has cracked in a couple of places. I contacted F4 because it is still under warranty. DON @f4customs responded IMMEDIATELY! He said since I bought it through slingmods they would need to handle the warranty. I have had very little response from them. I first contacted them in May and still waiting on a resolution.

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• Edward Neal, this video is for you:

Bill

very compelling reason to favor polycarbonate

as a side note I dont really know what my Polaris OEM double bubbles are made from. being that they were originally sold as a factory option I would think they must be DOT approved. Also I do know that all of the current ripper series that Polaris sells are polycarbonate so I think its a good bet that the double bubbles are as well

• Hey wjfyfe just now I was looking at the ripper windshields that slingshot sells and noticed that their 9.5 inch tall clear windshield actually has built in vents that let air come in at the bottom of the windshield much like you would get with the madstad adjustables

here is a link

and a picture from the link

• Hey wjfyfe just now I was looking at the ripper windshields that slingshot sells and noticed that their 9.5 inch tall clear windshield actually has built in vents that let air come in at the bottom of the windshield much like you would get with the madstad adjustables

here is a link

Well, that would be better than a "solid" windshield I would think? You did compel me to go back and take a second look at the F4, and I made some inquiries about the Baker Wings working with the MeanSling Sport Top and was advised that I was mistaken about them not being compatible. I even looked at the demo sales from F4, which are offering some significant reduced pricing, but I am not really a fan of adding the wings, (with the additional $200), so in the end the built in adjustable venting of the Madstad is still going to keep the scales tipped in that direction for us.

Now, if somebody would come up with a Madstad style windshield made of polycarbonate?

Bill

• Well, that would be better than a "solid" windshield I would think? You did compel me to go back and take a second look at the F4, and I made some inquiries about the Baker Wings working with the MeanSling Sport Top and was advised that I was mistaken about them not being compatible. I even looked at the demo sales from F4, which are offering some significant reduced pricing, but I am not really a fan of adding the wings, (with the additional $200), so in the end the built in adjustable venting of the Madstad is still going to keep the scales tipped in that direction for us.

Now, if somebody would come up with a Madstad style windshield made of polycarbonate?

Bill

I must admit I am a bit bummed by what I have learned because of this thread - - Always figured the Madstad double bubbles would be my backup if I ever need to replace the bubbles I now have. Now I am really doubting that this is a option I would feel comfortable with

oh well my bubbles still look new and its probably not worth worrying about at this point and if the SHTF I still even have my original blade if push came to shove

• very compelling reason to favor polycarbonate

as a side note I dont really know what my Polaris OEM double bubbles are made from. being that they were originally sold as a factory option I would think they must be DOT approved. Also I do know that all of the current ripper series that Polaris sells are polycarbonate so I think its a good bet that the double bubbles are as well

The double bubble windshields were OEM shields for the 2015 Special edition burnt orange Slingshot. I believe that is the only Slingshot that they were OEM on.

• The double bubble windshields were OEM shields for the 2015 Special edition burnt orange Slingshot. I believe that is the only Slingshot that they were OEM on.

yes - I believe you are correct - - the polars website still lists them as a part for that year and they are $175.99 each

parts list

• What I can imagine is that with a polycarbonate windshield being only attached across the bottom and being more flexible than acrylic, the blow from this relatively heavy bird could have caused the windshield to bow over and maybe actually not deflect it as well as the acrylic windshield actually did? But, keeping within the sense of reality of what we do know, where this "extreme" circumstance took over six years to occur, all but one of the pieces remained attached to the vehicle, (the one loose piece remained on top of the dash), insurance is replacing the windshield, with no passenger involved this is more of a circumstance of inconvenience and no where near catastrophic. The only possible catastrophe could have been that there had been a passenger not wearing a helmet...........................

Bill

Added note, Justina and I just took the Grasshopper, sans windshield, for a quick turn about town. Before hand I was considering taking it the 30 miles to work, even without the windshield, but no longer! What a windy #$%@ ..............................................8|

Bill

• YES! I can relate - when I bought the double bubbles I removed the stock blade about a week before the bubbles were delivered - rode it for over a week without any windshield and all I could think was how the heck do people who buy base units with no windshield do it - - I do get pretty good wind with the double bubbles and there is good wind noise, but nothing close to what its like with no windshield at all

• My dealer had 5 2021s on the show room floor with no wind shields. I didn't even know they sold them that way. They must as last Tuesday when I was there the show room floor was empty and he said they just aren't getting any in.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• My dealer had 5 2021s on the show room floor with no wind shields. I didn't even know they sold them that way. They must as last Tuesday when I was there the show room floor was empty and he said they just aren't getting any in.

The low end Slingshot has never had a windshield as part of the OEM equipment.